Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
The whole premise of this discussion is that some people think it's ok to boost/nerf attributes based on morale and others (like me) think it's unrealistic. I think there's a pretty strong suggestion that some people view this morale system as an acceptable way to influence performance via attribute boosts and some people don't want that. To me, changing attributes goes along with a change in skill and physical traits, which is what this morale system appears to be doing.
Again, if you were ever an athlete you'd know that even having a "bad" day or being cranky can affect your performance. Heck I used to play much better at home than I did away because my daughter would attend my home games. Attributes can not and should not be static. Can speed and jumping be affected? I'd say no. But hitting better, making better contact, harder throws is definitely a possibility and can easily be affected by the players state of mind, mood, and in this case morale.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #98
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Again, if you were ever an athlete you'd know that even having a "bad" day or being cranky can affect your performance. Heck I used to play much better at home than I did away because my daughter would attend my home games. Attributes can not and should not be static. Can speed and jumping be affected? I'd say no. But hitting better, making better contact, harder throws is definitely a possibility and can easily be affected by the players state of mind, mood, and in this case morale.
The only ratings that I'd accept being changed by these morale traits would be Vision, discipline, BB/9 and maybe something like basrerun aggressiveness. I can buy the argument that a stressed player might be more aggressive or strike out at a higher rate. But harder throws? No, I do not want that to be affected by morale. Accuracy I could buy, but even that is more of a trained physical skill. I've played under stress and when perfectly happy and the only part of my game that was affected was my decision making. Sure I may have chased more breaking balls that day or threw the ball to third instead of home, but how hard/far I threw they ball was a constant if I was healthy. I never hit the ball further or harder either when I was enjoying life a little more than the day before.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #99
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

Something I always noticed was how almost every no swing 3rd strike had my batter look at the ump and complain or osmething, even when I screwed up and just didn't swing at a clear strike.

I wonder if there's a few more animations to the tune of guys just being mad at themselves. I also wonder if they have pitchers who run off the mound to the dugout after a inning ending strike out in the game.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #100
Banned

Beatles's Arena

Some good stuff in there. Excuse me if this has already been answered but can we finally extend our players during the season in Franchise?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #101
Rookie

RCMacc44's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
Baseball is a mental game. Think of a reason for why one of your players is unhappy and go with it. I think morale affecting performance is better than hot/cold streaks that are unexplained.

Players do have no-trade clauses. Papelbon has 17 teams he doesn't want to be traded to. Maybe if he were on one of those teams he'd be pissed and would play worse. I don't know.
Also Jesse Biddle, the Phillies former 1st round draft pick, was playing great into May of 2014 when he got a concussion from being hit by a piece of ice and going into a depression in which he was unhappy doing anything baseball related. Since then he hasn't kept an era below like 4 or 5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #102
Rookie

Sip_16's Arena

OVR: 1

We don't know how the morale will work exactly until we see it or play it ourselves but even tho Nunez moved 4 pts overall a couple attributes could have been bumped up by 1 which in the long run doesn't make that much of a difference
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #103
Rookie

Belkbuzze's Arena

I really like the addition of morale. To me the challenge will be to tune it to the point it makes the game more dynamic while not making it annoying or time consuming.

I think what we need is enough tools to have a positive influence on morale without having to trade the whole team or fire the manager. I thinking players meeting, benching a player whose having a bad influence, giving a chance to a promising rookie, arguing an umpire after a frustrating game, resigning team leaders, etc.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #104
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

I don't mind having morale in the game, or any sports game's franchise/dynasty mode. The problem is so many attempts to add some sort of morale and/or chemistry feature usually has been fairly unsuccessful. In some games it is impossible to keep most of your players happy all at once, even if you are winning. In other games, it is almost too easy to keep most of your players happy, and they receive insane attribute boosts as a result. So even an average team becomes a power house when all the players are boosted by +3 to +5 or whatever.

If anything, I would like to see morale in The Show only affect "mental" attributes. As others have said, speed or power or arm strength doesn't change whether a player is unhappy or ecstatic. But maybe plate discipline takes a hit when a position player is upset because they are up at the plate just going through the motions? Or for a pitcher, maybe they start having control problems if they are unhappy because they aren't mentally focused?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »