Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #49
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo
nemesis04, or anyone who knows...hit and run with man on first using directional..is this correct? As the pitch is thrown, I push to the stick right side to induce a right side grounder to the hole and hold the stick through the swing?

OR just push the stick to the right and then let it go before the pitch?

Thanks
If the batter is a righty you would shoot to the right because the second baseman will create the hole breaking to cover second. I would angle the left stick down and to the right and hold for the ground ball. Going just dead right could cause a line drive situation where you could get doubled up.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #50
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Hey, I'm all for people playing however they have the most fun. But you did just have one of the development team say.

"why would he do that it's not zone hitting."

It does seem like you are trying to use it as a simplified Zone hitting, but if that is what works and makes the game fun then I say go for it.
Well I just don't get why they changed it from last year then, since pre-loaded directional influence was already in the game. But whatever, I guess they just accidentally made a great way to hit in this game.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #51
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

I'll also be one to admit I didn't fully grasp Directional hitting as a tool, I think because of the change of angle on the batting camera - it made it seem as though my guy was "looking" for a pitch at a certain spot, rather than trying to influence the ball's direction.

So I've been sorta using it like a simplified PCI, and my results have been mostly good.

Maybe I needed more explanation from the game as to how it was different from timing? I know "Direction" is in the name, but it seems like I'm not the only one who was confused.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #52
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
It's like hitting in MVP... you move the stick as you're hitting. And just because the ball is on the outer half of the plate (as a right handed hitter) and you push the stick to the right, that doesn't mean the ball is absolutely going to go to the right, it all depends on timing too. Same with moving the stick up, down and to the corners.

It feels a lot like I remember hitting in MVP... and that's a good thing.

Actually, having just read the review, it seems like the reviewer is doing it different... hold the stick up (or wherever) before the ball is even thrown. I suppose you can do it like that, if you really need a fly ball or something, but if the pitch is down and away, hold up is going to make getting good contact a lot harder.

I cant remember how MVP was since its been so long, other than that's the 2nd best baseball game ever to MLBTS. Had a lot of fun with that game, and was so upset when they quit making it and I had to deal with that crap MLB2k, never seen a game so bad as those they attemptedto make for baseball.

Didn't think I would like the new hitting for analog when they 1st told us, but after playing only 2 games, I have to say I really enjoy it,an d thinkt they did a great job with it.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #53
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
Well I just don't get why they changed it from last year then, since pre-loaded directional influence was already in the game. But whatever, I guess they just accidentally made a great way to hit in this game.
Actually no, they said the mechanic was actually removed a couple years ago.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #54
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
Actually no, they said the mechanic was actually removed a couple years ago.
It was in the game last year... at least the game manual said it was and the controller vibrated when you did it. If they actually took it out, but left it in the manual saying it was there and still had the controller vibrate, that's pretty shady.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #55
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
why would he do that it's not zone hitting.
That's what I was asking! We're finally on the same page!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLebron12
I completely agree. I only played baseball up to 9th grade and even I understand what the directional hitting is used for.

Runner on first, you want to hit and run so you want to hit it between the 1B and 2B. You are a right handed hitter, before the pitch you would push the left analog to the right to cover the right side of the plate to push the ball that way. If the ball is on the inside of the plate you would either

1) Let the pitch go by and hope your runner steals the base successfully

2) Swing anyway and have a higher risk of a not as good contact swing.

But if the pitch is down the middle or towards the outside of the plate and you time your swing down you should have a higher success rate of hitting it to the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANK YOU! Someone finally gets it lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »