Home

Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #41
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

OVR: 0
First, forget NRI's, for spring training instead of just letting us use the 40-man roster, make it to where we can use the entire 90 player organization roster if we so choose. Watch any spring game and a player will pop up who's not on the 40 man and not on the list of NRI's. Roster rules are pretty much relaxed in the spring games so The Show should reflect that, it gives us a chance to get used to using some of our prospects. I also think this may be easier for the devs to accomplish rather than having a set number of NRI's per team.

Second, as far as the try-outs thing goes. Here's a solution I came up with. Instead of being able to see the ratings continually change in the game instead keep that under the hood from opening day until the end of the offseason. Once you hit spring training for the next year, each day the updated ratings gradually start to update until the end of spring training when you get to see each player's fully updated ratings for the new season. In other words, all VISIBLE progression takes place during spring training only (even though it's continually happening under the hood).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #42
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Implementing a Better Spring Training in MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
First, forget NRI's, for spring training instead of just letting us use the 40-man roster, make it to where we can use the entire 90 player organization roster if we so choose. Watch any spring game and a player will pop up who's not on the 40 man and not on the list of NRI's. Roster rules are pretty much relaxed in the spring games so The Show should reflect that, it gives us a chance to get used to using some of our prospects. I also think this may be easier for the devs to accomplish rather than having a set number of NRI's per team.

Second, as far as the try-outs thing goes. Here's a solution I came up with. Instead of being able to see the ratings continually change in the game instead keep that under the hood from opening day until the end of the offseason. Once you hit spring training for the next year, each day the updated ratings gradually start to update until the end of spring training when you get to see each player's fully updated ratings for the new season. In other words, all VISIBLE progression takes place during spring training only (even though it's continually happening under the hood).
The problem is that to be part of the PA the players have to play one mlb game. Unless that rule gets changed we are stuck with a bunch of fake players.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #43
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
The problem is that to be part of the PA the players have to play one mlb game. Unless that rule gets changed we are stuck with a bunch of fake players.
I'm fine with that as long as we have the great people here still putting out OSFM. If you don't wait for OSFM then you're gonna be stuck with fake players eventually anyway.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #44
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yeah, I was glad to hear the team talk about more frequent subbing. I think, if that works as promised, is a really neat feature that probably isn't that easy to re-implement. So kudos to SCEA.

I bet next year is the year we see some of this stuff. It's likely that most developers will have moved on from the past-gen consoles, so true optimization can really begin. Wasn't it around '09 when the game really started to hit its stride on the PS3?

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

Last edited by BenGerman; 03-14-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #45
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

One other thing that would really add to spring training is to get the real spring stadiums. I know the minor league stadiums are asking too much but it seems like the spring stadiums wouldn't be too difficult to license. Plus, the fake ones in the game are pretty generic and look like spring training stadiums from decades ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #46
Banned

I totally agree 100% with everything! Actually pre season isn't that good in most sports games out there! NBA 2k and Madden are pretty good,but not eye catching! I think something also would be nice for spring training yet a pretty minor one,but have all the teams in spring training wear there BP jerseys during spring training,is there any teams that have a jersey specifically for spring training? I know my team the Phillies just wore there regular baiting practice jerseys in spring training,there jerseys look different this spring training,or I don't know if there jerseys are there new BP jerseys. I know this is minor,but it would be cool,if not,no biggie! It's not a deal breaker. It would be nice having some real spring training sites! I'm sure it would be hard for them to do that,and I know this isn't probably on the subject at hand,but can they plz put single A teams in the game,it would be nice to play games with them,but it would be nice just put in the game. I know they have before,not playable teams,but i know why they took the single A level out.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 AM   #47
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
I totally agree 100% with everything! Actually pre season isn't that good in most sports games out there! NBA 2k and Madden are pretty good,but not eye catching! I think something also would be nice for spring training yet a pretty minor one,but have all the teams in spring training wear there BP jerseys during spring training,is there any teams that have a jersey specifically for spring training? I know my team the Phillies just wore there regular baiting practice jerseys in spring training,there jerseys look different this spring training,or I don't know if there jerseys are there new BP jerseys. I know this is minor,but it would be cool,if not,no biggie! It's not a deal breaker. It would be nice having some real spring training sites! I'm sure it would be hard for them to do that,and I know this isn't probably on the subject at hand,but can they plz put single A teams in the game,it would be nice to play games with them,but it would be nice just put in the game. I know they have before,not playable teams,but i know why they took the single A level out.

BP Jerseys are what most teams wear in Spring Training. There are a few exceptions like the Tigers, they wear the Normal White and Grey, and the White Sox, they wear their Black Alternate. A few teams prefer to wear the normal home whites for their home ST games.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
BP Jerseys are what most teams wear in Spring Training. There are a few exceptions like the Tigers, they wear the Normal White and Grey, and the White Sox, they wear their Black Alternate. A few teams prefer to wear the normal home whites for their home ST games.
Oh ok, I think the Phillies changed there BP jerseys for this season. Rarely do the Phillies wear there home white jerseys during spring training and even more rare for them to wear the road grey jerseys as well. But I have to say I wish they would go back to there unis and team logo. The big P on there jersey,the don't have to necessarily bring back there powder blue unis,all though it would be nice. Those uniforms are the uniforms they wore most of my childhood. The have a certain nostalgic look about them!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »