Home

MLB 15 The Show: Grading the A.L.'s Signature Home Run Swings

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Grading the A.L.'s Signature Home Run Swings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 15 The Show: Grading the A.L.'s Signature Home Run Swings

We took a look at the National League and some of the most well known home run swings that league has to offer, so I guess it's only fair that we give the American League some publicity as well. After the jump, let's take a look at some dingers and grade some swings.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Grading the A.L.'s Signature Home Run Swings
Platform: PS3 / PS Vita / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 17
How about instead of ripping Abreu for not showboating we simply appreciate a Cuban player that for once doesn't whip his dong out and wave it around everytime he does something marginal decent on the diamond?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Rookie

Schibling's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Grading the A.L.'s Signature Home Run Swings

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebee
How about instead of ripping Abreu for not showboating we simply appreciate a Cuban player that for once doesn't whip his dong out and wave it around everytime he does something marginal decent on the diamond?
Touchy Touchy. If you hit a home run you should be able to celebrate a little bit. im not saying whip your dong around as you put. I mean the pitchers celebrate during a big strikeout dont they. Not everyone is Barry Sanders my friend.

Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Brewers
Philadelphia 76ers
Michigan State Spartans Basketball
Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schibling
Touchy Touchy. If you hit a home run you should be able to celebrate a little bit. im not saying whip your dong around as you put. I mean the pitchers celebrate during a big strikeout dont they. Not everyone is Barry Sanders my friend.
Most of them don't.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0
Same as with the NL, most of these are not good at all. You need to get the follow throughs right before the HR swings will be fluid. They are just glitchy now, esp on the 2 handed finishes because you have that one lumberjack follow through and not some of the shorter ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5
why is it scea obviously isn't using live video to transpose or whatever the word i'm looking for is, every batter's swing/followthrough onto the game, accurately.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcabc
why is it scea obviously isn't using live video to transpose or whatever the word i'm looking for is, every batter's swing/followthrough onto the game, accurately.
Well I can't speak directly for Sony, but I assume motion capture has a lot to do with what they capture, and that's not really how mo-cap works. They can use video for reference material, but still need to actually capture the motions rather than do them by hand.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #8
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

A lot of these are off to semi-off. Being a life long Athletics fan, and watching Josh Donaldson play for the last three seasons, his leg kick is definitely much higher and much more exaggerated almost as if he is going to fall down. Plus, his upper torso has more lean downwards as well. MLB the Show has him a little too much upright position with the leg kick pretty simple, it may resemble, but it definitely is not replicated well.

Another thing I see for why they look off falls back on player models. The heads are much too small for their bodies. Secondly, the bodies are recycled between players. There seems to only be a handful of "thickness" player model available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcabc
I have read that using what you are suggesting makes things easier to work with. You don't have to waste time trying to motion capture it.

It would also be more productive because in game real life baseball action on the field (including all sports) has that "adrenaline" factor that will never be present during motion capture sessions. There's no sense of "urgency" suited up in motion capture outfits. The actors will not be able to replicate what happens on the field of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Well I can't speak directly for Sony, but I assume motion capture has a lot to do with what they capture, and that's not really how mo-cap works. They can use video for reference material, but still need to actually capture the motions rather than do them by hand.
Two different technology from what I understand. Firstly, as pointed out above, in studio motion capture will never replicate what happens on the field of play. Studio motion capture doesn't capture the "adrenaline" rush that happens during live gameplay.

What abcabc is suggesting is a different form of technology (from what I have briefly read, I think, don't exactly recall) makes the whole video game "animation" better, and essentially lifelike because the developers would literally be taking in game footage and using that as the blueprint to replicate runners' stride length, swing and pitching follow through, the way they circle the base path, etc. The player movement in live game footage will be what you'd see in a video game.

Here's an example. Consider a ball hit to the outfielder at the 295 foot mark, outfielder fields the ball and throws it towards home. With real baseball footage, you would see the power in the fielders hips, arms, whole body throw the ball a couple hundred of feet towards home plate. With in studio motion capture, you don't have the luxury of a 400 foot stadium to work with. In studio, you are limited to a confined space. It'll be extremely difficult for the actor to try to replicate a 295 foot throw in a confined studio space. They may try to replicate it, but it will never look/feel like the real thing.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 04-16-2015 at 03:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »