Home

In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
OK I'll spell it out. There is no foot planting, no step based locomotion, no inertia. When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to.
Not that I do not accept different opinions. But especially the second part of this sentence is simply not true and makes me wonder how many games you really played. If you shoot from the right side with a right footed player you see the appropriate result.
The collision detection, imo part of the physics engine, is much better in PES. In FIFA you have tons of stupid collisions between your own players. This is not the case in PES.
PES has a lot of weaknesses and the rating of 8 in OS is fair, maybe too high. But the FIFA rating of 9 and the love this game gets is beyond me. On the pitch FIFA is just plain awful. I could give you ( and already have given in other threads) a dozen of examples what FIFA does awfully wrong year in and out. Off the pitch it is much better than PES. But where are games decided? On or off the pitch?

Last edited by Battman; 11-24-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics.
How do you play long high balls into the gap in FIFA?
Either you press the high ball button and (with all aims off) the ball will be too long as it has no (back)spin (or the keeper goes 25 meters out and gets the ball before you can touch it. Because in FIFA even the worst keeper has Manuel Neuer-like skills.). Or you play a high through ball (triangle +L1) which is too slow and too high and therefore not usable as a real through ball. In PES you can actually play good high passes into the gap. FIFA improved the ball physics so that shootings feels better than ever before in this series. But PES still feels better.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #51
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to. Same with cutting and running. As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics. There are other issues as well on the pitch. Fouls are few and far between, :
I can see a lot of your points and agree, but the bit about shooting and passing is wrong. You can hit a varied amount of shots in PES, and they look great. I do like shooting in FIFA a little better, but passing ...... passing is better in PES hands down. Bent passes are my favourite, something I cant achieve very well in FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
OK I'll spell it out. There is no foot planting, no step based locomotion, no inertia. When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to. Same with cutting and running. As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics. There are other issues as well on the pitch. Fouls are few and far between, the CPU tends to dribble excessively when it's near the 18 yard box, on the defensive end the flanks are defended at the expense of the middle of the field, I can go on, but I won't I'm not going to troll the thread. My point is PES is not worthy of the review scores it's received. The reviewers and fan boys are looking at the game through rose colored glasses, why" I don't know, nostalgia I guess. PES does ONE thing well, ONE. We all know what that is. Maybe that can carry the day for some, and that's great, it doesn't do it for me. And with that, I am out.
Ah come on Orion. I understand what your saying but somethings seem to show you still havenīt got the hang of everything in the game.
Iīve seen lots of swerve in pretty much every shot Iīve done, and itīs quite contextual. Try to run in a direction full sprint and shoot the other. Usually shot does swerve. I wish I had saved a shot I made this morning. Ball was falling and as soon as she bounced the grass, my player shoots. It was a beautifull effect as the ball rised fast and described an amazing diping curve, totally beating the keeper but it went wide, with the keeper just staring.

Thereīs alot of variation and somethings take time to show up. Donīt mean to judge your opinion as I actually agree with some things youīve said, but I also think that the bad things are making you forget the good ones.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #53
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
I can see a lot of your points and agree, but the bit about shooting and passing is wrong. You can hit a varied amount of shots in PES, and they look great. I do like shooting in FIFA a little better, but passing ...... passing is better in PES hands down. Bent passes are my favourite, something I cant achieve very well in FIFA.
Your not getting what I'm saying, the shots aren't physics based, so while there may be say knuckle shots in the game, they're random and have nothing to do with the way the ball was hit, just who hits it, and the dice roll.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #54
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Your not getting what I'm saying, the shots aren't physics based, so while there may be say knuckle shots in the game, they're random and have nothing to do with the way the ball was hit, just who hits it, and the dice roll.
You're right, I did miss the point - my apologies.

This could be true. How have you come to that conclusion - observation, reading the code? ...

Also, I'm not sure how much it matters when I see EA manipulating their physics to give the bounces they want. Until I see true physics without manipulation for difficulty adjustment, I only care what looks/plays the best.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #55
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicpanad
Ah come on Orion. I understand what your saying but somethings seem to show you still havenīt got the hang of everything in the game.
Iīve seen lots of swerve in pretty much every shot Iīve done, and itīs quite contextual. Try to run in a direction full sprint and shoot the other. Usually shot does swerve. I wish I had saved a shot I made this morning. Ball was falling and as soon as she bounced the grass, my player shoots. It was a beautifull effect as the ball rised fast and described an amazing diping curve, totally beating the keeper but it went wide, with the keeper just staring.

Thereīs alot of variation and somethings take time to show up. Donīt mean to judge your opinion as I actually agree with some things youīve said, but I also think that the bad things are making you forget the good ones.
Read the comment above. And remember, I do like the game, it is great fun on the pitch, I don't and never did deny that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast

How do you do "Bent passes"?
I must have missed that in the help sections and training????
Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »