Home

NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #257
MVP

dpower15's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar

I hope everyone realizes that regardless of how smooth this is in year one (which it seems to be pretty dang smooth from the video and the descriptions we are getting) that the biggest thing is this is a HUGE step in the right direction for future games. This added with all the features they have worked on and brought back really do show that 2K listens to its customers, and the OS community in particular.

As a former collegiate player myself, it's nice to see that they have a guy like Czar around who really seems to understand the game on a deeper level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #258
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
This makes me very happy. It always drove me nuts how quickly the defense could cover ground, so hearing that closeout speeds and recovery times are toned down are huge for me.
Yep, I think that was probably apart of the goal there and while it has an affect on more than one area it seems, this is a big one, so the movement must feel different again this year.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #259
Pro

OVR: 4

You telling me im gonna get some real deal triangle and not have to rig it with random plays?

You trying to COMPLETELY ruin my social life? You pull this off and I'm gonna be

No more of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSABOx
With the return of the triangle offense in New York and Golden State, I felt inspired to put together a few video clips of how to run the triangle offense in 2K14. Unfortunately, there isn't an actual play that will always run the play in its true form. That said, with these three plays you can still get the most of the key options.

First, I'd like to link you to a video recently put together to give you an idea on how the offense works.

We can get most plays to work the same, except the reverse post play (pass to weak side entry) because there isn't a play that creates the movement in applicable time.

96 Bulls 12 Swing Post
This is the base of the offense. The key to calling this play is it gives you the right cuts after making pass to the center. Also let's you run 3 of the options

Option 1 - entry to post IMMEDIATELY CALL QUICK ISO
1)hit the Wing cutting to basket
2)hit the baseline cutting to basket
3)take defender one on one with post player

Option 2 - pass to corner
1)shoot if wide open
2)call pick and roll
3)call pick and pop

Option 3 - pass to top
1)call pick and roll
2)call pick and pop
3)feed the ISO player and take defender one on one

WIDE FIST OUT 24

This play allows me to get the two man game going while also generating the double screen on the strong side. Let the player you clear out first before you make the pass to the pinch post.

Options
1)pick and pop with pinch post player
2)shoot with cutter if open
3)pass to player coming off double screen
4)take defender one on one from pinch post

1-4 DUECE TREY

Finally I call this play when I'm having a hard time making passes because of physical defense. It allows me to generate the same options as the first two plays. This play seems to generate the best post position for my big man to go to work. Also the triangle is generated on both sides because the weak side guard will fill either corner randomly.

KEYS TO THE PLAY IS TO RUN RIGHT TO THE WING WITH YOUR PG. NEVER MAKE THE PASS TO THE POWER FORWARD.

IF YOU PASS TO THE POST PLAYER ON YHE SIDE OF THE TRIANGLE ALWAYS CALL QUICK ISO TO GENERATE CUTS

options
1)pass to player coming off screen, feed post
2)pass to player coming off screen, shoot if open
3)pass to player coming off scren, pick and roll/pop with big man
4)pass to player in the corner, shoot if open
5)pass to player in the corner, run pick and roll/pop
6)pass to strong side post player, hit cutters
7)pass to strong side post, ISO defender

Hope you enjoyed it!
Old 09-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #260
Rookie

Kese86's Arena

OVR: 0
This was a great video as usual from Da Czar, but can we see more of the User running offense against the CPU? The Spurs were CPU controlled in this video so of course it ran seamlessly, but I want to see how User controlled offense runs. Does the CPU still slip through every screen, will our A.I. teammates still not cut backdoor when being denied, and do players slide into open spots faster than in the past? Just a few things that come to mind. Thanks for the progress that has been shown so far though.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #261
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
There are teams who's freelance will switch between 3-2 and 4-1 in depending on personnel.

So the freelance can be either 3-2, 4-1, or it can be set to default which automatically switches depending on if the 4 man is a perimeter threat or not.

The Warriors are set to default.
Wow, that's much deeper than I expected, just awesome. Is this the case with all CPU controlled teams? What I mean is in fantasy draft seasons or assciation with trades, free agents, drafted players, new coaches and so on...the AI actually has an option to switch freelance sets based on the players on the court? Even if it's just alternating between 3-2 and 4-1, this is such a huge difference compared to previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
After years of being able to exactly mirror the defense's movement even when your face guarding them. It will be an adjustment to have to step back and concede a possible jumper because it is too difficult to keep some guys in front when face guarding.

For instance you now have to decide when guarding off ball and your the help defender. Do I attack the penetrator and lower his shot % or do I stay home to protect the rebound in case he misses?

Does this apply to CPU controlled defenders as well? In 2k14, they could imitate everything the offensive player does, resulting in the drive spamming lost of people didn't like that much. The best solution was to reduce on ball d/def awareness sliders drastically, sacrificing rating differences for more dynamic offense. But would be cool if we don't need to do big slider changes.
The lack of CPU midrange game off the dribble was tied into this as well. There was simply no space for anything, most visible if you let the CPU guard the ball handler. Outside of the ankle breaker stumbling animation, the CPU couldn't create any space because the defender imitated every movement, so most of the time they just kind of slow danced into the paint together, lol. Judging from your video, there is more space for midrange shots, so the tendencies for pull up/stepback/etc. finally really show in game?

Oh and thanks for all the answers, it's fantastic to have devs talk that open and honest about the things their product can and more importantly can't do. Feels like a complete turnaround from previous years, impressive stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #262
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
This changes 10 man team up so much
If this works as promised, you're going to see a much better flow in Team Up games. No more defenders just aimlessly running around, pressing square, and seemingly being in three places at once.

Also, if there's a real risk of a blow-by off the bounce, and defenders have to give quicker guys a cushion, that brings the pull up jumper into the mix more than ever before.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #263
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

Loving all of this...I'm needing basketball so bad right now. This game, College, Pro, all of it. Can't wait to dive into this game and see how much it's changed.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #264
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Czar,

That Loop play is so sick where Parker ran you around multiple screens was that the CPU choosing an option or branch based off how you was playing him?

I noticed they ran another loop play you showed. So my question is there multiple loop plays or one play with multiple branching options? It looks like the same play. That action is pretty sick. They way they had you scrambling man it looked like The Heat in the finals lol basically realistic

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »