Home

Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance

This is a discussion on Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #41
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Lawsuit by Former NFL Players Against EA Allowed to Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Finally found the actual case and PDF of ruling for anyone interested: http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...6/12-15737.pdf

I was wrong, the 2001-2009 games are cited as having historical teams and that is the reason for litigation. This obviously was during exclusivity, but still maintain that has much bearing if any on the discussion or the litigation.
I agree with you that the likeness lawsuits are tangential, at best to the exclusivity agreements, more probably, not correlated at all. Conflating all of EA's various financial, legal, and qualitative mishaps with the exclusivity deal has been a tried and true internet practice for many years now.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #42
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I agree with you that the likeness lawsuits are tangential, at best to the exclusivity agreements, more probably, not correlated at all. Conflating all of EA's various financial, legal, and qualitative mishaps with the exclusivity deal has been a tried and true internet practice for many years now.
I get that people see things different ways but what I don't get is how others try to label it as something other than different conclusions drawn from the same facts. EA's exclusive video game licenses are a fact, they're not something people are making up and as such can be interpreted as factors in plausibly any reasonable discussion around those games.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #43

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Why are we talking about EA's exclusive license in this thread?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #44
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Usual axe-grinding, it seems.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #45
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Usual axe-grinding, it seems.
Really? lol

At this point I'll just take this with a grain of salt because, agree with me or not, I have articulated why I think EA's exclusives could have merit in this discussion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #46
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

OVR: 0

So, I am nowhere near to being a lawyer, but where does the NFL and NFLPA fall under this? Or is this EA's problem their own to handle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #47

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Really? lol

At this point I'll just take this with a grain of salt because, agree with me or not, I have articulated why I think EA's exclusives could have merit in this discussion.
Correct me if I'm wrong with this but in this post you bring it up to say that you believe they have a bullet on their back because they are the only game in down due to the license.

Won't get into the debate on whether that bullet is why they are getting sued BUT can't debate this post:

Quote:
I don't agree with this at all considering it's the products EA has exclusive rights to where these likeness issues seem to keep arising. I haven't looked much into this, yet it seems this "target" on EA seems to stem, in one form or another, from EA's exclusive market share in NCAA and NFL video games. I would think if there were more parity among these markets, like there once was, these issues would get resolved differently, for whatever reason. Whether that would be due to there being a more uniform way of handling likeness, it not being as financially beneficial to sue multiple companies with divided market share, there being a more artistic perception/precedent when it's done in various game by various companies or whatever. However the way it stands now, if there is an issue with likeness for those type of games, the exclusives make EA the sole target.

Heavy is the head that wears/bought the crown.
What then does this post have anything to do with this lawsuit which is what this thread is about?

Quote:
I get that people see things different ways but what I don't get is how others try to label it as something other than different conclusions drawn from the same facts. EA's exclusive video game licenses are a fact, they're not something people are making up and as such can be interpreted as factors in plausibly any reasonable discussion around those games.

Whether or not I agree with the post I don't see any issue bringing it up in the manner you did initially but that doesn't mean it's part of the discussion.

This second post is solely about the license and has no bearing in the conversation about this lawsuit in this manner.

Again, you want to blame it for why we have this lawsuit now? Fine.

But this isn't a place to go on tangents about it. This thread is about this particular lawsuit.

And no, I am not singling you out. I never quoted anyone or called anyone out The timing of my post was strictly coincidental that it came after yours because that's when I got home from work. Just responding to your post.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #48

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
So, I am nowhere near to being a lawyer, but where does the NFL and NFLPA fall under this? Or is this EA's problem their own to handle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nowhere. The lawsuit is about players being used in the game once they were no longer in the NFLPA and therefore aren't being compensated for being in the game.

Last edited by kehlis; 01-08-2015 at 08:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »