Home

MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #209
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
How far we've come from "Baseball" on Atari 2600, "RBI Baseball" on NES, "World Series Baseball" on SNES and Genesis, and even the original MLB series on PS1.
I just don't think we should be making this statement at all. That's not a fair comparison of any sorts, nor is it relevant. The fairest comparison would be to other MLB games, which sadly don't exist. The next fairest comparison would be to other yearly release games by the same development team in this generation, which for the most part is all other sports games. That's why Madden and NBA 2K float in here on posts every so often.

As for wishlists, I've had a small set of wishes since maybe MLB '09, and only one of them had been tackled but not fully addressed. I'm not saying my wishes are top priority, I'm not saying my wishes are easy to make happen, and I'm not saying my wishes aren't from broken facets of the game (only really one of them could be considered one compared to that of the actual game of baseball). These wishes will be brought up by me at least once every year in some thread, whether it's a wishlist thread or from a new video that comes out, or something to ask the OS community guys, etc.

I don't gripe about this game ever when actually playing it. Try and find a post when I do (unless it's reporting a bug or damning my own team in my franchise). My impressions are always solid and praising, and for good reason. This is a quality product through and through. Okay, there are some things on the Vita version I wish they considered doing, but that's now obsolete. Anyway, looking into the next year is when I make those wishes. I've been in possession of every release so far since '09, and I don't intend to stop that flow of purchases that SCEA deserves.

I certainly hope the annual re-reminder of things I'd like to see aren't considered to be complaints, whining, or whatever it is. Granted, some can't really be done anymore, like my Vita cross-controller functionality idea. Others though just strike me curious as to their response toward what it is they are looking to do, not to do, what things are impossible to make happen, etc. I think the most difficult part for me is just not knowing when, why, or how some things can be achieved. I don't want to wish things that can't happen, for instance. I only provide myself with false hope every year that they'll happen only to find out that they don't.

Anyway, the one thing I don't think should be happening though is people saying: "Just be happy that you're no longer playing the games with sprites and dots." I think it's cute when it comes up, but that's not a legitimate excuse for evolution to not continually take place. I get there are limited resources all around, and there always needs to be incentive to buy the next game, but I don't think that doesn't mean we can't still voice our opinions.

Then again, this team deserves praise time to time. If I'm a developer for this game or any software, it wouldn't feel good if we were bashed for a quality product, even if the customer acknowledges that quality. The constant late hours they put into this project, away from their families, and probably doing this so much that even they don't like the game anymore (like me when I'm writing a paper or composing some music, etc.) means that every so often, the only motivation to continue working hard is the behaviorist model of complimenting them with a "good job" time to time. What better way to do it than on a site where there are developers who actually take the time to read, ask, and invites members on what to offer?

So, every so often somebody creates one of these threads. How often? Not enough, but they should be recognized.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...highlight=SCEA
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...jays-blue.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-careers.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...orts-game.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...evelopers.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...anks-scea.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-out-scea.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-you-scea.html

I've never seen another forum or sub-forum go out of their way to commend a video game programming team like this. It's well deserved.

And in my searches I ran across a post of my own that was a mixed bag of defending a complainer (who was thereafter banned), offering constructive criticism, and providing props to Sony San Diego. Constructive criticism doesn't have to be long, I'm just bad at shortening things is all haha.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-09-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #210
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

Ill most likely pre-order as per normal but my excitement level for this game dips yearly, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it will still be a superb game with many, many more pro's than con's but it simply cannot shake off this stale feeling, as far as im concerned.

I dont expect a different looking game every year, it would be stupid to do so, it's the same developer after all, but when so many things go largely untouched for year after year such as commentary, franchise, even the same signature music for like, ever, then you start to compare it to the strides made in other areas of sports gaming such as NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden etc then yes, then it starts to make you wonder why you keep coming back and why '15 feels like '14 feels like '13 feels like '12 etc.

I repeat, it will be a great game, but times change and its simply my opinion that SCEA doesnt move fast enough with them.

Last edited by PsychoBulk; 12-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #211
Pro

adh5199's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk

I repeat, it will be a great game, but times change and its simply my opinion that SCEA doesnt move fast enough with them.
Boom. Nail meet hammer. Hammer meet head.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #212
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The main purpose of this vid was to introduce their cover athlete along with a few nuggets of things they have been working on. I am sure we are at the tip of th iceberg as far as features go. Obviously the game will not check all the boxes on what each individual feels they should have worked on but it will be far from anemic.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #213
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The main purpose of this vid was to introduce their cover athlete along with a few nuggets of things they have been working on. I am sure we are at the tip of th iceberg as far as features go. Obviously the game will not check all the boxes on what each individual feels they should have worked on but it will be far from anemic.
Totally agree with that and all anyone needs to do is just look at last year and the year before that and so on. We always get the cover announcement a long with tiny tidbits and a very short video this time of year. And then most of the good stuff is announced around the last week of January.

There is loads of new info to come
Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #214
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
but it will be far from anemic.
I've got to be honest Nem (and you know me, i've been on here years), anemic is exactly the type of word i'd use to describe this franchise at the moment.

Anemic, stale, stagnant, faded - call it what you will.

I'm not judging '16 by this one video of course not, im more talking about the general way the series has gone the last few years. I truly believe you could play any of the games from 2013, '14 and '15 and be hard pressed to convince a naysayer they really were different games. Great games yes, but, like i said, stale, etc.

Ill keep my hopes up for something a little fresher as the information about '16 starts to come out but as i said previously, my enthusiasm for this games release used to be rampant yearly, now its merely more than a passing interest and that's a great shame.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #215
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
I've got to be honest Nem (and you know me, i've been on here years), anemic is exactly the type of word i'd use to describe this franchise at the moment.

Anemic, stale, stagnant, faded - call it what you will.

I'm not judging '16 by this one video of course not, im more talking about the general way the series has gone the last few years. I truly believe you could play any of the games from 2013, '14 and '15 and be hard pressed to convince a naysayer they really were different games. Great games yes, but, like i said, stale, etc.

Ill keep my hopes up for something a little fresher as the information about '16 starts to come out but as i said previously, my enthusiasm for this games release used to be rampant yearly, now its merely more than a passing interest and that's a great shame.
They are valid points PsychoBulk. The developers are aware of the staleness concerns people have. I know people want change quicker than it is happening but I get the feeling things are being addressed. It won't be turn on a dime change though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #216
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Ill most likely pre-order as per normal but my excitement level for this game dips yearly, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it will still be a superb game with many, many more pro's than con's but it simply cannot shake off this stale feeling, as far as im concerned.

I dont expect a different looking game every year, it would be stupid to do so, it's the same developer after all, but when so many things go largely untouched for year after year such as commentary, franchise, even the same signature music for like, ever, then you start to compare it to the strides made in other areas of sports gaming such as NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden etc then yes, then it starts to make you wonder why you keep coming back and why '15 feels like '14 feels like '13 feels like '12 etc.

I agree. I love baseball and enjoy this game a lot, but I still don't understand why they haven't changed the atrocious commentary and some things do feel like they're moving slowly. This is a PS exclusive and for the most part should look better graphically than multiplatforms like NBA2k in my opinion, but it doesn't. The old player models do bother me and the fact that we see a trailer and it looks like the previous years graphically is a problem. I know it'll be a good game, but I do wish some things were changed by now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »