Home

NBA 2K16: Aggressive On-Ball Physicality

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16: Aggressive On-Ball Physicality within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
Just started!

OVR: 0
I actually love the defense in 2k16..... I'm pretty nice defensively and I must say I feel like I have a chance in this years game. the last 3 clips in this article in my opinion displays very realistic dfense. yes, at times the game is really physical but I comnd 2k for this addition. I mean DOG, not always but 90% of the time I can stop the zigzag cheese. I would prefer a more realistic basketball sim but its just a game yo. I did really enjoy this article btw and also agree with most of what u said. mobb2015 @twitter/utube/twitch(quickplug) What I would like is for the a.i to stop leaving players open. ish blows me
Old 02-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K16: Aggressive On-Ball Physicality

Im glad that this topic is coming up. The on ball defense in 2k16 leaves a lot to be desired in the way of foot work, and as the article mentioned, the physicality.

I think some of the animations in the game are in place because the average gamer is much more relentless than a real player would be (thanks to the forgiving fatigue rate). With that in mind, i can understand that i might be difficult to recreate hypothetical situations that are balanced for the game but some of these collisions are intentionally, unrealistically disruptive. Much more of the subtle contact animations that you highlighted in conjunction with riding animations for many more angles would make a world of difference in the freedom of movement and spacing.

It may not be very apparent but many of the dribble and contact animations in the game promote a wide angle of movement for what i can only assume is to allow maximum time for defensive recovery. Improvements in the angles allowed and duration of perimeter contact animations could really open things up.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 02-13-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #19
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
My man Sam Pham has some awesome videos on how to play on ball defense in this game. Totally changed my outlook on how to play d in this game.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #20
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
In short, the visuals matter as much as the inputs when it comes to making both parties feel like they’re in control in these scenarios. If the overly physical animations are playing out (or no fouls are called when they do), it can look and feel like human bumper cars at times.
We made the bed but 2k provided the sheets: that's what this last paragraph conveys to me. I also gather that defense is the way it is because offense is also liberated to be the way it is and neither simulate NBA mechanics in their entirirety which is a given.

I appreciate the conversation here and the gifs, both have opened my eyes to what you have clearly exposed and opined on. I do hope 2k devs consider your reflections here and pursue cleaning up the mechanics on both side.

As users we are guilty for making a mess of the game but 2k is also guilty for affording us the opportunity to get away with these crimes with no reasonable price or punishment.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #21
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

While I'm here I'd also like to submit my request for a Chase exposè on Steals and Blocks in 2k vs NBA. 👐

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 19
great article.
to remedy this situation- 2k would have to fix the foul logic in this game. not enough blocking or charging fouls are called.
In the videos provided- you clearly illustrate both type of fouls. I see alot of blocking and some charging.

In addition, I believe this also has to do with spacing. The court needs to be a little bigger in realtion to the size of the players. Everything is too condensed.

and finally, I believe that in order to break up the randomness of blocking call etc. There needs to be a variable setting for the refs, similar to the umpires in The SHOW.

Finally, you might be able to neutralize alot of this bumping. if you lower the on ball slider and raise the laterall quickness.

But again great write up
Old 02-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

GREAT write up man. Lot of good points. This aspect of basketball video gaming is probably one of the most difficult to find a balance in- and this is great dialogue to work toward a solution.

Learning how to space on defense has completely changed them game for me, not only does it benefit me, but it stops what many see as unnecessary rotations by A.I teammates...I think this is how 2k actually designed defense to be played. You can tell by the way the CPU AI reacts to space to operate.

I think for too long the press tight on every player was an effective way to play defense in this game and has kind've mucked up progression in this area.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #24
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Great Article that is on point. I think 2k14 last gen had the best balance with on ball defense. That game allowed contact on the perimeter for good defenders, but it gave a good ball handler a slide by animation when guarded tightly by a poor on ball defender. Just increasing the frequency of the "slide by animation" on poor on ball defenders would be good. Additionally, increasing the frequency of blocking fouls on the perimeter when contact is initiated by the defender would help with realism. Finally, there needs to be more charges called to deter offensive barreling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »