Home

Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

I think the real key to Spring Training is for SCEA to continue to fine tune the Quick Counts feature. There's no better match than quick counts and spring training games.

I feel like most people skip spring training not because it's not interesting enough, but because 162 is a lot of damn games to play, and there's a sort of pressure to ignore anything and everything else and just focus on getting through that 162.

I bet that if the MLB season were only 50 games long, this thread would be full of people talking about how important Spring Training is.

The 2nd biggest reason to skip ST is what Knight has already covered... I don't skip ST because it isn't fun, I skip ST because I can.

- Because I can get away with not having a starting shortstop or consistent lineup in June, and my players (and fans) don't seem to mind at all.
- Because players in The Show don't deviate from their potential as much as real life players do (in games I actually play), so I don't really need to "evaluate" my guys.
- Because even if there IS a deviation in ability, there seems to be very little correlation between past deviation and future performance, especially over multiple seasons (ie players always come into spring training on a clean slate).
- Because "hidden," long-term, or intermittent injuries do not exist, and players always return from injuries at 100%.
- Because player ratings are visible, detailed, and readily accessible.
- Because Spring Training doesn't have the real life benefits of allowing me to try non-roster players.
- Because my players and fans don't at all care that I have no clue what I'm doing as a day-to-day manager, and so I have no reason to practice.
- Because players don't need to get comfortable or even "into shape" or anything. I can sign a guy today and he's ready to play today.

etc...

"Fun" isn't the issue here. I think SCEA's focus should be on making Spring Training more relevant and impactful. If you give us tangible things that add value and purpose to Spring Training games, I guarantee we will play them.

Last edited by Bobhead; 03-15-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #50
dare i say...en fuego?

BravesBoy's Arena

OVR: 14

^^^ Very well said
Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #51
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

OVR: 0

I believe spring training gets ignored as much as it does in the game is because while we're all talking about it now, come July, August, September, when it's time to start typing wish lists no one's thinking about spring training anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I think the real key to Spring Training is for SCEA to continue to fine tune the Quick Counts feature. There's no better match than quick counts and spring training games.

I feel like most people skip spring training not because it's not interesting enough, but because 162 is a lot of damn games to play, and there's a sort of pressure to ignore anything and everything else and just focus on getting through that 162.

I bet that if the MLB season were only 50 games long, this thread would be full of people talking about how important Spring Training is.

The 2nd biggest reason to skip ST is what Knight has already covered... I don't skip ST because it isn't fun, I skip ST because I can.

- Because I can get away with not having a starting shortstop or consistent lineup in June, and my players (and fans) don't seem to mind at all.
- Because players in The Show don't deviate from their potential as much as real life players do (in games I actually play), so I don't really need to "evaluate" my guys.
- Because even if there IS a deviation in ability, there seems to be very little correlation between past deviation and future performance, especially over multiple seasons (ie players always come into spring training on a clean slate).
- Because "hidden," long-term, or intermittent injuries do not exist, and players always return from injuries at 100%.
- Because player ratings are visible, detailed, and readily accessible.
- Because Spring Training doesn't have the real life benefits of allowing me to try non-roster players.
- Because my players and fans don't at all care that I have no clue what I'm doing as a day-to-day manager, and so I have no reason to practice.
- Because players don't need to get comfortable or even "into shape" or anything. I can sign a guy today and he's ready to play today.

etc...

"Fun" isn't the issue here. I think SCEA's focus should be on making Spring Training more relevant and impactful. If you give us tangible things that add value and purpose to Spring Training games, I guarantee we will play them.
I agree with you 100%! I do like sports games that are great simulations,but sometimes they can get overwhelming,I don't spend enough time doing the franchise stuff,just I get to into the actual games I do the same thing with NBA 2k games to.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #53
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
BP Jerseys are what most teams wear in Spring Training. There are a few exceptions like the Tigers, they wear the Normal White and Grey, and the White Sox, they wear their Black Alternate. A few teams prefer to wear the normal home whites for their home ST games.
There are a few teams that wear their white and grays randomly, and then the BP jerseys the rest of the time. The Yankees will wear their white uniforms a couple times during the spring. I don't remember them ever wearing the road grays though.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #54
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

I gotta say, this series is pretty damn good if we're talking about how to revamp Spring Training...
Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #55
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

Simply one thing... MORE SPRING TRAINING PARKS..

two per league or state if you will doesn't cut it. they have the rights to players teams, why not the minor league stadiums associated with each team??

we need them all to be there...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #56
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Simply one thing... MORE SPRING TRAINING PARKS..

two per league or state if you will doesn't cut it. they have the rights to players teams, why not the minor league stadiums associated with each team??

we need them all to be there...
because it costs money to license the individual ballparks.

The teams don't own the ballparks.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »