Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter

I see why they did it though, to broaden the appeal to pre-schoolers and those with casual knowledge of the game (women=majority of peeps on planet)==crass (short term only because it will come back to bite) grab at $.
Speaking of crass.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah, "crass" as in the inability to understand/recognize the difference between one thing and another particularly with regards to quality.....such as when one has been overly conditioned to "accept" things without question
and with no sense of the superior versus, in this case, blatantly and insultingly inferior.

Beyond the unnecessary mechanical changes, no longer is one able to play without discoesque fluorescent flashes everywhere. These serve merely to underline (not disquise) the present crudity slopped over a formerly great game.

Bottom line: they should have asked us, the involved customers, whether we wanted to NOT have the option for the game to be dumbed down.

Last edited by exeter; 04-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #107
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
As much as I think I like directional hitting I always find myself coming back to zone.
So, to clarify:

You can choose Zone OR Directional, but you can't use them simultaneously, right?

If I'm understanding this properly, it breaks down like this:

Zone: Influence BEFORE the pitch

Directional: Influence DURING the pitch

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #108
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
So, to clarify:

You can choose Zone OR Directional, but you can't use them simultaneously, right?

If I'm understanding this properly, it breaks down like this:

Zone: Influence BEFORE the pitch

Directional: Influence DURING the pitch

Thanks!
You are correct that you can't use them simultaneously, but that's not the distinction. Zone is putting your cursor where you think the pitch will end up. Directional is aiming your hit in a certain direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter
Yeah, "crass" as in the inability to understand/recognize the difference between one thing and another particularly with regards to quality.....such as when one has been overly conditioned to "accept" things without question
and with no sense of the superior versus, in this case, blatantly and insultingly inferior.

Beyond the unnecessary mechanical changes, no longer is one able to play without discoesque fluorescent flashes everywhere. These serve merely to underline (not disquise) the present crudity slopped over a formerly great game.

Bottom line: they should have asked us, the involved customers, whether we wanted to NOT have the option for the game to be dumbed down.
Still not sure what you're on about, zone + analog is still in the game.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 7
I think most baseball minded people will enjoy the game more with Zone and button hitting, with no PCI, no Guess Pitch, and no Directional hitting. PCI clutters the view and takes away from seeing pitch. And its just not necessary. Guess pitch like Directional hitting, is an Arcade element, or even a learning curve aid.

Most of these elements, you can and should do in your head. If you want to look fastball, and adjust for off speed, you do. If you have count leverage and want to sit on a pitch, do it. If you want to look on the outer two thirds of plate, you do. If you want to try and go the other way, you let the pitch travel a little deeper. If you want to pull the ball, you get the head of bat out quicker. If you want to get the ball in the air, you swing under it.

The fact is you CAN do all this in The Show, and it really works like it would on the field. This is the beauty of the game. The mental part and how it ties in so well with the execution is what brings me back to The Show every year since 2008. All the other stuff is not necessary, once you learn the game of baseball.

With that being said, those features in The Show help to create a nice learning curve aid for many players. I have always felt The Show scales for all ages and abilities so well, if you learn and use the Options available. From Little Leaguers to Pros, this game can work for all!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #110
Rookie

Also, Analog Pitching is the way to go.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #111
Rookie

Keep in mind Zone hitting is dynamic and in real time, so you can adjust when pitch is in air.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #112
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
You are correct that you can't use them simultaneously, but that's not the distinction. Zone is putting your cursor where you think the pitch will end up. Directional is aiming your hit in a certain direction.
Ah, I confused zone with "Swing Influence" that seems like the predecessor to Directional...

Swing Influence was activated by R2 and then using the right stick to "aim" fly balls versus grounders / 3rd base side versus 1st base side etc.

Does Swing Influence still exist or has that been replaced by Directional?

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »