Home

Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #65
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

Downloading the game tonight... can't wait!

Would anyone be interested in a SharePlay tournament or league?

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #66
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Downloading the game tonight... can't wait!

Would anyone be interested in a SharePlay tournament or league?
I mentioned it earlier a shareplay league
Old 12-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #67
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Word of WARNING!!!

if you plan to make a custom team prior to doing a season - don't rename and change all the players first if you want to change the team name. I went with the "WideLoad" team and painstakingly changed the entire roster wanting to rename the team to "Hero's" but all that did was create a new team with the default guys!!!

I'll either just play the season anyway or take pics of everyone and try to mimic it.

My team is awesome though and I have most people looking like B+ some A+ and a couple C- lol

Arnold Schwartz - RF
Sly Stallone - LF
Uma Thurman (kill Bill) -C
Mr. T - 2B
Grace Jones (Conan) -BN/SS
Dolf Lungren -3B
JeanClaude Van Damme -CF
Chuck Norris -RP
Pai Mei -Closer
Bruce Lee -RP
Bruce Willis - 1B
Linda Carter (wonder Woman) -SS
Michael Ironside - SP
Mike Tyson -BN
Usain Bolt -BN/OF
Taxi Driver (deneiro) - SP
Tong Po (kickboxer) - SP

I may be forgetting a player or two... will post a picture later tonight or tomorrow when I get some time, but it's pretty awesome!

now aside from that little warning to make your team name first ... the game is pretty awesome... I started with ego 25, but will move it to 55-65 range where I will probably settle there.

As someone said season mode defaults to 9 innings, not sure if I can change that or need to start a new season.

I wish I could save player types.

I love the look, pace and fun factor of the game. The controls are great too. Takes me back to Great Baseball for the MASTER SYSTEM!

I only played 3 games, 1 of 5 inning and 2 of 9 ... and in the 9 inning my pitcher (ironside) went 6 innings then I brought in Chuck Norris (7th) Bruce Lee (8th) and finished with Pai Mei. At 25 ego I won easily 12-2 but had a blast anyway.

I also worked in almost every bench player because of A - no DH and B - because I wanted to put them in the game. As it gets harder, Bolt and Jones will be great strategically because they are very fast. I got a triple with Jones and a double with Bolt that both never would have been without their speed.

What can I say - I love the game, it's a no-brainer and will go down as a classic for sure. As I've said in other threads this generation for me has been dominated by the 'arcade' titles so far. Lots of originality, fun and great developing.

The customization in this game is great - don't worry about individual ratings because you can develop players and more importantly the variety in the default teams allow you to create a team like I did and give strengths to make sense for the most part to almost every player.

This game also makes sense in a great way that other games may lack. Most games are trying to mimic reality - this game probably because of its art style is free from that, but what happens is that all of the elements within the game makes sense and feel right within itself. That said, there is a ton of hit variety and pitches and is plays a game of baseball that is familiar and doesn't stray too far from the sport.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #68
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Lets shareplay someone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #69
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm loving the game. The games are so quick and fun I'm always saying just one more game. Especially to see what I can next do to improve my team.

I didn't even realize you could change the name of the teams.

Also loving that if you buy it you have it for the PS4 and PS3. Probably not a big deal to many, but my health is poor and I am in bed some days, so I have my PS3 in the bedroom for that purpose and having a team going on both systems has been fun.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #70
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I played the heck out this game today. Not mad at the purchase at all. I ran with Ego 50 the majority of the time and I'm not generating very much offense at all. The CPU isn't either though, so I might try to keep at it. Looking forward to checking out the season mode tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #71
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

any way to shorten games in season mode to less than 9 innings? I just assumed there was but I can't find it. Running a Season at 44 ego ... did 50 and it was too much right now, 38 was too easy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
From playing the game seems to be tuned for 5 innings of play. The stamina and mojo depletion system do not appear to be stretched out properly for 9 innings of baseball. Having more pitchers would help but there needs to be a re-tune and balance for it.
I think you may be right about the game being tuned for 5 innings. It's a bummer though for those of us who prefer to play 9 innings.

I've been averaging double-digit walks every game in my 9 inning season because the CPU keeps leaving in low mojo/low stamina pitchers.

You basically have to force yourself to swing at off the plate junk to keep from turning these 9 inning games into a parade of walks.

I think they could resolve this issue by:

1) Increasing the size of teams' bullpens.

2) Give teams X number of "mound visits" per game, which would temporarily raise a pitcher's mojo. Three per game seems like a good number?

3) Improve the CPU's decision making when it's clearly time to remove a pitcher from the game due to low mojo/low fatigue.

Last edited by jyoung; 12-18-2014 at 02:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »