Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #73
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
There is no clearly established formula for calculating WAR.

I disagree with your impression of scouting. Previously "makeup" was a category for pitching. They now have it broken down to bb/9, h/9 etc. That is a major improvement and provides crucial information especially for a guy like me who uses manage mode.
The formula for WAR is well defined, but there are different flavors. There's no sense in adding a stat like WAR into a simulation baseball game unless you are trying to make it reflect the real life calculations to some extent. So far, it looks like they've done a reasonable job approximating WAR with their version. We need to see more data.

You're in the minority if you like the scouting system I'd have to think. You can re-read my earlier post for a summary of some of the main issues. Several threads have appeared on OS addressing this and many people do not even do the scouting because it's so contrived/limited/seems like busy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I think people need to wait until they see the system in place before making judgements. I'm sure it will be subtle ratings boosts, which in reality already occur in the game via slumps and streaks.

I disagree that morale and happiness do not affect a players performance in real life. Just as in any profession the happier you are the production increases. This is reflected by players that are classified as "change of scenery players."

I give you two examples of players who did not perform well with the Yankees because of other factors, who later had all star seasons with other teams where they were "happy." (AJ Burnett, and Randy Johnson.)

Also it is well known Japanese players prefer cities such as SEA, NY, SF, LA and tend to sign there partly because there are other Japanese players there. So the compatriot feature I really like as well.
I know there is a plan in place and by adding new features they are fleshing out the old issues. I heard Ramone say in the interview they have addressed budgets, scouting and progression.

I am personally very excited and hope that they continue to push franchise mode and add the "life" and experiences that will make the mode feel organic.
I agree that we'll just have to see what the new system is all about and that morale certainly could affect performance, but it shouldn't make a player physically better. That's my main contention. A pitcher doesn't throw 91 mph and then uptick to 94 mph because he likes going to his job more. A batter doesn't gain bat speed or foot speed because a fellow Venezuelan is on his team. Keep in mind that players can perform and have performed just fine in situations they don't like. Players can play terribly while in a perfect situation. They are adding in RPG elements (fine for rtts--which is what that mode is--a baseball-themed RPG) into something billed as a simulation baseball game.

I think your case being built around the exception rather than the rule, guys like Burnett, Johnson, and specifically Japanese players (that make up a vanishingly small percentage of MLB players) actually helps reinforce what I'm suggesting. Making something that happens in a minority of cases affect all players, and up to +4 OVR (that we've seen so far), is not the simulation/realistic way to proceed. It's an arcade approach, not a simulation approach.

I am ok with a morale system and I actually would quite like one, but let's have it affect other things (signability, team chemistry, endorsements, other things yet to be determined) and not ratings//physical attributes.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #74
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I actually love the new morale system. This will add a lot more to re signings, free agency and trades. I also don't mind the ratings boost due to a player with good morale and is in form tends to play better; just look at Leicester in the BPL.

Last edited by JayD; 02-20-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #75
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13
did anyone else notice he said Eric Trout! Haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #76
Rookie

Dynasty Legend 99's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I actually love the new morale system! This will add a lot more to re signings, free agency and trades. I also don't mind the ratings boost due to a players morale and form tend to play better; just look at Leicester in the BPL.
I too really like the idea, I really think it will spice up the offseason especially addressing the issue where teams sign guys they don't even need.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #77
Pro

Stolm's Arena

OVR: 0

I haven't played that much Franchise in the past, but the morale system sounds great in concept.

Makes the players more than just robots with stats.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
OMG full career stats are in!!! I'm so freakin happy I can't breathe
It will be interesting to see if minor league stats are included after a player gets called to the majors.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #79
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I really hope team schedules were looked into, mainly teams playing the same inter league teams very year.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 8

I am really psyched about the scouting system, too.

One thing I would love to see from a scouting level is a rating for 'raw tools' like bat speed, hand eye coordination, etc. That way you could draft people with really high ceilings that might not necessarily be big prospects based on athletic ability alone. Would be cool if one out of every 50 or so of those guys ended up being a good player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »