Home

MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet - Gameplay Reveal Scheduled For February 5th on Twitch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #57
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
To Ramone:

Are the dynamic pitch movements tied to arm slot or is it a selectable thing?

Or does it mean something like there are no longer deviations of pitches and only FB,CB,SL,CH etc?
No on both accounts.

Quote:
Most of the changes below are based on real life stats and research..

All pitches now vary their break axis for real. For example, a Curveball sometimes will spin 12-6 O’Clock or 10-4 O’Clock. A 12-6 Curveball will sometimes spin 1-7 O’Clock or 11-5 O’Clock. Even a 4-seam will do this, but the OSD won’t display it because the 4-seam is considered the “reference pitch” that is compared to by default. It’s subtle but definitely noticeable in testing. Real life pitches vary more than this , but there’s design and playability drawbacks to varying too much. There are some complications from this change, some are addressed while others aren’t critical and still worth keeping.

Pitch break magnitudes vary slightly more too. I.e. a 12 inch break might vary between 10.5-13.5 inches between throws before any other factors are applied.

4-Seam Fastballs spin at 11 O-Clock (1 O-Clock from pitcher’s perspective) and tail in on a same handed hitter. If there’s good data on arm slots, we can vary this from 9-12. So a side-arm pitcher would have his 4-Seam move more like a sinker even though it’s rolling 4-seams, has the accuracy bonus of a 4-seam, etc.. We already have the rule that side-arm pitchers overthrow/underthrow side-ways, but the data needs to be comprehensively set and QA’d before we start using it for armslot/spinaxis.

Curveballs are much easier to see and recognize earlier. Changeups and sliders should be slightly easier to read. 2-seams and sinkers sink more than before. Higher break pitchers tail at a lower axis (same is true for slider and cutter).

Most of the spin and break formulas have been tuned based on the latest research I know of. For example based on Trackman, the best curveball pitcher is about 3000 rpm whereas the average is 2450. So I increased curveball spin accordingly overall, but reduced the gap between the best and average pitcher to +/- 22% rather than +/- 33% which is kind of exaggerated. That’s still a big difference because our OSD can only show ½ the curveball movement (it might break 2 feet but we’ll only show 1 foot, otherwise you can’t even aim it). Instead of exaggerating the OSD’s break for breaking pitches, instead I’ll try to show a realistic break (in the case of CB, scaled by 1/2x) and let the formulas do the work of differentiating effectiveness.

2450 rpm translates to 41 rotations per second, which is about 20 rotations to the plate for a curveball. A fastball is on average 2200 rpm, about 14 rotations to the plate (depending on speed). I checked these numbers against some other sources and they’re not far off, and probably more definitive coming from Trackman which has comprehensive data using professional grade equipment. In any case the numbers happen to be a potential improvement because of their implications on pitch recognition.
B Ma
Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #58
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Almost forgot!

Russell do players in the All Star game finally wear there home team jerseys during gameplay? And if not is this something we can look forward to in the near future?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #59
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187
Hi Russell,

Is Online Franchise still in the game?
Thanks.
Affirmative
Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #60
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Does it have 2-player Manage Mode Only?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #61
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
Almost forgot!

Russell do players in the All Star game finally wear there home teams jerseys during gameplay?
No doing that still uses way to much memory.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #62
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
No on both accounts.

B Ma
Thank you sir and thank you B Ma, I'll be bookmarking this post. I think I asked about something like this a couple of years ago, It's great to see it make its way into the game
Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 3

Can we import/export players within franchise mode?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #64
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Does it have 2-player Manage Mode Only?
Was that in the game last year? If it wasn't then the answer is no.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »