Home

NBA 2K15 Video - Welcome To MyPARK, Full Details Included

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Video - Welcome To MyPARK, Full Details Included within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #281
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15 Video - Welcome To MyPARK, Full Details Included

Eh 370 days till 2k'16, i got plenty of time to post my idea's in a well thought out and presentable manner. It involves a dynamic lobby system MYcourt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #282
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I wonder how many of you people that are complaining about waiting to play:

1. Play MMOs like World of Warcraft.

2. Actually, go outside and play for real.

Just wondering.

And tell me how you would maintain a PERSISTENT environment without waiting. Don't say instancing/phasing because the you break continuity. Wrong answer. I'm sure they would love to hear your ideas.
Persistence shouldn't be the primary design goal in a basketball game. If it exists, it should be for flavor, but definitely should not get in the way of games played.

I think comparing 2K to MMOs or actual pickup misses the point. 2K doesn't gain very much from the persistence given the massive amounts of downtime-- and a video game shouldn't include the least enjoyable parts of an activity. I want an NBA sim but that doesn't mean I want to pay 40 bucks a game or simulate a two hour drive in traffic to Oracle each game either. :P

So yes, instancing. Because persistence at all costs IS the wrong answer.

Ideally parks should be instanced so that wait times are short and the most you'd have to wait is one game. If at all. But really, it seems like this forced waiting is designed by someone who likes the idea of parks for their own sakes over the actual idea of playing lots of games.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #283
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Need? It's ****ing cool! There's a reason MMOs have been HUGE in the industry! Why do you think the mode exists? If you don't want to wait, play a regular online match. Problem solved.

It's one thing to SAY you can get both. But that's just talk.
There's a big difference between cool in concept and cool in actual execution. There's no REAL persistence in MyPark that's added by the wait time other than seeing other people around. There's no real game mechanic based on that either. They're just individual basketball games whose persistence through the record keeping is accomplished entirely apart from the "persistence" forcing the waits.

MMOs are completely different because you can choose to any number of things-- you're not forced to wait to do the only thing that you can do in the game.

And even MMOs instance. Odd that MMOs are brought up as an example of persistence and then instancing disregarded, when they popularized the mechanic precisely because of the issues with persistence. One is literally the solution to the other. What you're describing is the equivalent of waiting for another group before you to finish a dungeon before you can enter it. That would be a horrible design. I've played MMOs without that sort of instancing, waiting for dungeon respawns and resets. It was a horrible experience.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-03-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #284
Rookie

KingIcky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cf3411
Psn c_fitz34 hmu on there look at mine and city_foxx threads on the online sub forum we putting a squad together.
which positions?
Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #285
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Persistence shouldn't be the primary design goal in a basketball game. If it exists, it should be for flavor, but definitely should not get in the way of games played.
Says who? That's your personal opinion that I completely disagree with. Persistent is a pretty Boolean concept man. Either you have it or you don't. If you don't have it in this mode, you may as well not have that mode. And, in my opinion, that's a hell no. It's by far my favorite mode, but I play WoW. I know I have to wait to get in raids and such.

If this isn't for you, that's cool. But don't try to pretend the persistent open world paradigm doesn't belong in basketball. That's completely wrong.

Quote:
I think comparing 2K to MMOs or actual pickup misses the point. 2K doesn't gain very much from the persistence given the massive amounts of downtime-- and a video game shouldn't include the least enjoyable parts of an activity.
That's like saying waiting breaks MMOs and chess. We know it does not. It sucks, but it's there. To go back to my other point - dudes that play for REAL wait in a hot *** sun to play hoops. And no one complains.

Quote:
I want an NBA sim but that doesn't mean I want to pay 40 bucks a game or simulate a two hour drive in traffic to Oracle each game either. :P
Where is the sim lost I the wait?

Quote:
So yes, instancing. Because persistence at all costs IS the wrong answer.
Nope. Wrong answer. The persistence IS the mode. Take it out, you lost the mode. Done. You made a lobby. Oh what fun! Screw that. Not to mention you lost continuous spectating. Yay! Another loss.

Quote:
Ideally parks should be instanced so that wait times are short and the most you'd have to wait is one game. If at all. But really, it seems like this forced waiting is designed by someone who likes the idea of parks for their own sakes over the actual idea of playing lots of games.
Hold on. Forced waiting? That implies that you think this is an intentional facet instead of a natural byproduct. Come on, Sun (no pun intended), you're better than that.

Guys, it just sounds like you don't want to accept this mode for what it is. And that's fine. You want the standard online pickup games with interactive world lobbies. And some spectating.

Meh!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #286
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
There's a big difference cool in concept and cool in actual execution. There's no REAL persistence in MyPark that's added by the wait time other than seeing other people around. There's no real game mechanic based on that either. They're just individual basketball games whose persistence through the record keeping is accomplished entirely apart from the "persistence" forcing the waits.

MMOs are completely different because you can choose to any number of things-- you're not forced to wait to do the only thing that you can do in the game.

And even MMOs instance. Odd that MMOs are brought up and then instancing disregarded, when they popularized the mechanic. What you're describing is the equivalent of waiting for another group before you to finish a dungeon before you can enter it. That would be a horrible design. I've played MMOs without that sort of instancing, waiting for dungeon respawns and resets. It was a horrible experience.
THAT is the problem with the waits. Giving people something to do as they wait!

Now we can get down to business!

What can we do while we wait?

1. I would like an open shoot around area.
2. Make the world more interesting. Interactive. Let me interact with those machines!
3. Can I play some mini-game while I wait?
4. Let me heckle or cheer on the current game. Let me do something that can affect that game in at least some immaterial way.

Just some examples.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #287
Just started!

7' 2" Center
PS4
Squad???
Old 10-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #288
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

You seriously think that waiting around for 30 minutes to play adds to the mode and removal of the wait time would ruin it? That literally delivers no benefit to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »