Home

Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #73
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
And yet you still didnt tell us what they have taken out of the game.
I'm surprised that I even need, that has been well documented over the last two months, even the spokesperson has come here and owned up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
You didn't really answer his questions. People have stated the substitution issues are fixed (BTW, Madden has equally poor substitution issues in Pre-season and provides nothing substantial.. I haven't played FIFA or NHL).

You only mentioned position battles as something that was in and subsequently removed. If that's your only example.. one occurrence does not make a philosophy as you are claiming.

I certainly think Spring Training could be improved upon, but I seriously doubt they will remove it because some (maybe most) people don't play it.
Again I'm surprised that you're asking what it is, I'm referring to as being removed from the game. Spring Training, which is the topic of this discussion, has never had anything in it to actually remove in the first place. I certainly wasn't referring to position battles as the crux of the problem, just an overview of their history with that mode. They did remove the little bit of CPU Intelligence they did possess completely from MLB 14 (ps4) so I was referring to that a little bit. Now we're supposed to be happy that, the same olde system of Spring Training at least has returned.

I haven't played madden since 2010 on a PS2, so all I really know is of their effort to make preseason somewhat relevant moreso than I've ever seen of MLB The Show. Anyhow, I was being mildly sarcastic suggesting they would scrap Spring Training because not enough players in the grand scheme even use it or care aside from some of us here presumably. But that is the same wisdom, they have admittedly used on this forum lately to explain why they have scrapped other facets of the game which are arguably even more important than Spring Training.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #74
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
You didn't really answer his questions. People have stated the substitution issues are fixed (BTW, Madden has equally poor substitution issues in Pre-season and provides nothing substantial.. I haven't played FIFA or NHL).

You only mentioned position battles as something that was in and subsequently removed. If that's your only example.. one occurrence does not make a philosophy as you are claiming.

I certainly think Spring Training could be improved upon, but I seriously doubt they will remove it because some (maybe most) people don't play it.

As I suspected...he blowing smoke and blustering.
His "rule of the day" is BS......*never happened and that is NOT what Ramone said*
...and they did not REMOVE the CPU AI logic for swapping out players more in ST.....I can nearly guarantee that they just didn't "turn on" that logic in the ST and All-Star games and it got through testing. It was an oversight that he's trying to turn into a mountain(for other reasons my guess)

His point about the CPU(the game for that matter) not giving you access to your full organization is his only point that he's really right about but we've discussed that already so it's not earth shattering news.
As far as the CPU using mainly the 25 man roster....
1-You don't have to do that
2- Yes....we've covered that as something we'd like to see...but again...the CPU is going to choose it's top 25 players with set position parameters.....until they implement something that takes those last couple of spots and add in something that makes the CPU choose one or the other....it is kind of pointless right now.(something that YOU can still do as your team GM)

"dreadful" and "inexcusable"...c'mon that's a bit much.

-and not that it matters here....but I play all the games he mentioned....and I don't see what is better about those pre-season games. The decision making on those games is basically the same...pick the top players.

I have to ask.....how the heck does a young man who is 21 y.o. get so miserable over a video game?
Yikes.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #75
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
I'm surprised that I even need, that has been well documented over the last two months, even the spokesperson has come here and owned up to it.

Again I'm surprised that you're asking what it is, I'm referring to as being removed from the game.
Spring Training, which is the topic of this discussion, has never had anything in it to actually remove in the first place. I certainly wasn't referring to position battles as the crux of the problem, just an overview of their history with that mode. They did remove the little bit of CPU Intelligence they did possess completely from MLB 14 (ps4) so I was referring to that a little bit. Now we're supposed to be happy that, the same olde system of Spring Training at least has returned.
So is the CPU substitution AI showing the "philosophy" of removing things that have been in the game?

You can be surprised that people are asking, but you still aren't mentioning what exactly has been removed. I can't remember anything of great significance that has been removed after being in the game, and I've been playing the game consistently since '10.

So please, enlighten those of us who do not know what you are referring to.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #76
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
As I suspected...he blowing smoke and blustering.
His "rule of the day" is BS......*never happened and that is NOT what Ramone said*
...and they did not REMOVE the CPU AI logic for swapping out players more in ST.....I can nearly guarantee that they just didn't "turn on" that logic in the ST and All-Star games and it got through testing. It was an oversight that he's trying to turn into a mountain(for other reasons my guess)

His point about the CPU(the game for that matter) not giving you access to your full organization is his only point that he's really right about but we've discussed that already so it's not earth shattering news.
As far as the CPU using mainly the 25 man roster....
1-You don't have to do that
2- Yes....we've covered that as something we'd like to see...but again...the CPU is going to choose it's top 25 players with set position parameters.....until they implement something that takes those last couple of spots and add in something that makes the CPU choose one or the other....it is kind of pointless right now.(something that YOU can still do as your team GM)

"dreadful" and "inexcusable"...c'mon that's a bit much.

-and not that it matters here....but I play all the games he mentioned....and I don't see what is better about those pre-season games. The decision making on those games is basically the same...pick the top players.

I have to ask.....how the heck does a young man who is 21 y.o. get so miserable over a video game?
Yikes.

M.K.
Knight165
I know I can manage my own team however I want during Spring Training, but in the 9th inning of a 7-2 ballgame I'm losing, I decide to put my A ball pitcher on the mound only to still be forced to face Andrew Mccutcheon and the rest of a Pirates lineup. That just shows how much the AI of opposing management stands in the way of playing this mode. Unless you know of a way to solve that problem, that I'm just not aware of.

IMO, the only thing being blown out of proportion here is the quoting and context of what I've said. I'm not blowing smoke and raging,

Quote:
Well I'm certainly not just making this up, I'm only echoing what I've seen written and posted on this forum alone by game officials.
I do find ST dreadful certainly on the only PS4 version of the game out right now, MLB 14, where they have inexcusably neglected the mode for whatever reason. I'm sure they did have a legitimate reason, and it's no surprise they have fixed in for 2015. It would only be a surprise if they had not. However, this just does highlight the overall neglect for ST that has reached nearly 10 years now with no one held responsible for it.

Preseason in other games, don't have nearly the same problem I see with Spring Training here because they all are built to basically evaluate alternative players and strategies with every team. The philosophy here has been well documented that they only view this mode as a way for players to get some practice games in so they can learn controls get in a groove and start playing real games. I'm tired of that approach, but there is no sign they are willing to change it. Based on the pattern I've observed, Spring Training is one of the last things at the bottom of their list to really pay attention to.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 03-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #77
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
So is the CPU substitution AI showing the "philosophy" of removing things that have been in the game?

You can be surprised that people are asking, but you still aren't mentioning what exactly has been removed. I can't remember anything of great significance that has been removed after being in the game, and I've been playing the game consistently since '10.

So please, enlighten those of us who do not know what you are referring to.
to make this short, I'll just answer you with a no and a facepalm.

give me more credit than to be this shallow, that I'd link one spring training oversight from 2014' with such a claim.

I hope I don't have to legitimize anymore suggestions like this with another response.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I know I can manage my own team however I want during Spring Training, but in the 9th inning of a 7-2 ballgame I'm losing, I decide to put my A ball pitcher on the mound only to still be forced to face Andrew Mccutcheon and the rest of a Pirates lineup. That just shows how much the AI of opposing management stands in the way of playing this mode. Unless you know of a way to solve that problem, that I'm just not aware of.
I'm aware of a way to solve that problem. Just wait for MLB 15 to come out. It has been addressed and fixed. As I posted last night Woodweaver, a dev for MLB, said that he is aware this issue has been corrected. So just drop this point, it's been addressed for the upcoming game.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #79
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
to make this short, I'll just answer you with a no and a facepalm.

give me more credit than to be this shallow, that I'd link one spring training oversight from 2014' with such a claim.

I hope I don't have to legitimize anymore suggestions like this with another response.
This is about what I figured. I keep asking for examples that show a "philosophy" of removing features that people apparently don't utilize, and you refuse to give them.

I'm only referring to what you've listed. But I know to ignore your posts now because you seem to have some kind of agenda against the game, rather than providing legitimate examples of what you're referring to.

Have a good one

Watch me play video games
Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
This is about what I figured. I keep asking for examples that show a "philosophy" of removing features that people apparently don't utilize, and you refuse to give them.

I'm only referring to what you've listed. But I know to ignore your posts now because you seem to have some kind of agenda against the game, rather than providing legitimate examples of what you're referring to.

Have a good one
The only one I can think of is analog hitting from last year, but that wasn't even removed completely but changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »