Home

MLB 15 The Show: Zone Hitting Guide (Video)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Zone Hitting Guide (Video) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #41
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Zone Hitting Guide (Video)

I've been using Zone for years, but since I like the "clean screen" look, I don't have the PCI visible...

This video gave me the idea to go into practice mode with it on and brush up on coordinating the movement of the L3 stick more tightly with the button press...

I used to just move it / hold it there and THEN decide to swing, as opposed to moving it in conjunction with the swing, which is much more effective...

I can now visualize the outline of the PCI with it off better as well...

Sometimes, it's a good idea to back to reviewing the basics in practice mode, no matter how long you've been playing the title!

That being said:

My favorite way to use Zone is to drop it down to the lower half of the zone to protect against the CPU's propensity to pound that area, and also defend against sinkers / curves / sliders / changeups that drop...

If I see or sense that the pitch is coming in higher, I just let go of the stick and it reorients itself to the middle (default)...

Pretty basic, but "foolproof" application:

Hold / access (and possibly) release...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 AM   #42
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
That being said:

My favorite way to use Zone is to drop it down to the lower half of the zone to protect against the CPU's propensity to pound that area, and also defend against sinkers / curves / sliders / changeups that drop...
^^^ This is how I use the PCI/zone hitting as well. I of course have issues hitting high pitches, though. Perhaps I should try letting go of the stick for high pitches like you do ...
Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #43
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

I can't get the pci on high pitches, therefore i suck at hitting high pitchers, especially high fastballs.

Anything low in the zone, i rake, but anything up, not so much.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #44
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I dont hold it the way the video creator does either. I just hold it normally, except my thumb intentionally extends past the analog stick a bit... so that I'm practically touching the stick with the underside of my knuckle, instead of the tip of my thumb. This helps me avoid the "overadjustment" problem that was described in the video, since I'm basically applying pressure to my entire thumb (which is heavier), instead of just the last segment.

I haven't tried it his way before though, so I'm going to give it a shot in my next game.
Jake aka wolverine, I finally get what you were saying about "overextension" lol I totally do that, I just always described it as my own "twitchiness", or excessive movements.

While I can't really use the tip of the thumb placement (it's too uncomfortable for my thumb, and creates too much tension when I prefer to be relaxed & loose), it is a great tip

I'm going to give Bobhead's technique a shot, and try using the underside of my knuckle and see how that feels
Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
Hey guys, I hope you find the video helpful! I'll be making more MLB 15 guide videos, covering various hitting/pitching mechanics and interfaces, so stay tuned for more.

Here is the video on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NC83uuymo

Thanks for posting Chris!
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm usually really good at hitting but I only find myself getting a few runs a game on average. I have the PCI turned off so I'm going to turn it back on and see how I do. Thanks for this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewillyjets
holding the right trigger after the pitch does not list the pitch speed. i wish it did.
I've thought about this as well. That would be a welcome addition for sure
Old 04-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #47
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Jake aka wolverine, I finally get what you were saying about "overextension" lol I totally do that, I just always described it as my own "twitchiness", or excessive movements.

While I can't really use the tip of the thumb placement (it's too uncomfortable for my thumb, and creates too much tension when I prefer to be relaxed & loose), it is a great tip

I'm going to give Bobhead's technique a shot, and try using the underside of my knuckle and see how that feels
Just wanted to bump this thread, and say thanks to wolverine's & Bobhead's tips on left-stick thumb positioning! Played 3 games last night, on Dynamic-All Star, and got my 3 most productive games at the plate!!! Games of 9 hits, 10 hits, and 11 hits! In the 11-hit game, scored a season-high 9 runs, with the Phillies of all teams including two hits by Cliff Lee!

I've been using Bobhead's technique of positioning the stick under the underside of my thumb knuckle (i.e., the crease). It does make it harder to reach the far-right side of the plate. But overall it feels like I get much more precision with shorter movements with this positioning, due to the restricted range of motion.

Hope last night wasn't just a fluke!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #48
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

I tried Bobhead's technique but found myself actually pushing down on R3 - which I think causes drag bunts which usually result in pop-ups in the infield. I going back to the 90 degree thumb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »