Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #33
Rookie

juegochamp's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
I think the confusion might come from past versions of The Show, where you had to pre-load your directional influence. Honestly, the confusion might go away if they were able to name this way of hitting "EA Sports MVP 2005 Hitting Style"
Yes. That is where my confusion came from. Because it still seemed as if it had to be decided before the pitch since the zone lights up and vibrates. It is similar to MVP 05, But certainly has its differences. In MVP I could still pull a high outside pitch for a HR. Obviously this is more realistic. But I feel like it still can be adjusted. It is still to "do or die" for me based on location. Maybe it is just me?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It is coming to plate with a plan trying to accomplish something. People need to get the zone hitting approach out of their head of trying to move the direction last minute because the pitch is in a different location. For example, a last minute switch from trying to induce a fly and pulling it down just because the ball is low basically takes you out of your desired approach and could cost you by hitting a grounder.
Bingo.

People are confusing this with the PCI.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #35
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It is coming to plate with a plan trying to accomplish something. People need to get the zone hitting approach out of their head of trying to move the direction last minute because the pitch is in a different location. For example, a last minute switch from trying to induce a fly and pulling it down just because the ball is low basically takes you out of your desired approach and could cost you by hitting a grounder.

Agreed. Which is exactly why they put the camera move with it. It's for you to go up and move before the pitch is thrown to have a better eye as to what pitch you're looking for. If it was intended to use as the pitch was on its way the camera move wouldn't of been implemented. They spoke about this in the stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)

Last edited by RLebron12; 04-01-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
But you don't have to hold the stick in a direction before the pitch is thrown... and that is where some confusion was coming into play in this thread. For your very specific situation of a hit and run, yeah you can do that, but if you're not in a situation where you need to make a certain type of contact, you can just move the stick with the pitch as it's delivered, and "hit the ball where it's pitched". 90% or more of at bats are going to be done that way, at least the way I play.
Ah yes that makes sense. I'm liking it so far. I've found zone to be too difficult. This seems like a happy medium to give you some more control in certain situations but not make you have to focus on too much at once with every pitch.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #37
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLebron12
Agreed. Which is exactly why they put the camera move with it. It's for you to go up and move before the pitch is thrown to have a better eye as to what pitch you're looking for. If it was intended to use as the pitch was on its way the camera move wouldn't of been implemented. They spoke about this in the stream

And if it was intended to just be used before the pitch was thrown, being able to select your "influence" location (or whatever we want to call it) after the pitch was throw wouldn't have been implemented. It works either way. If you really need a fly ball to bring the guy in from third, then you can push up before the pitch. But if you're just trying to get a hit, you'll get the best results by moving it after the pitch is thrown and hitting the ball where it's pitched.

Last edited by cactusruss; 04-01-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #38
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

I said in the other thread, and I still believe it, that the directional controls are more of a device to be used situationally and not for every pitch for every batter. Certainly you can do that if you want but I won't.

If I am up to the plate with nobody on and nobody out. I am almost always leaving it centered and timing my swing to get the best contact I can.

Now If I have a runner on third with less than two outs then I will push up to try and get a sac fly. If I have a runner on second and want to move the runner to third I will use the directional control to try and steer the ball to the right side.

I am just not convinced there are major benefits to be had trying to use it for every batter or every pitch. It definitely seems like people want it to be a more forgiving PCI from zone hitting.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #39
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
And if it was intended to just be used before the pitch was thrown, being able to select your "influence" location (or whatever we want to call it) after the pitch was throw wouldn't have been implemented. It works either way. If you really need a fly ball to bring the guy in from third, then you can push up before the pitch. But if you're just trying to get a hit, you'll get the best results by moving it after the pitch is thrown and hitting the ball where it's pitched.

I agree that you definitely can use it after the pitch is thrown (although I don't suggest it) but even Kirby said on the stream that it was intended to use as a situational thing. Come up to the plate with a plan and try to execute it. But to each their own

“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)

Last edited by RLebron12; 04-01-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #40
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
No Ramone, that's obviously not what I meant.

In the article, he mentions trying to time his directioning in accordance to his swing instead of just pressing a direction at any given time during the at-bat.

why would he do that it's not zone hitting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »