Home

NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #281
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Wow, that's much deeper than I expected, just awesome. Is this the case with all CPU controlled teams? What I mean is in fantasy draft seasons or assciation with trades, free agents, drafted players, new coaches and so on...the AI actually has an option to switch freelance sets based on the players on the court? Even if it's just alternating between 3-2 and 4-1, this is such a huge difference compared to previous years.

[/i]Does this apply to CPU controlled defenders as well? In 2k14, they could imitate everything the offensive player does, resulting in the drive spamming lost of people didn't like that much. T
In general the answer to the above is YES. But you know that moment when your playing the AI and they seem to recover faster than you could in that exact same situation That will still happen. LOL

So it is def purposefully better. Like you can break down the AI off the bounce even on Superstar level.

But I personally still feel like the AI even though it doesn't match you move for move, is still better able to recover than a user in the same situation.

When going back to 14 it is immediately clear that dude was reading your stick inputs LOL. This year that is not the case afaik but he still may be better than we are is what I am trying to say.

I hope you get what I am saying there.

As an example in that intro video that move rose did was me vs the AI.

You can see the distance I was at, I froze him for a second with that hesi-chop step then got into his space before he could react. That would have been a 2 player bump ani in last years game and that was on superstar sim.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #282
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great video, excited about the new freelance offense!

Nit pick question - Is Kyler Korver's sig shot in your video not accurate, or am I not seeing it right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuEO_yEmzU#t=20

20 seconds in..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #283

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Czar,

That Loop play is so sick where Parker ran you around multiple screens was that the CPU choosing an option or branch based off how you was playing him?

I noticed they ran another loop play you showed. So my question is there multiple loop plays or one play with multiple branching options? It looks like the same play. That action is pretty sick. They way they had you scrambling man it looked like The Heat in the finals lol basically realistic
I'm going to keep it 100 I almost took that out the video. I personally didn't like how bad they fooled me. That wasn't me saying let me show they guys how smart the AI is. I was honestly trying to get that dam pass.

I just record me playing the game and look for what the AI was able to do against me.

There are multiple loop plays depending on the set (player alignment) we also have branches that only kick off if the user attempts to deny certain options.

When you find yourself in a set where we have excellent coverage as far as AI solutions for user tactics it definitely get's interesting.

For those that pay attention to that kind of stuff I have several "easter eggs" hidden for the AI in all sorts of sets.

That is just offset by the fact that the game is HUGE and I couldn't cover every thing every where with that kind of depth.

The challenge is with as many plays and set's as we have to get full coverage everywhere.

So if we only shipped 20 plays for each time those 20 would be ROBUST. LOL
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #284
Banned

Dunk77's Arena

OVR: 0

Was controller input lag addressed at all? Is it more responsive than 2k14?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #285
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
No. If they are out of position my directive to them is GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! I like your suggestion of a fallback plan though. Hey if your out of position and he run's by you just set a screen. I wonder though if others would feel like that is bad spacing if you get what I am asking.

Should his first decision be to get back where he should be or deal with the situation as it stands ?
I like that philosophy lol. Ideally, they will do what they can to stay out of the way. But, if they do happen to be out of position and I run by, just having them try to impede the defender would be nice.

Side note: I said it before, but I love how much feedback you're giving us on what to expect this year, and what couldn't be done in one cycle. Even with what you said couldn't be done this year, it sounds like the game will be a major improvement over last year, and is laying a strong foundation to start next year's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #286

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs

Hey Czar in regards to play execution, stability etc.... at about the 9min mark of this vid, the CPU Lebron Iso/Post Up is really well done. From the triple threat, to where he caught the ball -mid post area- to how cpu teammates cleared out, to let him work.

Well done all around, looks very realistic.

Anyways, I was hoping some of the High post plays were cleaned up some for this year.
Great eye there. I believe that is spread 15 high post play. I know you guys were not happy with the high post game last year. So yes, that was a focus for us for High Post, Low Post, and Isolation plays.

Not only did we want to give you the space but also the time to put a little work in. After all you ran that play for a reason. Also wanted to allow you time to see where the dam double would come from.

2 things with this. To allow the AI more time I don't branch out of these immediately as we used to. I allow the AI to try the pass then we tell him to try and post his man to create a better passing angle. But this takes time while the AI evaluates this pass opportunity.

Like you see in the league sometimes this action is not immediate. I was concerned with those who feel plays take too long to develop concerning high post entry but felt like the payoff was worth it.

Especially when you see how long it can take real teams to make that pass when it is being contested.

The downside is if you call a high-post play or Iso and enter the ball then immediately pass it back out but don't shoot it. Your team mates are still committed to it until it times out. The pass icon will still be over that target because I didn't want that breaking down on you the first sign of pressure.

Also with the passing updates that Brother Bean put in the AI makes passes into the high post now that it wouldn't even attempt before it can just take him a few seconds to find the lane.

Then after the catch I wanted them work you a little bit so they don't always go immediately. To me it seemed more natural but I understand those who want to AI to immediately attack so that it doesn't look "lost" or undecided.

Good eye and I hope the benefits of that outweigh the suspected issues for most of you who decide to pick it up.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #287
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
In general the answer to the above is YES. But you know that moment when your playing the AI and they seem to recover faster than you could in that exact same situation That will still happen. LOL

So it is def purposefully better. Like you can break down the AI off the bounce even on Superstar level.

But I personally still feel like the AI even though it doesn't match you move for move, is still better able to recover than a user in the same situation.

When going back to 14 it is immediately clear that dude was reading your stick inputs LOL. This year that is not the case afaik but he still may be better than we are is what I am trying to say.

I hope you get what I am saying there.

As an example in that intro video that move rose did was me vs the AI.

You can see the distance I was at, I froze him for a second with that hesi-chop step then got into his space before he could react. That would have been a 2 player bump ani in last years game and that was on superstar sim.
I've mentioned that a ton in the threads this year, about the CPU reacting to button inputs versus player movements. So glad to hear you guys addressed it. Just from this one thread, it feels like you guys were inside my head with the issues I wanted addressed from last year. Why didn't they let you talk earlier? lol.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #288

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman38134
Anyone know if the AI will be using this Freelance system in MyCareer? I hope so, cause it would seriously enhance playing against the computer in that mode. And if our OWN team actually runs it...
I have seen this question and they really should be unless someone did something I am not currently aware of. I can't verify since I would need to end up on the spurs to see and I just don't have the time to get that done right now.

I could see the argument being made that it is easier for users in my-career to just use the 3-2 freelance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »