Home

Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

In the "70 ego" season mode game that I played tonight, the CPU's second relief pitcher (each team only gets two of them) took the mound in the 7th inning. Reliever #2 quickly got into a low mojo/low fatigue state, and proceeded to give up 13 runs over a span of 3 innings, all because the CPU refused to sub in their closing pitcher until the 9th inning:

In the CPU closer's first pitching matchup, he immediately walked in a run, and then responded by beaning the very next batter with a wild pitch (video cuts off before the latter happened).

This is pretty typical for what I'm seeing in most 9 inning games, regardless of how high the difficulty is set -- lots of walks/wild pitches and poor bullpen management from the CPU.

Last edited by jyoung; 12-18-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #74
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I think you may be right about the game being tuned for 5 innings. It's a bummer though for those of us who prefer to play 9 innings.

I've been averaging double-digit walks every game in my 9 inning season because the CPU keeps leaving in low mojo/low stamina pitchers.

You basically have to force yourself to swing at off the plate junk to keep from turning these 9 inning games into a parade of walks.

I think they could resolve this issue by:

1) Increasing the size of teams' bullpens.

2) Give teams X number of "mound visits" per game, which would temporarily raise a pitcher's mojo. Three per game seems like a good number?

3) Improve the CPU's decision making when it's clearly time to remove a pitcher from the game due to low mojo/low fatigue.

I'm a little over 20 games into my season with the Overdogs and have not have had issue with this. I don't swing at a lot of balls but average a couple of walks per game. I noticed you posting on this issue a day or two ago and had concern so I made sure to keep an eye out for it. Played probably 10 games of my season last night and no similar issues at all. In fact, in my last game the CPU subbed for their starter in the 5th inning while his stamina and mojo were still good. Then in the sixth inning they subbed again, for no apparent reason. Couldn't figure out why this happened especially in light of what you have seen as well at the starting pitcher was cruising against me when he was pulled.

All in all I am seeing fairly appropriate subbing of the CPU pitchers.

I'm playing at a 50 ego but as you have reported the ego most likely doesn't make a difference in this area. Not doubting you at all, what you are seeing could certainly ruin the game, just glad it's not happening to me at this point.

I will continue to watch for this issue and will report back if it pops up in my season. Hopefully it's something that can be patched if it's a widespread issue.

I need to mention that the check swings in this game are SWEET!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #75
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Downloaded and played a few games last night. The game lives up to all the hype it's getting. It is so much fun and even though it has an arcade look, it plays realisticly. One word can describe this game- FUN!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #76
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
I'm a little over 20 games into my season with the Overdogs and have not have had issue with this. I don't swing at a lot of balls but average a couple of walks per game. I noticed you posting on this issue a day or two ago and had concern so I made sure to keep an eye out for it. Played probably 10 games of my season last night and no similar issues at all. In fact, in my last game the CPU subbed for their starter in the 5th inning while his stamina and mojo were still good. Then in the sixth inning they subbed again, for no apparent reason. Couldn't figure out why this happened especially in light of what you have seen as well at the starting pitcher was cruising against me when he was pulled.

All in all I am seeing fairly appropriate subbing of the CPU pitchers.

I'm playing at a 50 ego but as you have reported the ego most likely doesn't make a difference in this area. Not doubting you at all, what you are seeing could certainly ruin the game, just glad it's not happening to me at this point.

I will continue to watch for this issue and will report back if it pops up in my season. Hopefully it's something that can be patched if it's a widespread issue.

I need to mention that the check swings in this game are SWEET!
I'm playing at 55 Ego, and I haven't seen it as well. Of course I chase a lot of bad pitches too!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #77
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
I'm playing at 55 Ego, and I haven't seen it as well. Of course I chase a lot of bad pitches too!
Yeah, I see you and Jyoung on my friends' leader board. Don't think I'll ever be able to break Jyoung's record of 691,000 star points in one game! I threw a perfect game and only received 390,000 or so. Ego makes a difference too, I'm at 50 and Jyoung plays at a higher ego than that thus would get more points for good play. 50 is playing pretty well for me after 25 games or so into my season. I'm like 15-7, going to play out a medium season to see how I fare then move ego up for my next season.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #78
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I finally had a decent offensive game. I was a little pissed off when my closer gave up 4 runs in the 5th to let the other team catch back up, but we finished it in the 6th. That was a very fun game.

I played a bit against Hustlin Owl through Shareplay last night as well. That was my first time using the feature since it's been added and I thought it was pretty cool. It's nice to be able to let someone check out a game if they don't have it already.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #79
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8

The devs on Twitter said the first patch will cover bugs and balancing issues, so they seem to be aware of the pitching issues since that was a direct reply to someone commenting on the same being said here. Also they replied to me on a tweet asking about customization for all teams in the future and they are also looking into that as well.
Twitter
YouTube
Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 2

That was my tweet, they answered quickly! Also directed me to a patch 1 forum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »