Home

MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players at Each Position

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players at Each Position within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #57
Persona Non Grata

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
So what you're saying is Mike trout should be the #1 pick in a fantasy draft... I mean, Im not disagreeing, just interesting...
The Show wouldn't even be the first to suggest Trout #1 in a fantasy draft,
so I'm not disagreeing, I just don't even find interesting
#44Syracuse
Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #58
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlaw13
I believe on one of the latest streams, the devs were about to start a game with the Giants, and somebody mentioned MadBum's overall rating and implied it was lower than expected. Then Russell mentioned that even though his ovr wasnt as high as some of the top pitchers, his clutch rating was pretty high due in part to his postseason performance.

Im sure there is more tied into that rating than just postseason performance and yeah maybe one of the devs could comment on that in one of the future streams.

I always thought Clutch for a pitcher was how well he would pitch out of jams, with RISP. Just like clutch for a hitter, is how well he will hit with RISP, and in late innings.

I don't think clutch means how well you perform in the Postseason only. Obviously if your clutch is high, you are probably more likely to perform better in the Postseason as well as regular season. Even though we have seen guys be just average in the regular season, yet seem to step it up a notch in the Postseason, be awful hard for the devs I imagine just to give a rating only for the Postseason, and it not have nothing to do with the regular season. Considering in the past what clutch ratings have been for guys, Im pretty sure its not directly just for the Postseason, cause I have seen guys with high clutch ratings, that haven't ever did anything in the Postseason, if that's the case, then Kershaw's clutch wouldn't be very high at all,lol.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #59
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybaybay618
I love it. I think it accurately depicts the premium on talent in the MLB and how hard it is to be a perennial MVP candidate. I'm glad King Felix finally got his due.

I agree, I like the new rating system, I wouldn't have been upset if there wasn't any 99's to be honest.

Overalls will always be a hit topic and debated no matter what because its all opinion based, along with some being bias. Just the nature of it.

Now I haven combed over the ratings that they showed us, but what I saw and remember I thought they were pretty solid. Really hard to know much about players until the game gets out and you can look thru all the ratings of a player, to see how they went about getting that overall. That's the most important, not so much the overall of a player.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM   #60
Pro

Quote:
I love it. I think it accurately depicts the premium on talent in the MLB and how hard it is to be a perennial MVP candidate. I'm glad King Felix finally got his due.
yup. it seems like every year its tougher and tougher to b rated 90+...It looks like the potentials are following along with it. Now hopefully custom rosters dont blow it. The prospects who will start being built in 3 weeks hopefully wont be on steroids and hopefully we wont c half the prospects up by June of 2015 haha. The mixture of potential and performance progression should make it easier for most ppl to grade the kids a lot tougher.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 AM   #61
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
I still feel that only one pitcher and one hitter should be rated 99, and that being the top. Everyone else's OVR should be scaled to fall within the 1-98 range with only those matching the two 99's ratings being then given a 99 if progression dictates.

Top fWAR Pitchers 2012-14
Clayton Kershaw 19.2 fWAR (21.6 bWAR)
Felix Hernandez 17.9 fWAR (16.7 bWAR)

Top fWAR Hitters 2012-14
Mike Trout 28.4 fWAR (27.5 bWAR)
Andrew McCutchen 21.8 fWAR (21.4 bWAR)

I know WAR does not translate to OVR, but I think the gaps between the #1 and #2 players do justify the notion that only one player of each type deserves a 99.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2015, 02:51 AM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I still feel that only one pitcher and one hitter should be rated 99, and that being the top. Everyone else's OVR should be scaled to fall within the 1-98 range with only those matching the two 99's ratings being then given a 99 if progression dictates.

Top fWAR Pitchers 2012-14
Clayton Kershaw 19.2 fWAR (21.6 bWAR)
Felix Hernandez 17.9 fWAR (16.7 bWAR)

Top fWAR Hitters 2012-14
Mike Trout 28.4 fWAR (27.5 bWAR)
Andrew McCutchen 21.8 fWAR (21.4 bWAR)

I know WAR does not translate to OVR, but I think the gaps between the #1 and #2 players do justify the notion that only one player of each type deserves a 99.
Remember, it's not just a "hitter"....defense is much more involved in a position player....dont wanna sound nit picky but ppl seem to leave out the defense factor when grading....and WAR is absolute trash. I get what you are saying and this has nothing to do with u....I just hate how they try to equate WAR to everything. I can't stand listening to sabermatricians talk and try to make everyone seem like a zombie when there's much more to it then just equations.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #63
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedEvil
Remember, it's not just a "hitter"....defense is much more involved in a position player....dont wanna sound nit picky but ppl seem to leave out the defense factor when grading....and WAR is absolute trash. I get what you are saying and this has nothing to do with u....I just hate how they try to equate WAR to everything. I can't stand listening to sabermatricians talk and try to make everyone seem like a zombie when there's much more to it then just equations.
The reason people use WAR is that it takes defense into account and doesn't just value a player based on his offensive numbers. I used hitter simply because a position player hits while pitchers don't really hit. You can argue about semantics, but it was clear what I meant.

Look at the list of players in order by fWAR first before making assumptions.

Why did Jose Altuve, the best offensive 2B last year, have a lower fWAR than Ian Kinsler? Or why do Michael Brantley and Alex Gordon have the same fWAR?

Last edited by MrOldboy; 03-10-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 AM   #64
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The reason people use WAR is that it takes defense into account and doesn't just value a player based on his offensive numbers. I used hitter simply because a position player hits while pitchers don't really hit. You can argue about semantics, but it was clear what I meant.

Look at the list of players in order by fWAR first before making assumptions.

Why did Jose Altuve, the best offensive 2B last year, have a lower fWAR than Ian Kinsler? Or why do Michael Brantley and Alex Gordon have the same fWAR?
never made an assumption and said i get what ur saying soooo

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »