Home

NHL 16: Official Gameplay Balance Video, Trailer and Blog

This is a discussion on NHL 16: Official Gameplay Balance Video, Trailer and Blog within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16: Official Gameplay Balance Video, Trailer and Blog

I laughed at Andrej Sustr carrying the puck from his end to the other end unchecked completely. Go ahead, you big lumbering neanderthal, just take it up the entire length of the ice in four seconds, no one is going to stop you!

It looks like this year is an absolute don't buy for me. Where's the NZ pressure? A guy like Sustr would be pounced on immediately by the opposition and forced into making a mistake in real life.

The arcadey hockey in EA NHL is here to stay it looks like.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #34
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

I just want to pop back in and mention one thing that I liked.

Trying to focus on some positive here, at least this wasn't a dangle fest video with crap tons of goal scoring and highlight reel moves that EA seemed to think was so important in 15. It was 1-0 in the third period and it looked like a pretty good defensive battle. I liked the sticks in the passing/shooting lanes. I liked the defensive positioning a little better here than it was in 15. The skating does look much improved as well. In fact the improved skating leaves me a little optimistic.

However I still think there needs to be tweaks to how the AI plays defense. bigwill33 mentioned it a couple pages back in this thread, the defence needs to take away space and restrict the ice area that the puck carrier can access. When I play the CPU in a game I'd like to see the CPU skate forward and actually force me to make a quick decision in what I'd like to do with the puck instead of simply skating backwards toward it's own net. When the CPU backs off I could skate in all day to the zone and shoot at net with no problem. With a little pressure from the defenseman I'd actually have to sling the puck around the board or pass it off instead. I WANT to have to do this instead of it being like "Take the puck. Skate into the offensive zone. Shoot puck at goalie."

And please fix the ridiculous goalie saves. Goalies should rarely have to make crazy desperation saves. Keep it simple. End rant.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #35
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

The overhead gameplay video showed a bit more sloppy play than last year. I don't like the lack of neutral zone pressure though. Forwards were still skating into the opposing zone with ease and then laying down a deke. Granted, it looked like the deking wasn't very successful, so that's a plus.

Doc showed no excitement in his voice even though the game was in the last minute of regulation.

I really liked the AI intercepting that cross crease garbage. The defensive AI also seemed to disrupt the play and simply get in the way more which is a major positive.

I didn't see a lot of physicality in the video. No board play or jamming in the corners - which you see a ton of in real hockey especially in the closing minutes of play. Power forwards exist in the NHL for a reason, but in the game they're just slow and don't provide that strength advantage.

I think I saw a glimpse of a player dragging his foot to stay onside which is nice. However, I wish there were more occurrences of offsides from aggressive play in the game. I know stoppages in play are bad thing for online players, but it would be more realistic for offline play.

Overall, there were good and bad things about the video. I'd like to see how the game plays out after I throw the revamped rosters in there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
The overhead gameplay video showed a bit more sloppy play than last year. I don't like the lack of neutral zone pressure though. Forwards were still skating into the opposing zone with ease and then laying down a deke. Granted, it looked like the deking wasn't very successful, so that's a plus.

Doc showed no excitement in his voice even though the game was in the last minute of regulation.

I really liked the AI intercepting that cross crease garbage. The defensive AI also seemed to disrupt the play and simply get in the way more which is a major positive.

I didn't see a lot of physicality in the video. No board play or jamming in the corners - which you see a ton of in real hockey especially in the closing minutes of play. Power forwards exist in the NHL for a reason, but in the game they're just slow and don't provide that strength advantage.

I think I saw a glimpse of a player dragging his foot to stay onside which is nice. However, I wish there were more occurrences of offsides from aggressive play in the game. I know stoppages in play are bad thing for online players, but it would be more realistic for offline play.

Overall, there were good and bad things about the video. I'd like to see how the game plays out after I throw the revamped rosters in there.
Is the revamp possible, or just for yourself on the side?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #37
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Hmm... Anaheim was cpu controlled, correct? They were trailing late in this game and that is when the cpu presses the most (adjusts its strategies to do so). So, if that is the adjustment that will yield the most amount of pressure from the cpu, offline BaGM could be the same as always; a bit of a snooze-fest.

Maybe this isn't the case here (I doubt it), but they did state Allstar-Hardcore; maybe Superstar will have different results, but past iterations tells us that probably won't be the case.

I'd like to be optimistic, and I wish they would give us a level and a setting for a more sophisticated style of play, but I don't know, I don't think we're getting it this year.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3
I liked the balance video. The footage looked cool, but i think the seemless passes are something that I'll have to feel to understand and form an opinion. Can't wait for september.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #39
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
Hmm... Anaheim was cpu controlled, correct? They were trailing late in this game and that is when the cpu presses the most (adjusts its strategies to do so). So, if that is the adjustment that will yield the most amount of pressure from the cpu, offline BaGM could be the same as always; a bit of a snooze-fest.

Maybe this isn't the case here (I doubt it), but they did state Allstar-Hardcore; maybe Superstar will have different results, but past iterations tells us that probably won't be the case.

I'd like to be optimistic, and I wish they would give us a level and a setting for a more sophisticated style of play, but I don't know, I don't think we're getting it this year.
If the defense hasn't changed in regards to the AI playing when their net is (or should be) empty, then more aggressive play by the CPU won't matter much.

I always hated that the AI didn't play any differently when they're down by a goal, with a minute to tie it up. Same entrance into the zone, same lazy play setup, no passing from man to man, trying to move the defense and goalie. No trying to get it to your best shooter, or hell, even get your best players on the ice. I can't count the number of times I've seen a team roll their 4th line out for the last minute, while not taking a time out. There's really no pressure when they pull the goalie. Just block a shot or poke check, and then wait to get the puck back. After that, you simply walk it out, and easily score into the empty net.

Same is true on the opposite side. Your AI teammates are brain dead. No hustle to get the puck, no rushing to keep it in at the blue line, or crashing the net on the shot...everyone's just totally content with maybe losing...maybe winning. Who knows?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #40
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
If the defense hasn't changed in regards to the AI playing when their net is (or should be) empty, then more aggressive play by the CPU won't matter much.

I always hated that the AI didn't play any differently when they're down by a goal, with a minute to tie it up. Same entrance into the zone, same lazy play setup, no passing from man to man, trying to move the defense and goalie. No trying to get it to your best shooter, or hell, even get your best players on the ice. I can't count the number of times I've seen a team roll their 4th line out for the last minute, while not taking a time out. There's really no pressure when they pull the goalie. Just block a shot or poke check, and then wait to get the puck back. After that, you simply walk it out, and easily score into the empty net.

Same is true on the opposite side. Your AI teammates are brain dead. No hustle to get the puck, no rushing to keep it in at the blue line, or crashing the net on the shot...everyone's just totally content with maybe losing...maybe winning. Who knows?
Yeah, note that Shawn Horcoff and Nate Thompson are out there at the last minute for the Ducks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »