Home

MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #513
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitholeCreek
I average about 10 posts a year in these forums, so chances are you weren't going to see me regardless.

Also, when I've raised the issue of retractable roofs, I've tried to do so in the form of constructive criticism because ultimately I want the game to be better. I consider this an important issue with the game due to the fact that a closed roof significantly affects the overall atmosphere (and sometimes gameplay) at a ballpark. I don't believe that SCEA fully recognizes this, and I think that retractable roofs need to be given a higher priority than they have been to date. Therefore I disagree with the characterization that I'm merely complaining.
I agree 100%. I think SCEA's decision to add 10 minor league stadiums, but not an open roof and closed roof version of existing major league stadiums was probably an oversight, but nonetheless the game sounds great.

With this said, has there been any performance improvements to the existing zone hitting module in the new version of the game? More realistic hit variations depending on when and where you swing? How about strikeout totals? I noticed in last year's version the CPU would foul off an inordinate amount of 2-strike pitches resulting in seemingly low strikeout totals. Has this been improved in any way?
Old 01-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k

I don't think that's a very realistic way to reflect the mechanism of hitting in real life (insert Blzer's upcoming tome on hitting and baseball game as a reference).... but, who knows, given that some people seem very adamant in that style of hitting in video baseball game, you might get your wish at some point.

I think the PCI is much more realistic way to replicate the real-life approach of hitting than cursor-based system. The cursor-based hitting becomes more like playing a shooting game, and not baseball hitting. But that's just my opinion.
I disagree. I think cursor-based hitting is easily the most realistic representation of actual hitting because it's physics-based rather than PCI-based. The way The Show has it (and explained in Bob's quote below), hitting with PCI is simply way too lenient. If the pitch is low and outside and I don't touch the left stick using zone hitting, I can still very easily make contact and foul the pitch off. That is simply not even close to realistic. I can't tell you how many times I've swung HIGH on a low pitch and fouled it off. That's absurd. I think cursor-based hitting alleviates this problem while also improving hit variety because it's so heavily physics-based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead

This has nothing to do with the PCI. It's a disguise for another problem, which is a ridiculous amount of lenience while batting, targeted towards casual gamers. The problem would still probably exist with cursor batting. The solution is not to do away with the PCI, but to just make the higher difficulty levels more challenging like they are supposed to be. Currently I can go on legend and make contact on just about anything as long as my timing was decent. It should not be that way on the hardest possible difficulty level. Period.
As I mentioned above, I agree with this in that the PCI hitting is laughably unrealistic in that fouling pitches off even on the hardest difficulty is shockingly easy. I understand not going full-on cursor-based hitting, but the PCI on Zone hitting needs DRASTIC improvements to have a more realistic representation of hitting. If I swing up on a low pitch, I should miss it 100% of the time.

The thing I don't like about PCI hitting at all is that it's "Show"-based in that if the pitch is low and I swing low, the level of contact is completely determined by the game and the ratings of that particular player. If I swing low and the game says it's time for a foul ball, the game can put the PCI a touch lower, causing a foul ball. But on the other side, if the game determines it's time for a solid hit, VOILA . . . the PCI magically is right on the pitch. It's too reliant on the game and not enough on user control. Cursor-based hitting can be reliant on both in that the user has to put the cursor on the ball to make solid contact, BUT the ratings come into play based on just how hard the ball is hit. This is why I think cursor-based hitting is by far and away the most realistic representation of hitting in video game baseball.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #515
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
I agree 100%. I think SCEA's decision to add 10 minor league stadiums, but not an open roof and closed roof version of existing major league stadiums was probably an oversight, but nonetheless the game sounds great.
I seriously doubt it's an oversight. The task of creating retractable roofs is probably a much bigger issue than any of us realize, for all we know it could require a complete management asset overhaul to avoid increased load times, etc. Compare that to 10 minor league stadiums -- where they already have a template in place -- and you can see why they would focus their efforts on one and not the other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #516
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Russell... Any chance you can tell us the brands for batting and fielding gloves?
Zero ghost rider
Old 01-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #517
Banned

CJ10's Arena

Re: MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3maddenjunkie
anyone know what the glove brand is? nike I know is one what are the other 3?
It should be Wilson and Rawlings for sure. Other than Mizuno and TPS (Louisville Slugger) I cant think of another prominent brand of fielding gloves.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #518
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I don't think that's a very realistic way to reflect the mechanism of hitting in real life (insert Blzer's upcoming tome on hitting and baseball game as a reference).... but, who knows, given that some people seem very adamant in that style of hitting in video baseball game, you might get your wish at some point.

I think the PCI is much more realistic way to replicate the real-life approach of hitting than cursor-based system. The cursor-based hitting becomes more like playing a shooting game, and not baseball hitting. But that's just my opinion.
B Ma doesn't like that mechanic last time I checked for various reasons. So I'll go out on a limb to say it's not in the cards.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #519
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
The thing I don't like about PCI hitting at all is that it's "Show"-based in that if the pitch is low and I swing low, the level of contact is completely determined by the game and the ratings of that particular player. If I swing low and the game says it's time for a foul ball, the game can put the PCI a touch lower, causing a foul ball. But on the other side, if the game determines it's time for a solid hit, VOILA . . . the PCI magically is right on the pitch. It's too reliant on the game and not enough on user control. Cursor-based hitting can be reliant on both in that the user has to put the cursor on the ball to make solid contact, BUT the ratings come into play based on just how hard the ball is hit. This is why I think cursor-based hitting is by far and away the most realistic representation of hitting in video game baseball.
Then what is the point of rosters or player hitting ratings? From what you are asking for, the only rating that would matter would be power.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #520
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Here is my hope for brands:

Louisville Slugger/TPX/Omaha bats and gloves

Rawlings for gloves, cleats and accessories

Carolina Clubs for bats

Nike for cleats

Easton for accesories

Also I am very happy to read the HR camera was scrapped completely! And I have this really goos feeling that the yellow circle under the players that plagued MLB 14 with auto field on but manual throw will also....be gone!

So let it be written....so let it be done!!!
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-30-2015 at 02:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »