Home

Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review

This is a discussion on Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review

We previously posted a review on the 200cc add-on for Mario Kart 8, which you can read here.

While the boy and girl Villagers are both welcome additions to Mario Kart 8, Isabelle, who is the Mayor's faithful dog-secretary, doesn't feel like the best option for a third Animal Crossing character. Shop owner Tom Nook, singer/songwriter K.K. Slider, or even the angry save file manager Mr. Resetti (whose torso will pop up from underneath the dirt to disrupt your drifts in the unremarkable Animal Crossing course) all would have been more interesting representatives from that franchise.

Read More - Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review
Platform: Wii U
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
I don't know if I'd agree with this review, but maybe it comes down to how hardcore you are with your Mario Karting. If we're going to compare it to a COD map pack that costs $15 and gives you, what, 4 maps, I think it's a great bargain to get 16 tracks for $12(if you bought the 2 DLC packs). Maybe it's not fair to equate a track to a map, but hey..they're both new environments to play on. For those that play a lot online I would say these DLC packs are essential just for the added variety you can get.

All that said, I liked the first DLC pack much better than this one.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review

I also liked the first pack much better than the 2nd pack, but I still think it's a pretty good deal for 12 bucks.

I guess it all comes down to how you play Mario Kart. If you just play it casually and spend most of your time offline, then I could totally understand skipping out on the DLC all together. But if you play online on a regular basis(like my wife and I...), it's easily worth the money, if only for the change of pace that comes from any new track.

Plus, there really are some great tracks in both packs. There are definitely a few duds, but majority of the tracks are at least up to par with your average tracks from the original release.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 Review

Nintendo is definitely destroying other game companies when it comes to the amount of stuff that they pack into their DLC. But Nintendo's product quality still seems pretty inconsistent in both of these packs.

Out of everything that they've thrown into the two Mario Kart 8 DLCs, I only find myself using:

Racers = Link, Villager
Vehicles = Blue Falcon, Master Cycle
Tracks = Mute City, Big Blue, Excitebike Arena, Hyrule Circuit

That would've made for one great DLC on its own, but spread across two packs, it feels like there's a lot of filler content in there.

Now that Nintendo has gotten lots of bonus courses out, I hope that they are working on a Battle Mode DLC with SNES, N64, and GameCube battle arenas. Playing Block Fort with 12 people online would be awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »