Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale, Drafts Have Been Redone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
A few things I noticed in the stream..

1. They've added more GM goals into franchise mode. Instead of just a 3-year and a 1-year goal, they have some in season things to accomplish like winning streaks, sweeping series etc...

2. Scouting, to my eye, looks very much the same. They have added the 20-80 system as well as spray charts, hot zones, and pitch repertoires (you can see these things before drafting which is nice for stocking a farm system with guys who throw sliders or curves etc..). I also noticed the velocity given as a range, so I'm not sure if min/max velocities are the new thing with pitch repertoires.

3. Among the morale system, there is a "region" attribute where some guys from certain countries will be more likely to sign if other players of that nationality are on the team. Interesting.

4. The WAR for Joe Mauer on his player card is a bit low compared to his FG WAR in real life. On the other hand, we saw that David Ortiz's in-game WAR was a bit high. From only these data points, it appears that The Show's WAR is weighting defense/position a bit less in their calculation.

5. On Mauer's player card, the only new stats appeared to be BB%, K%, and WAR. Some of the older stats may have been removed (HEQ-Q for example). Didn't see wOBA, wRC+, etc.
There is no clearly established formula for calculating WAR.

I disagree with your impression of scouting. Previously "makeup" was a category for pitching. They now have it broken down to bb/9, h/9 etc. That is a major improvement and provides crucial information especially for a guy like me who uses manage mode.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
There is no clearly established formula for calculating WAR.

I disagree with your impression of scouting. Previously "makeup" was a category for pitching. They now have it broken down to bb/9, h/9 etc. That is a major improvement and provides crucial information especially for a guy like me who uses manage mode.
Here's you calculate fWAR: (Batting Runs + Base Running Runs +Fielding Runs + Positional Adjustment + League Adjustment +Replacement Runs) / (Runs Per Win). Couldn't find anything for bWAR. So there is definitely an established formula.

And if you mean in the game, disregard this post.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #67
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Here's you calculate fWAR: (Batting Runs + Base Running Runs +Fielding Runs + Positional Adjustment + League Adjustment +Replacement Runs) / (Runs Per Win). Couldn't find anything for bWAR. So there is definitely an established formula.

And if you mean in the game, disregard this post.
The WAR overall formula is out there, but when you get into the details (i.e. baserunning runs) there is a lot of disagreement between people over how that should be calculated. I think WAR as a concept was been more or less accepted, but it is damn confusing and should be made a lot more clear to people when it is presented in broadcasts or in stat lines. When I see it used I generally feel that most people think it is "Without player X that team would have lost Y more games."

To me it's just a clear way to show a holistic evaluation of players compared to one another, especially at the same position. That is why I was fine with The Show going with their own WAR equivalent. As long as it present a holistic evaluation of the player (offense and defense) adjusted for position and the rest of the league. It could have been SHOW rating = 120.3 and I would have happy.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 02-20-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #68
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
The problem is when they add depth without fully fleshing it out/considering it fully, we get an inferior scouting system that is almost universally panned. Everyone complains about the draft-generated players looking odd, the generated players don't necessarily 'fit in' ratings-wise with the league and long-term shifts in league stats happen, and the system is too easy to game, your scouts don't really matter, there's no depth at all to the players, no signability/agent/injury considerations, and there are fatal flaws like being able to see 100% accurate ratings without scouting at all...etc etc..

I think everyone wants "more stuff to do" and "more stuff to consider" in franchise mode. But, we don't want new things for the sake of them being able to include just another "back of the box" line item. A player morale system, such as what's been in NBA2K for a while now, is a welcome change. But, the issue I have with such a morale system is that attributes/ratings should not be affected by happiness and comfort level. It is arcade-ish and unrealistic for a guy to go from a 30-HR to a 40-HR guy because he's playing home games within XX miles of home or for a pitcher to potentially add velocity because there's another Canadian on his team. There needs to be a consequence/effect for us to pay attention to morale, but the effect needs to be more subtle and plausibly realistic.

These morale issues affecting signability (and even other things) is fine, but I don't think they should go there with ratings.

I think people need to wait until they see the system in place before making judgements. I'm sure it will be subtle ratings boosts, which in reality already occur in the game via slumps and streaks.

I disagree that morale and happiness do not affect a players performance in real life. Just as in any profession the happier you are the production increases. This is reflected by players that are classified as "change of scenery players."

I give you two examples of players who did not perform well with the Yankees because of other factors, who later had all star seasons with other teams where they were "happy." (AJ Burnett, and Randy Johnson.)

Also it is well known Japanese players prefer cities such as SEA, NY, SF, LA and tend to sign there partly because there are other Japanese players there. So the compatriot feature I really like as well.
I know there is a plan in place and by adding new features they are fleshing out the old issues. I heard Ramone say in the interview they have addressed budgets, scouting and progression.

I am personally very excited and hope that they continue to push franchise mode and add the "life" and experiences that will make the mode feel organic.

Last edited by tabarnes19_SDS; 02-20-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #69
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Personally, I'm excited to find out more about the player morale. It is a welcome addition for me as long as it doesn't become too out of control, but even with worst of similar systems I've found ways to work with it. We'll see. Hopefully it's optional for those that don't like such things. I wonder if all the overreaction is more entertaining or frustrating for the dev team at this point?...lol.

I think the only thing that should be taken out of this early info is that Ramone needs to just go ahead and push up the franchise stream and give us all the info on Monday. Please? No? Fine then.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like the first look we get at the interface. Let's hope the editor is still as user-friendly as always. I'm worried all the new morale stuff will add a bunch of new stats and switches I'll have to fix in my mod but then again, once that's done, that's more play depth.

And I love my Guess Pitch crutch! Don't hate on Guess Pitch!

Last edited by Phil Parent; 02-20-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #71
MVP

Awesome stuf!! I'm pumped, can't wait for the Feb 25th stream!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #72
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Umm, Ramone, if you're reading this can I vote against this idea? Pausing the game to make a managerial decision is just fine, and if you map that stuff to the D-pad, I am going to hit it by accident and mess up my games ALL THE TIME. That may be an exaggeration but once would still be too many times. Quick shifts, timeouts, and utility pls, no insta subs.
Agreed and is also why I have hoped for some sort of companion app that could allow you to examine stats, bullpens and subsitions all while the cut scenes and presentation remains on screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »