Home

MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #217
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer

Ive faced Livingston in 12. He is actually really good.

Youtube
Old 03-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #218
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
I agree it looks like they did improve in this area and looking forward to seeing how the sliders play out in 15.
Really excited to see the slider tweaking results of PsychoBulk (many years of contributing to the slider discussion), TNKNGM and other OS forum members.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #219
Pro

ajblithe20's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
In a simulation are we not to expect a simulation of human error?

Don't we expect fielders to make errors? A computer wouldn't unless it was programmed to do so, but the game is trying to simulate a human being playing baseball. The game is programmed to simulate that human error, the accuracy of that simulation is up for debate of course, but the attempt is clear.

Similarly, the game is trying to simulate a human being umpiring a baseball game. It's a baby step, but it is in the right direction. Baseball is played and judged by humans. I want the human element to be included into the game including catcher framing, more missed calls on balls/strikes and even extending the strike zone further for some umpires. I'd go as far as to say I'd even want the "broadcast" simulation to be more humanistic (i.e. delays on camera cuts).
I do like the presentation aspect of the challenge system. But it doesn't bother me that the CPU can't challenge calls. Since there's a challenge system in real life, pretty much all calls (except balls and strikes) will end up being correct. IIRC, there's a variable balls and strikes option in The Show, which is realistic and I'll use. But since all other calls are now correct in the real MLB, there's no reason for Umps to blow calls in The Show except for the presentation of a challenge.

It's not the same as a fielder committing an error. Fielders commit errors all the time and it affects the game. When an Ump makes an incorrect call, it's now challenged and corrected. The only difference between The Show (if you don't have blown calls on) and the MLB in this situation is that it takes a minute or so in MLB to get the call right, when The Show can do it instantly.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #220
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
I do like the presentation aspect of the challenge system. But it doesn't bother me that the CPU can't challenge calls. Since there's a challenge system in real life, pretty much all calls (except balls and strikes) will end up being correct. IIRC, there's a variable balls and strikes option in The Show, which is realistic and I'll use. But since all other calls are now correct in the real MLB, there's no reason for Umps to blow calls in The Show except for the presentation of a challenge.

It's not the same as a fielder committing an error. Fielders commit errors all the time and it affects the game. When an Ump makes an incorrect call, it's now challenged and corrected. The only difference between The Show (if you don't have blown calls on) and the MLB in this situation is that it takes a minute or so in MLB to get the call right, when The Show can do it instantly.
It is purely presentational unless you don't pay attention to the replay. That is fine with me. I only want it to be simulated in game, it doesn't have to affect gameplay. Umpires blow calls in real life, I want to see that in game. But I also want to see it get corrected as they do in real life. I also want to see correct plays challenged as they do in real life. But in the end this can all be purely aesthetic.

Simulation isn't just gameplay, it is every element in the game, which is why errors fall into the "human" category for me. Along with everything from player personalities to fielder reaction time to a batter's stance. I want the humans in game to be simulated as best they can within the limitations of the game.

Anyways, the point is I agree, the challenge system in game is basically presentational, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be simulated as best it can. Umps should blow calls as the do in real life and then be challenged by both teams and corrected or validated in some way even just visually. Give people the option to turn it off in presentations or have it off when using fast play, but it's a big part of the MLB now.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 03-05-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #221
Rookie

Is the stream at 8 tonight?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #222
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluclws22
I believe it was moved to next Tuesday.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #223
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
I believe it was moved to next Tuesday.

The stadium stream was moved to Tuesday but as far as we know there will still be a stream today.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #224
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluclws22
There is a stream at 8pm eastern tonight but it won't be the stadium stream. That one has been moved to Tuesday.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »