Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #105
MVP

og236's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip_16
We don't know how the morale will work exactly until we see it or play it ourselves but even tho Nunez moved 4 pts overall a couple attributes could have been bumped up by 1 which in the long run doesn't make that much of a difference

This is how I think it'll work. Plus/Minus 1s in attributes aren't much of a jump, so I don't think it's much of a difference. The overall probably fluctuates due to the amount of attributes getting a +/- 1 or 2 maybe, even then not a big noticeable difference in gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 4
Honestly I'm more interested in player progression then a minor jump in ratings over morale. Player progression needs to be improved and based on performance, training and potential. Potential being the least important of the three. How many times have we seen a player who has a world of talent and simply turned out to be a bust because he had off the field issues. Performance and training are the most important aspects of player progression in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #107
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Honestly I'm more interested in player progression then a minor jump in ratings over morale. Player progression needs to be improved and based on performance, training and potential. Potential being the least important of the three. How many times have we seen a player who has a world of talent and simply turned out to be a bust because he had off the field issues. Performance and training are the most important aspects of player progression in my opinion.
I completely disagree that potential should have the least effect. It should have the highest, followed by training, followed by performance.

I know of plenty of guys that train and work harder than superstars that never amount to anything. Plenty of guys who are one hit wonders and perform well to fall off the cliff. Batting average is alot of luck.

Guys that have the raw tools have the highest potential and when skills like patience and understanding of the game take hold they take it to another level.

Performance is based off the raw skills it is never stats that make a player better.

Where I agree is that velocity and speed should not progress after 22 or 23. They statistically begin to actual start falling off around age 26.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #108
Pro

OVR: 5

I'd love to see a feature in franchise mode that has minor league rehab assignments after injuries. Would add to the strategy involved and make a good use of the existing minor league features.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #109
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I completely disagree that potential should have the least effect. It should have the highest, followed by training, followed by performance.

I know of plenty of guys that train and work harder than superstars that never amount to anything. Plenty of guys who are one hit wonders and perform well to fall off the cliff. Batting average is alot of luck.

Guys that have the raw tools have the highest potential and when skills like patience and understanding of the game take hold they take it to another level.

Performance is based off the raw skills it is never stats that make a player better.

Where I agree is that velocity and speed should not progress after 22 or 23. They statistically begin to actual start falling off around age 26.

Agreed, but only if the range of success to failure is huge. I want a player reaching their potential to be rare. And I definitely want that tied to how I manage the player as a GM. Like I mentioned before things like how many at-bats I give a player, gaining different secondary (or primary) positions based on where I assign them and also reducing/increasing ratings based on how the player is used (i.e. starter moved to bullpen loses stamina and eventually turns into a RP/CP).
Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #110
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19

You make a very good point, however, I think that performance has to be taken into account in some way. You can't have a guy hit 30+ home runs and be a 62 overall next year. Not only is that unrealistic but it also affects player contracts.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #111
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I think as the series progresses you will find more of a balance with progression and lack of attaining it. I think the Show has done a pretty good job of having a roll of the dice with players jumping and falling in potential based on streaks and performance.

Most players never hit their potential in the Show.

Basing progression off statistics is a slippery slope. Look at last year. Statistics provided very little boost yet it negatively impacted pitcher progression. Pitchers continually got better as hitters got worst and stats continued to trend that way in future seasons. I believe the devs were going to look at that for this year.

I personally do not like having stats play a role in progression. If anything a good season may move the progression needle, think of guys that have bad years..should that cause the pendulum to shift in the negative direction?

Mike Trout has bad luck and hits .250...his ratings and potential drop. Stats are based off the ratings and hence every year he gets worst...is that really how we want it.

Players generally get worst because they lose the raw skills as they age. Some players hold on longer by getting "smarter."

Last edited by tabarnes19_SDS; 02-21-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #112
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Something I always noticed was how almost every no swing 3rd strike had my batter look at the ump and complain or osmething, even when I screwed up and just didn't swing at a clear strike.

I wonder if there's a few more animations to the tune of guys just being mad at themselves. I also wonder if they have pitchers who run off the mound to the dugout after a inning ending strike out in the game.
Yeah, and it's also kind of silly watching my starting pitcher, who's taking a shutout into the 7th inning, start arguing with the ump when he strikes out looking. LOL not gonna happen in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »