Home

MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Developer Tournament Featuring Gameplay All Day

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Developer Tournament Featuring Gameplay All Day within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #145
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Developer Tournament Featuring Gameplay All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I recently played some MLB on my PS3. If you think the stadiums resolutions have not been improved then I don't even know what to say.

Just like so many people that second guess managers and coaches all the time and think they know better, so do gamers have the tendency to believe they know how to best improve their favorite game (not limited to The Show).

It's nice to do all this second guessing without needing to take into account the constraints of deadlines, staffing, budgets, technical hurdles, etc.

Nice, but not realistic.

I meant to say now higher resolution, but it typed as not higher resolution.funny you jumped on that one sentence and it was an error. I've purchased this game the last 5 years, will be 6 this year. I think lack of competition made this game rest on its laurels. We can argue all day about what should or shouldn't be upgraded from year to year. I'm saying in my opinion,I look at this game from 2 years ago on ps3, to now, year 2 on ps4, and we get a kind of crappy radio show, improved skin tones and grass color.

The game is stale! I know it's a cult classic on OS but at some point they are going to need to make more significant upgrades to areas of the game that matter.
They've had the same post game animations for like 4 years now, same commentary. Gameplay is phenomenal, but at some point it gets boring having he same experience playing the game 4 years in a row.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #146
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Developer Tournament Featuring Gameplay All Day

They've added new animations this year (saw them in the streams) and new commentary (although we haven't heard it yet)

I hear/read people saying that the game is stale due to the same animations, but I don't understand. I mean its baseball after all, and some of the same animations have to stay, because they are a fundamental of baseball. I mean, I don't wanna see my SS going deep in the hole trying to field a grounder with his legs and throwing the ball with his feet!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #147
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Developer Tournament Featuring Gameplay All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster
I meant to say now higher resolution, but it typed as not higher resolution.funny you jumped on that one sentence and it was an error. I've purchased this game the last 5 years, will be 6 this year. I think lack of competition made this game rest on its laurels. We can argue all day about what should or shouldn't be upgraded from year to year. I'm saying in my opinion,I look at this game from 2 years ago on ps3, to now, year 2 on ps4, and we get a kind of crappy radio show, improved skin tones and grass color.

The game is stale! I know it's a cult classic on OS but at some point they are going to need to make more significant upgrades to areas of the game that matter.

They've had the same post game animations for like 4 years now, same commentary. Gameplay is phenomenal, but at some point it gets boring having he same experience playing the game 4 years in a row.

Thank you for the input. Please add any ideas you may have to push the limit in next years wish list thread. In the meantime, enjoy this year's game. Here are a couple of more things to check out in this year's offering:

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?t=27897

Last edited by Woodweaver; 03-14-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #148
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I meant to say now higher resolution, but it typed as not higher resolution.funny you jumped on that one sentence and it was an error.
Well, the difference between "not" and "now" in that sentence is huge and it made that sentence jump out at me more than any other.

Personally, I respect what they get done every year in such a short development cycle.

Sure the end of game cut scenes are old but if fixing those types of cut scenes comes at the cost of being able to add the extra third out animations (which we see more) or the dugout homerun celebrations (which I don't know if we have seen yet) then I am fine with them sticking with the game ending cut scene. IF we are honest with ourselves most of us just skip that cutscene at the end of the game anyway.

A game like this evolves. A yearly release schedule just does not give the developers time to make massive changes every release. They have limited time and limited resources so they prioritize what they use those resources on.

This year we have:
  • Revamped Diamond Dynasty
  • The Radio Show
  • Better Lighting
  • New third out animations
  • Improved ball physics to help doubles and triples
  • Licensed Equipment
  • Better fitting Catcher's gear
  • Background buildings with lights during nightime games
  • Improved commentary (giving a recap of how your team has been performing recently)
  • Challenges

And those are just a chosen few off the top of my head.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #149
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:

What kind of experience are you hoping for? Would you like zombies or something?

And as for the upgrades in the last 2 years, you left out franchise mode changes, 2 ball physics changes, complete overhaul of Diamond Dynasty (and the mode itself is new), revamped lighting, new animations, new throwing controls, new hitting controls, new pitching controls, a new commentator, new pitch physics, an entirely new menu/interface system, the addition of a push/pull system, and several online changes, including home run derby being online-compatible.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion!

You can say the game is unsatisfactory all you want. There are some things I still find unsatisfactory with The Show. But to say they haven't tried? That is downright absurd.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #150
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I don't know, I'll try and say this as constructively as possible, but it seems like this dev team, or whomever, chooses to play it safe rather than push limits.

The grass thing as an example. They seem to be using the same grass they used in the PS3 version. It doesn't look right, it doesn't scream ps4, pushing the limits. I hear them talk about they spent all this time working on the grass color. They have this new tech and yada yada, and it seems sort of misguided. Kind of the polishing a turd syndrome. Why spend so much time making somethung look better that doesn't look right to begin with.

The stadium graphics they use are sub par. They are creating the stadiums seemingly using the same images they used on PS3 but not they are higher resolution. They showed off the ballparks, and really it doesn't scream ps4 pushing the limits, it sort of strikes me as, well you added these things to stadiums using the same stuff you used on the rest of the stadiums.

They added spring training stadiums that were the ones from the PS3 version but "they look better" on the ps4.
Commentary is the same, graphical overlays are minimalist in nature and don't scream pushing the limits.

Hey can't add uniforms because of the uniform slot system. Ok. I get the point, but the second year on the ps4 I still don't want to be buying an upgraded version of the PS3 game.

Gameplay is great, I'm certain I will find enjoyment out of them game, but at what point is it ok to ask for a little more out of the game, it seems like a lot of corners are cut, and I don't want to be sold on "players skin tones and grass colors" when there are so many other areas that deserve more attention.
Pushing the limits isn't always a good thing. The Show is already one of if not the best sports franchises of all time. It takes a lot of hard work to make something great, and only one misstep to ruin it completely. Remeber when Coca-Cola decided they were going to push the limits and change their formula they had used for years and years in the 80's. How did pushing the limits work out for them? If they want to play it safe, I'm fine with that.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist

Last edited by bronxbombers21325; 03-14-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #151
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut99
As soon as he said staduims I stopped reading. Actually I stopped reading sooner.

Remember this is only the second season on the PS4.
Plus they haven't had a full dev cycle yet since they released MLB 14 in May last year for the PS4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #152
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
I don't know, I'll try and say this as constructively as possible, but it seems like this dev team, or whomever, chooses to play it safe rather than push limits.

The grass thing as an example. They seem to be using the same grass they used in the PS3 version. It doesn't look right, it doesn't scream ps4, pushing the limits. I hear them talk about they spent all this time working on the grass color. They have this new tech and yada yada, and it seems sort of misguided. Kind of the polishing a turd syndrome. Why spend so much time making somethung look better that doesn't look right to begin with.

The stadium graphics they use are sub par. They are creating the stadiums seemingly using the same images they used on PS3 but not they are higher resolution. They showed off the ballparks, and really it doesn't scream ps4 pushing the limits, it sort of strikes me as, well you added these things to stadiums using the same stuff you used on the rest of the stadiums.

They added spring training stadiums that were the ones from the PS3 version but "they look better" on the ps4.
Commentary is the same, graphical overlays are minimalist in nature and don't scream pushing the limits.

Hey can't add uniforms because of the uniform slot system. Ok. I get the point, but the second year on the ps4 I still don't want to be buying an upgraded version of the PS3 game.

Gameplay is great, I'm certain I will find enjoyment out of them game, but at what point is it ok to ask for a little more out of the game, it seems like a lot of corners are cut, and I don't want to be sold on "players skin tones and grass colors" when there are so many other areas that deserve more attention.
They scanned the grass and the dirt from each stadium and put it in the game for each stadium. Its not the same grass as the ps3 version, its each stadium has the real grass and dirt from the actual stadium in real life.

They also updated the background on a lot of the stadiums as well. What game are you watching?

they also updated the minor league stadiums as well, they even have a few more than they did last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »