Home

MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #185
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

Before everyone gets upset, I love baseball and the show, and recently bought a ps4 essentially for this series. As such, I have a high expectation of what this game could, and frankly should, be. If they didn't want undue criticism, they shouldn't have released a video this early.

Something I hope will change is the slight choppiness that to me looks like ps3 era games. Rounding the bases, some swings, fielding, and several deliveries have this look to them that's kind of hard to describe. It's like there isn't a bridge from one animation to the next, and the animations don't look natural, kind of cut and pasted and not smoothed over at all. Nba 2k implemented dynamic shots or whatever, where the shot varied depending on the position and arrangement of the player. That was awesome and did a lot to make the game look great. 2k has the best gameplay plus the best graphics out there.

The engine and animations look pretty much the exact same as it has been for years, and they look very dated. I had hoped that a push to ps4 only would make this better, but judging by that video, it has made it worse, as developers can pour time into cloth textures instead of fluid gameplay. Sandoval has the exact same swing animation that he has had for years now, with no update or smoothing whatsoever. Several times the player jumps right into an animation with no transition. And a lot of what should be fluid motions look like what I can only describe as a polygon with the edges kind of smoothed off. I've seen that double play animation for 4 years now, it looks no better. That baserunning looks terrible. The dive in slow motion clearly shows chops and inconsistencies.

This is a pre beta build, I get that. But I highly doubt the gameplay will see that much improvement. And if it does, then great. But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #186
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Before everyone gets upset, I love baseball and the show, and recently bought a ps4 essentially for this series. As such, I have a high expectation of what this game could, and frankly should, be. If they didn't want undue criticism, they shouldn't have released a video this early.

Something I hope will change is the slight choppiness that to me looks like ps3 era games. Rounding the bases, some swings, fielding, and several deliveries have this look to them that's kind of hard to describe. It's like there isn't a bridge from one animation to the next, and the animations don't look natural, kind of cut and pasted and not smoothed over at all. Nba 2k implemented dynamic shots or whatever, where the shot varied depending on the position and arrangement of the player. That was awesome and did a lot to make the game look great. 2k has the best gameplay plus the best graphics out there.

The engine and animations look pretty much the exact same as it has been for years, and they look very dated. I had hoped that a push to ps4 only would make this better, but judging by that video, it has made it worse, as developers can pour time into cloth textures instead of fluid gameplay. Sandoval has the exact same swing animation that he has had for years now, with no update or smoothing whatsoever. Several times the player jumps right into an animation with no transition. And a lot of what should be fluid motions look like what I can only describe as a polygon with the edges kind of smoothed off. I've seen that double play animation for 4 years now, it looks no better. That baserunning looks terrible. The dive in slow motion clearly shows chops and inconsistencies.

This is a pre beta build, I get that. But I highly doubt the gameplay will see that much improvement. And if it does, then great. But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.

I know exactly what you are talking about and also I think what could be holding back the PS4 version graphics wise is maybe because it already looked so good and above and beyond every other sports game on PS3 that Sony does not feel the game needs to many improvements in that area? Although I will say Sony is doing one heck of a job with all the stadiums on PS4! In my opinion MLB The Show on PS4 is just a wonderful game as it is but we all know it could be epic if just a few areas of the game were greatly improved. Like Player models, Commentary, in game Animations and TV Style Presentation.

Also this video of a "pre beta" build could be pretty old compared to what the final build will look like. I am not saying you would see a huge difference from Pre beta to final build but when 16 is done I am sure it will be one heck of a pretty game!

Last edited by tnixen; 12-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #187
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.
Don't forget that they rebuilt every stadium in the game for PS4... from scratch. Look at some of the old comparison pics and you'll see there's no way the PS3 could come close to replicating what we're getting on PS4.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #188
Rookie

Quote:

Pretty much this
Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #189
Pro

ajblithe20's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm extremely excited for this as I am every year. They always make great improvements every year.

With that said, I agree with many people in thinking the animations need an update. The play on the field just doesn't look as fluid as baseball should, and there has been very little improvement to it over the past several years.

I know this is just the first trailer and many things can change though, so I'm looking forward to all the information they'll give us in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #190
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
Wow, Three and half months away from release date and the " Debbie Downers " are out already complaining on a 50 sec video. Oh well at least it's getting closer to 16 coming out. Guess I will have to break out 15 again and play me some hardball.
Complaining is what gets things done. Enough people complained about the retractable roofs and now they're in. There is no room for political correctness here if you want things done. You doing the game more disservice than good by sitting back and talking about how great it is. I personally think that player models are more important than some stupid retractable roof but that's just one man's opinion
Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #191
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Complaining is what gets things done. Enough people complained about the retractable roofs and now they're in. There is no room for political correctness here if you want things done. You doing the game more disservice than good by sitting back and talking about how great it is. I personally think that player models are more important than some stupid retractable roof but that's just one man's opinion
It's about having good form and having good constructive communication skills. I am always for giving good constructive feedback to the development team. It's all about how you deliver the message.

Piss and vinegar does not take you very far on this forum.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1 (2-1)
MLB 20 The Show - Classic Rosters and Yankees YR8
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #192
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Nope.
Not even close.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »