Home

Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #81
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
This is about what I figured. I keep asking for examples that show a "philosophy" of removing features that people apparently don't utilize, and you refuse to give them.

I'm only referring to what you've listed. But I know to ignore your posts now because you seem to have some kind of agenda against the game, rather than providing legitimate examples of what you're referring to.

Have a good one
Well Jr. instead of emboldening 2 sentences of my two paragraphs post, why don't you try emboldening the entire two paragraphs and maybe it's possible you missed something.

edit

wow.. Agenda against the game ?

For all the blasphemy I'm accused of hurling, this is the most (probably only) blasphemous thing posted in the entire discussion. My only "agenda toward this game" is for it to become COMPLETE and avoid going backwards.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 03-17-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #82
Rookie

VinceJulien14's Arena

OVR: 0

NHL doesn't even have a preseason anymore lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #83
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I'm aware of a way to solve that problem. Just wait for MLB 15 to come out. It has been addressed and fixed. As I posted last night Woodweaver, a dev for MLB, said that he is aware this issue has been corrected. So just drop this point, it's been addressed for the upcoming game.
I'm aware, they've restored ST substitutions in later innings. Again, as I posted earlier, it would only be a surprise if they did not. I still find it inexcusable that they allowed MLB 14 to come out with that issue in place especially after making us wait until May to play it.

Even with that, it doesn't fix the lacking effort put into Spring Training in the first place if all they did was restore the same system we've had in place since 2006.

Again I just say, the ST is one of those things they are not interested in. And it shows with 1) the lack of improvements made to the mode in nearly a decade) and 2) allowing 2014 to completely sack the mode by not working out something to avoid it's issues.

It speaks to their overall pattern/philosophy (however you want to describe it) that if they feel some element of the game is not big ticket enough they will neglect it or remove it.

They have removed facets of the game away since 2012 and they are only continuing. They've even admitted to doing so, but I'm the one being asked to prove what has been removed from the game. That's an entirely different thread worth of material to express.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 03-17-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #84
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

This is the most unconclusive discussion ever. I feel like I'm waking up to the same question and reply over and over...
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #85
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
do you play spring training, anyone who does has a reason to be miserable at times. but more to my point, this franchise has been making a series of "neglectful" decisions over the last couple of years. My criticism is warranted, not sour grapes, even though I know its daring to critique this franchise because it's easy to get blinded with what things they do provide.
I'm 31 years old, will be 32 in three months. I started playing video games when I was 5. I can honesly say that I have never played a game that was important enough to me to make me miserable. If life was simple enough for a video game to make us miserable, then we would all have pretty easy lives. Video games are supposed to help us escape reality, and have a little fun for a few hours at a time. Here is a little tip from someone older than you. You are 21 years old and in the prime of your life, enjoy yourself, and don't let something as simple as a video game make you miserable. Trust me, you'll look back one day and regret that.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist

Last edited by bronxbombers21325; 03-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #86
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

I usually sim the entire Spring but I set my lineups before the spring starts and I take all of my Major League guys who i know will be on the big team and sit them on the bench. Then I put all of the prospects and young minor leaguers who are on the 40 man and put them all in the lineup. Same with the rotation, my 5 guys are set to the extra relievers so they do not pitch and all of the prospects are set to pitch each game. At the end of the spring, I look through the lineups to see all of my prospects stats and see who got hot and who struggled. This helps decide who gets the opening day call up and who starts at which level.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #87
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de

do you play spring training, anyone who does has a reason to be miserable at times. but more to my point, this franchise has been making a series of "neglectful" decisions over the last couple of years. My criticism is warranted, not sour grapes, even though I know its daring to critique this franchise because it's easy to get blinded with what things they do provide.
Yes I do play Spring Training and no I do not ever feel miserable while playing it. While your criticism is certainly warranted as it is your opinion, to make snarky remarks about them removing something instead of fixing it is simply baiting people to get into a back and forth with you, which I'll respectfully decline to do.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 0

Madden of the mid 2000's on PS2 is the only game where I've ever felt satisfied by the preseason/training camp modes. Training Camp in these games was awesome! Skill drills like rushing attack, catch ball, pocket presence, swat ball, chase and tackle, etc. were the best part of the franchise mode, especially if you're a game simmer like my friends and I.

In addition to the relaxed commentary and other aesthetic changes suggested earlier, I think putting in fun and interesting Spring Training "mini-games" if you will, would spruce this up.

- Want to improve baserunning? Play a game of hotbox/pickle/whatever you'd like to call it on the back fields.
- Want to improve arm accuracy from the outfield? Do the bucket drill (we did it in little league, hit a bucket on home plate, and get rewarded with a $1).
- Improve contact? Play some pepper

The list goes on and on. They don't all have to use the normal game controls, in fact it might be more fun if they differed a little bit for things like a soft toss HR derby or pepper, or a relay throw drill (arm strength?).

Like in Madden, you'd be limited to one drill per player, and one player per drill. So if you used Bryce Harper in a game of pickle, you can't play pickle with anyone else, and you can't use Harper in any other drill.

Combine that with revamped Spring Training game presentation, more stadiums, fixed substitution, and perhaps the variable attributes that hone in the more you play, and you've got an awesome mode that I'll play every time. Mini games sound WAY more fun than assigning training points, and spring is the perfect time to do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »