Home

MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #209
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Live Gameplay with Senior A.I. Programmer

I didn't go as far as to say the challenge system is "broken," more so just poorly implemented. When something is broken, by definition it is not functioning as it was intended. This clearly is not the case as it seems to be functioning as intended, the problem is the implementation is poor to say the least. If the challenge system was going to be implemented in such a poor fashion, they honestly should've left it out this year and tried again when they had ample time to implement it realistically.
Or, as another user said earlier, just not implement it at all being that the challenge system in real life is to get calls right, which isn't an issue in video games.

Last edited by Padgoi; 03-06-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #210
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Yankees
Wow, ok, so the challenge system is not broken because one side can challenge? That doesn't compute in my brain, i understand that the implementation is wrong, did i miss a new rule in MLB that says you can only challenge at first base?

I would say its baby steps on why its only for 1st base this year, if SCEA could in the first year they would have it for all bases, but I'm sure that would take a lot of programming and animation caps that they didn't have time for. so for right now its just first base. Should they just left it out for this year until they had it for every base? that's up for debate. but just for them to include it in some form would please many here.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #211
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Why wouldn't the CPU have been affected by having close plays on in 14?
The description does not say it affects the CPU. If it did have that type logic existing then I would think the challenge system would have been added for the CPU too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #212
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Excellent post. And very logical. Human error needs replay to make sure it's correct. Finite computer rules shouldn't need it.
In a simulation are we not to expect a simulation of human error?

Don't we expect fielders to make errors? A computer wouldn't unless it was programmed to do so, but the game is trying to simulate a human being playing baseball. The game is programmed to simulate that human error, the accuracy of that simulation is up for debate of course, but the attempt is clear.

Similarly, the game is trying to simulate a human being umpiring a baseball game. It's a baby step, but it is in the right direction. Baseball is played and judged by humans. I want the human element to be included into the game including catcher framing, more missed calls on balls/strikes and even extending the strike zone further for some umpires. I'd go as far as to say I'd even want the "broadcast" simulation to be more humanistic (i.e. delays on camera cuts).

Last edited by MrOldboy; 03-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #213
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

The idea of the computer challenging a call is interesting but if we are honest with ourselves we would realize that it would be a completely non-interactive cut scene that 90% + of the players will simply button mash past once we have seen it a few times.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #214
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
"OS elites attack." LOL, okay...
Sounds like a 1960s SiFi/horror movie. Anyway. I don't even plan on using challenges, and will turn them off if it lets me. Mainly I just utterly despise the fact that baseball has a challenge system now. But again I'm a baseball purist.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #215
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
Sounds like a 1960s SiFi/horror movie. Anyway. I don't even plan on using challenges, and will turn them off if it lets me. Mainly I just utterly despise the fact that baseball has a challenge system now. But again I'm a baseball purist.
If you turn close plays off it will turn off the challenge system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #216
Banned

Go Yankees's Arena

I stand corrected, the challenge system is not "broken" like my past posts have said, having said that, there are serious issues with the challenge system, ok so alot of people on OS have been having a discussion about whether the lighting in the outfield is correct or whether the stripe on a jersey is to thin or thick, i argue fix the fundamentals of the game, fix the challenge system since that is (whether people like it or not) a huuge part of the game now, i will turn this off this year but hope it is fully implemented on the show 16' there is a reason they added a quick option for shifting fielders, because its a huge part of the game now, just my opinion, thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »