Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #137
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

i like that the timing window is smaller than other hitting interfaces otherwise directional hitting would of been too easy

best mlb the show feature for me ever
Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #138
Pro

OVR: 5

I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to hit a homerun by pressing down for a low pitch? My natural reaction with directional hitting is to push in the direction the ball is to make the hardest contact. If the ball is right down the middle and in the bottom of the strike zone, if I press down and time it perfectly, any chance I'll be able to hit a homerun?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #139
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to hit a homerun by pressing down for a low pitch? My natural reaction with directional hitting is to push in the direction the ball is to make the hardest contact. If the ball is right down the middle and in the bottom of the strike zone, if I press down and time it perfectly, any chance I'll be able to hit a homerun?
Well, by pressing down you're telling your batter to try to hit a ground ball, so you're definitely not helping your cause at all.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #140
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
Directional hitting is not a plate coverage indicator. Pushing down on a low pitch does not, as I understand it, improve the contact you will make. It will only improve your chance of hitting a ground ball.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #141
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I like the new mechanic. When I'm ahead in the count and/or in a very specific situation, it helps me think of my at bat in terms of approach. I like the idea of trying to push the ball through the right side for a hit and run, or trying to lift a fly for a sacrifice, or trying just to hit it on the ground with a speedy player.

In pitcher's counts, I typically don't use the directional mechanic, especially with two strikes, where I'm just looking to make contact and I can't assume that I'm likely to get a pitch in one specific location.

I never played baseball, but thinking of my at bats this way makes sense, and I'm having fun with the mechanic and am getting believable results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #142
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Directional hitting is not a plate coverage indicator. Pushing down on a low pitch does not, as I understand it, improve the contact you will make. It will only improve your chance of hitting a ground ball.
I've hit line drives to the outfield while holding down for a low pitch, so I assumed HRs would be possible too. If I want to hit a line drive a pitch down and in, will holding down and in produce harder contact or ONLY increase the likelyhood of me hitting a grounder down the line?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #143
Pro

OVR: 7

read through the thread, i'm confused.
i have been a zone + analog user since the feature was introduced.
it seems the zone + analog combination still exists. am i correct to think that this years zone + analog combination is exactly the same as last year minus the need to worry about the stride? Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #144
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3

i like the hitting mechanic more than last year but it still gets stale and sometimes even with good contact, correct pitch guess and direction, it feels a little random. I would LOVE to see the hitting mechanics from PYS as an option. PYS, in my opinion, has the most fun hitting mechanic and never feels random.
Golden State Warriors

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »