Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #97
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdawgs10
Haven't seen many people mention it so I'll put it out there :

Guys remember that batter tendencies play a factor in this as well.

If you try to go opposite field with an 'extreme pull' hitter you won't have as good of results as if you attempt to go opposite field with a 'push' hitter.

To access the spray charts for each hitter press options during your at bat.
Correct! There is some strategy to this because you can also over compensate by influencing to their strong side pulling or pushing balls foul that normally would be fair without the influence.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #98
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Glad to hear that the zone hitting is an option, because honestly this directional hitting sounds a lot like the terrible hitting system from those god awful 2k games. In my opinion, it isn't realistic (or remotely rewarding) to be able to swing without having to locate the ball with some sort of cursor, the size of which should be determined by the ratings of the batter. If you want to pull a ball, you should swing earlier, and preferably wait for a pitch on the inside half of the plate. It's that simple.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #99
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I don't really get how zone is more thumb gymnastics has both zone and this is moving the left stick so really using it is like using zone when it comes to how you control it.
It's simple. Moving the stick is not required in Directional. I played a months worth of RTTS last night an barely used the direction controls at all.

It has been said before and I'll say it again. Directional is not a simplified zone. I don't believe pushing the directional control to the outside of the plate and then swinging at a pitch on the outside increases your chances of making good contact, that is still based on timing of the swing. All it does is try to influence the direction of the hit off the bat.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #100
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Glad to hear that the zone hitting is an option, because honestly this directional hitting sounds a lot like the terrible hitting system from those god awful 2k games. In my opinion, it isn't realistic (or remotely rewarding) to be able to swing without having to locate the ball with some sort of cursor, the size of which should be determined by the ratings of the batter. If you want to pull a ball, you should swing earlier, and preferably wait for a pitch on the inside half of the plate. It's that simple.
I am strictly a zone player and I find the directional hitting mechanic very well done. It allows the user some added input besides timing. It does not sound like you tried it and I am not asking you to but it is very far from being a terrible system. Some people do not have the capacity for zone this is a nice upgrade for them.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #101
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter

I wonder if enough people complained and didn't just accept the situ would/could they patch the Zone+Analog option back in (to me, and maybe I am alone, it was close to perfect in replicating the real world experience without a bat)
Wait, are you sure Zone + Analog isn't in there? My understanding is that you choose your hitting options in 2 stages now. One is directional (timing) or zone. The other is the input option (button or zone). Can't you just choose analog input and zone hitting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #102
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
Wait, are you sure Zone + Analog isn't in there? My understanding is that you choose your hitting options in 2 stages now. One is directional (timing) or zone. The other is the input option (button or zone). Can't you just choose analog input and zone hitting?
You can do that.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #103
Rookie

Am I the only one that thinks Pure Analog is the way to go? I tried directional hitting because I thought it would be more like MVP 05 but either my memory of it isn't correct or games have changed so much that it's no longer as realistic as I thought. I've played baseball for over 25 years now and I feel like the last few years of pure analog was the most realistic way of hitting. Not only did you have to time the pitch and swing at the right time but you had to time your stride. I can't for the life of me figure out why that option was taken out. Combine the stride timing, with swinging inside, outside or middle and you have something realistic and challenging but not overly difficult. I play on legend and have very realistic stats on average. Please bring the real pure analog back!!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #104
Rookie

I was a zone guy, but I've tried the directional hitting with analog input and love it. If you pair it with a tight almost first person camera then it's the closest you'll get to actually feeling like hitting in real life. I won't be going back to zone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »