Home

NBA 2K15 Livestream Starting Now - Bulls vs. Lakers

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Livestream Starting Now - Bulls vs. Lakers within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #369
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA 2K15 Livestream Starting Now - Bulls vs. Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I can live without a good halftime show but I would most certainly prefer there be one, particularly if it were in the fashion of NFL 2K5. I'm not sure if I'm board with this logic though:

As others have alluded, in many cases maybe portions of the game are skipped and passed over because they have not been done with great quality, or they have grown repetitive over time (as in, it's been generally the same relatively bare halftime show for many 2K iterations).

I'm also worried that the "people don't play it, so we're gonna remove it" logic could be applied to things like the dunk contest and three point shootout (and more). As has been said before, I think those two modes are not played almost exclusively because their gameplay & responsiveness is atrocious. For every one gamer who enjoys playing Guitar Hero as a means of controlling their dunks, there's 453 others who realize it bears no resemblance to controlling or executing anything on a basketball court. But I digress.

To echo what 24th Letter said earlier, I believe if 2K builds it, they will come.
*cough*D League*cough*

I'm almost certain they removed the D League for this very reason. This just isn't good reason for removing elements that add to the authenticity of the game. It's been 2 or 3 years since 2K removed the D League and I'm doubting we'll see it back anytime soon.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ using Tapatalk

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #370
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
*cough*D League*cough*

I'm almost certain they removed the D League for this very reason. This just isn't good reason for removing elements that add to the authenticity of the game. It's been 2 or 3 years since 2K removed the D League and I'm doubting we'll see it back anytime soon.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ using Tapatalk
The D-League wasn't used because it wasn't effectively implemented. It will come back when 2K can use it in a way that justifies it's LICENSING.

It costs MONEY, TIME, and RESOURCES to put a professional league in the game. Does playing against a bunch of generics sound like an authentic experience? The fans didn't think so and they never utilized it. It's previous inclusion was a waste of time and space.

Eventually the D-League will evolve to the point where every team will have a minor league squad. The NBA isn't there yet, so why critique their video game for not being there?
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #371
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
The D-League wasn't used because it wasn't effectively implemented. It will come back when 2K can use it in a way that justifies it's LICENSING.

It costs MONEY, TIME, and RESOURCES to put a professional league in the game. Does playing against a bunch of generics sound like an authentic experience? The fans didn't think so and they never utilized it. It's previous inclusion was a waste of time and space.

Eventually the D-League will evolve to the point where every team will have a minor league squad. The NBA isn't there yet, so why critique their video game for not being there?
Personally, I felt the ability to edit generic players or at least add created players to the D-League teams (like we've done with classic teams for years) would have opened the D-League up entirely. Major League Baseball games have gone this route for years and their minor league clubs have offered a wonderful alternative experience (on top of providing a key wrinkle to their franchise modes).

If NBA 2K removed the likes of the D-League, Summer League, and Training Camp only because they felt they couldn't offer an experience as authentic as they'd like (while on the same hand introducing a fake rival, linear fantasy storylines, and forced Doc Rivers takeovers), then I must say that I remain a touch surprised that they still haven't been able to find a way to allow D-League rosters to be edited after more than four years of development, hence providing the potential for authenticity they so desire.

I believe the issue is the toss up a company must face between "what's popular" and "what best aides in mimicking the NBA experience". As another example, I believe it could be argued that the D-League may have as much to do with the NBA, if not more so, than Euroleague, particularly with the manner that Euroleague is currently implemented (entirely separate from the NBA experience, unless one chooses to add them to a custom MyLeague). Yet, the license remains and the teams remain, assuming to be as a result of popularity amongst foreign markets.

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-01-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #372
MVP

OVR: 1
NBA 2K15 Livestream Starting Now - Bulls vs. Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Personally, I felt the ability to edit generic players or at least add created players to the D-League teams (like we've done with classic teams for years) would have opened the D-League up entirely. Major League Baseball games have gone this route for years and their minor league clubs have offered a wonderful alternative experience (on top of providing a key wrinkle to their franchise modes).

If NBA 2K removed the likes of the D-League, Summer League, and Training Camp only because they felt they couldn't offer an experience as authentic as they'd like (while on the same hand introducing a fake rival, linear fantasy storylines, and forced Doc Rivers takeovers), then I must say that I remain a touch surprised that they still haven't been able to find a way to allow D-League rosters to be edited after more than four years of development, hence providing the potential for authenticity they so desire.

I believe the issue is the toss up a company must face between "what's popular" and "what best aides in mimicking the NBA experience". As another example, I believe it could be argued that the D-League may have as much to do with the NBA, if not more so, than Euroleague, particularly with the manner that Euroleague is currently implemented (entirely separate from the NBA experience, unless one chooses to add them to a custom MyLeague). Yet, the license remains and the teams remain, assuming to be as a result of popularity amongst foreign markets.

The thing is, I think it's possible to appeal to both what's popular and what's authentic. Most of it revolves around giving setting options to adjust the authenticity vs accessibility of things such as pre draft games. I'm not sure how a fake rival appeals to anyone, and I'm not sure someone who isn't bothered by Doc Rivers' take over would care or know who he is in the first place.

They really should have a few NBA players willing to play as "rivals" to you. Grab a few rookies or undrafted players willing to ham it up. It'd be good for their brand. Or some stars willing to play a little make believe with your character (without being moved to teams they don't belong on).

At least try to inject authenticity and engagement at the same time, because that usually resonates most.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #373
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

It's a valid theory, but do you guys REALLY believe the D-League theme was removed from the MyCareer mode because it wasn't done well or authentic.

No offense but: HAH!!!

Let me be clear: I WANTED that experience. The problem is, Little Johnnie wanted to be a superstar *NBA* player immediately! They didn't want to the grind or the building and developing of their player. They wanted to be Kobe Bryant, young phenom playing against the stars of the NBA.

Again, I'm with you! I wanted to EARN my stardom. I wanted the challenge of getting there and getting better and creating my story as I rise to hopeful super-stardom. But the ****** fan, outnumbering us by a ****load, wanted something else.

So what am I saying - even if it was done perfectly, people would have still bitched for a change. Sorry. That's what I believe.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #374
Rookie

OVR: 0

Watched bits and pieces, but didn't see anyone run a single play (????) and didn't get to see how they have set up play calling this year. Is that in there and I just missed it, or somewhere else to see?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #375
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
It's a valid theory, but do you guys REALLY believe the D-League theme was removed from the MyCareer mode because it wasn't done well or authentic.

No offense but: HAH!!!

Let me be clear: I WANTED that experience. The problem is, Little Johnnie wanted to be a superstar *NBA* player immediately! They didn't want to the grind or the building and developing of their player. They wanted to be Kobe Bryant, young phenom playing against the stars of the NBA.

Again, I'm with you! I wanted to EARN my stardom. I wanted the challenge of getting there and getting better and creating my story as I rise to hopeful super-stardom. But the ****** fan, outnumbering us by a ****load, wanted something else.

So what am I saying - even if it was done perfectly, people would have still bitched for a change. Sorry. That's what I believe.
My response to Rashidi was actually a counter to his assertion that the removal of D-League was due to NBA 2K not being able to justify its licensing because there was not an authentic experience. I was saying if generic players were the only issue, it seems they would have been able to come up with a solution to that over the course of five years (such as creating the real players and applying them to their respective D-League team).

Regardless of whether someone wishes for an immediate rise to stardom in MyPlayer mode, I still believe the D-League has a place in NBA 2K. If nothing else, it would serve as a valuable, realistic, and worthy instrument in both MyGM and MyLeague, if implemented correctly. Teams are increasingly moving toward running their D-League affiliate as a piece of their own franchise and many teams would offer unique playstyles and experiences (ex: the high tempo Rio Grande Valley Vipers).

Still, the primary issue here is why certain realistic aspects of the game are removed. We do not have much to go off of, though the quote earlier in this thread from a 2K employee that was along the lines of, "You know how many people skip halftime shows? A lot a lot" would seem to suggest that analytics may plays an important role in decisions made. From there, I think it's natural to wonder if modes being removed are not played because people don't care, or if they're not played because the modes themselves have crucial (and perhaps very correctable) issues (ex: the no-edit D-League, the Guitar Hero slam dunk, unchanged halftime report with little depth).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #376
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
So when do the player intros take place? Did they skip? I watched with the audio off.
They would be before the game, just like when we see the pregame preparations of the players in the past.
They have also said that player introductions don't happen every game.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »