Home

MLB 15 The Show: Franchise Mode Stream Full Recap/Notes

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Franchise Mode Stream Full Recap/Notes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #145
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Franchise Mode Stream Full Recap/Notes

And to think, I've been rooting for the Auburn Hills Pistons & Pontiac Lions all this time!

Anyway, no more derailing from me either...

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #146
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
So by that logic, every team that's built a new stadium is a relocation. Or the Angels changing their name 20 times lol.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing... interestingly, as far as relocations go, Montreal is the only city that has lost a franchise, and not got another later.

Isn't this just baseball terminology semantics?

People that want create-a-stadium want to be able to create a stadium, regardless of where the team moves to and what the team's intention is.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #147
Persona Non Grata

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains

People that want create-a-stadium want to be able to create a stadium, regardless of where the team moves to and what the team's intention is.
I'm thinking create-a-stadium & reloctaion are two very separate ideas.
MLB has (or should not have) any issue with SCEA adding CAS.
MLB is not going to let relocation in the Show anytime soon.
I can already technically relocate the Braves back to Boston or Milwaukee by choosing to play games in Fenway or Miller Park. I just can't change the name back to Boston Braves, which is what I really want.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #148
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Sorry for dragging this out, this will be last post on it..

No changing venues and building a stadium is what the Mets and Yankees did. The new stadium is walking distance to the old.

The Braves and Marlins are in a entirely new neighborhood, in an entirely new zip code, with an entirely new Mayor. Both teams moved (or are moving) at least 25 minutes away. That means an entirely new segment of people to market to. There are people that will no longer attend Braves/Marlins games, because the stadium is way too far away. There are also people that will now attend them, because the stadium is far closer.

It's exactly the same dynamic as with the Nationals. The same class of economic and demographic analysis required. All three teams had to weigh the risks and rewards with the new market and evaluate the new location.

I know I come off as anal here but when you consider the above it's quite inaccurate to say only one team has relocated in the last whatever years, and it's equally inaccurate to imply that only the Nationals' case required any "relocation-type thinking".

The subject at hand is someone asking for relocation in MLB The Show. They didn't ask for relocation to a different time zone, or a different country. Just relocation.
Moving from to a neighboring city/county could possibly mean a new segment to market to, but the overall demographic breakdowns typically stay the same when you are talking major metro areas (meaning that while the attending fan base may or may not change based on specific locale, the general fan base and market stays in tact). It's not a total change in market the same way a move from Montreal to DC is.

The analysis you speak of is different in that, one move is made in consideration of the of the current base while the other is made with consideration to building a new one.

I'm not telling you how to feel about it, only how it is typically viewed. You seem to be thinking of it in far more depth than even these leagues do. Otherwise, teams like the Dallas Cowboys would have a vastly different team history page...lol. In any case, I don't think a couple of minor examples helps those advocating for a relocation/stadium creator feature regardless of which way we all view them.

Quote:

I think thaSlab's original point was more just to highlight potential rationale as to why relocation might not be a priority feature for SCEA, as it's not a common occurrence.

Further, while relocation and CAS fans may have overlapping interests, each can be achieved without the other. (oops...didn't see that this last bit was addressed above).

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 03-02-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: missed something...
Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #149
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
This conversation is about people wanting to build a stadium, right?

So what difference does it make if the team moves across country, to a new country or even across town. Let alone change their name.

These examples all involve new stadiums which is what CAS people want (Note: I personally could care less about the feature, myself. It happens so infrequently in real life that I personally would find it a waste of resources).
I think that the issue at hand with what you are speaking to is that the MLB doesn't want relocation (in the common sense of the word) in their video game products.

They are probably concerned about protecting the brands and legal issues etc.

Simply (and I use that term vaguely) constructing a new venue is a different story altogether and may be something that the game eventually is allowed to do. We don't know yet. It doesn't involve the intricacies often associated with relocation such as a total rebranding with an entirely new fan base.

I can tell you that if the Rays move from St. Pete to Tampa, or anywhere else, the brand stays the same most likely. The fan base is still intact as it is within the same general vicinity. It is a different mayor, area code, zip code, venue etc. Yet the same contingency of fans and season ticket holders... employees etc. all are pretty much still with the organization. That is not something that occurs when the A's move from KC to Oakland. When Seattle moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. That is the difference to which is being pointed out here.

If you're an owner of a professional sports franchise and you tell your city, fans, fellow owners, and league commissioner that you are wanting to relocate your franchise be prepared for alarms to go off all around. If you state that you are planning to construct a new venue in the same general area of the state/province in which you currently reside... far less wheels go into motion. Way less involvement is needed from an overall standpoint.

So common is the vernacular that this is how it is phrased specifically by the general population:

List of relocations:
The following charts list movements of franchises in the modern eras of the major North American sports leagues. It does not include:
Moves within a city, which have occurred many times in all major leagues.
Short distance moves from one city in a metro area to another city in the same metro area. (For example, San Francisco to Oakland.)
Short-distance city-suburb moves. (For example, Los Angeles to Anaheim, both of which are in the same urban agglomeration.) However, two moves of a basketball franchise within the New York metropolitan area are listed because the team involved dramatically changed its primary market within the area.
Team moves that happened before the organization joined its current league.

And the list of franchises that fit into that category:

Major League Baseball:

1902: Milwaukee Brewers moved to St. Louis, Missouri and became the St. Louis Browns.
1903: Baltimore Orioles moved to New York and became the Highlanders. The team was renamed the Yankees in 1913.
1953: Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee. This was the first relocation in 50 years. During those 50 years, there had also been no expansions or contractions—Major League Baseball had consisted of the same 16 teams, 8 in each league, playing in the same 10 cities without interruption for half a century.
1954: St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Orioles.
1955: Philadelphia Athletics moved to Kansas City, Missouri.
1958: Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles; New York Giants moved to San Francisco. These were the first major league teams on the West Coast; the teams moved simultaneously to facilitate travel for other National League (NL) teams.
1961: Washington Senators (original) moved to the Twin Cities area and became the Minnesota Twins. Not wishing to alienate Washington, D.C. and its powerful baseball fans, the American League (AL) granted the city a new expansion franchise, also called the Senators.
1966: Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta, Georgia.
1968: Kansas City Athletics moved to Oakland, California. Because Charles O. Finley broke a recently signed lease and public bonds were already issued for the building of what is now known as Kauffman Stadium, Major League Baseball was in danger of anti-trust legislation from Stuart Symington, U.S. Senator from Missouri. As a result, the AL granted Kansas City a new expansion franchise in 1969.
1970: Seattle Pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. The AL granted Seattle a new expansion franchise in 1977.
1972: Washington Senators (second franchise) moved to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
2005: Montreal Expos moved to Washington, D.C. and became the Washington Nationals. The Expos had split time between Montreal and San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2003 and 2004. This was the first relocation in 33 years.

Last edited by bigwill33; 03-02-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #150
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

Yes, it is. I'm sure if you (not you in particular) look up relocation in pro sports, it will define it as moving to a different metropolitan location... and probably involve a name change. But yeah, the original post mentioned relocation in particular, with no mention of CAS.

On another note: stream time!

YouTube

Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #151
Banned

Corymach7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
This isn't up to SCEA. This is an MLB rule.
If that's an MLB rule, I'll say this to Rob Manfred:

IF YOU DON'T TAKE OUT THAT RULE, I WILL PROTEST AGAINST IT FOR SCEA!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #152
Banned

Corymach7's Arena

Only those without brains will buy a pro sports video game that doesn't allow relocation of franchises.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »