Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #257
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_foxx
Ok so if i understand this properly. A certain player has a meter with a central release point that is considerd perfect.The players atrributes, type of shot, and ammount of defensive presense effect the timing windows of said shot, but there is still a central release? (Maybe a small window).Seems based on this, guys with poor shot selection can still master thier perfect release timing? I would have hoped this central release would be staggerd to the left or right based on what direction your heading, and or what side the defender is on/closing out contesting from.Disrupting the hold your shot for .82 seconds mastery and adding a more cognitive mastery. (A mid range kobe running fading leaner has a differnt time ing stagger going left or right) then having to ajust that for where the defener is. I believe skill Should be a Big part of the game but it shouldnt overide intelligence and bball iq.If i want to master every type of shot window with a great scorer taking into account the defense or lack there of i SHOULD be able to shoot a high fg% (64ish is highh) lets face it luck is factor in real nba shooting too (however small) but widen the gap in game and add a level of awareness even for shooting. This rant was bassed off my optimism for the new meter mixxed with my frustration of playing park and vs. Online in 14' especially park guys shooting 85% from 3 contested or not
Just get and take open shots from spots on the floor your player shoots a high % and had good enough ratings to hit from. Meter measures success chance only

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #258
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Thats not how i understand it. The meter only effects how big or small your timing windows. I always take smart shots, im just worried about losing to the guys who are timing masters' and take ******** shots
Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #259
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_foxx
Thats not how i understand it. The meter only effects how big or small your timing windows. I always take smart shots, im just worried about losing to the guys who are timing masters' and take ******** shots
ugh...I know these types....they don't even need a meter since they know the shot animation by heart. They basically know when to release visually and it's usually money....
Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #260
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

I watched a few descriptions of this. Here's how I understand it.

Last year, shot success probability was based first off your player's shot rating, then modified by other success factors related to the shot, such as if it was contested, degree of difficulty based on the type of shot, shot timing, etc.

So the baseline was set by the shooter's overall rating. In that scenario, if the dice roll was for a miss right from the beginning, the rest didn't matter, so even if you were taking an open uncontested 12 footer with your shooting guard whose mid range rating was 90, you could still miss more often than would happen in real life because the system wouod not recognize how easy the shot is once the initial dice roll was for a miss.

This year, the formula is reversed. The system first assesses how "easy" the shot is based on whether it's contested, the type of shot, etc. for the situation on the floor. Based on that, it will set how wide the timing is for the shot success window. So easy shots have a wider window, harder shots have a smaller one. Then the calculations about player attributes and the nature of shot difficulty kick in. The results should be more realistic.

So this new system should supposedly cut down on the freakish shots that should never be attempted, let alone made, going down for points, because the success probability will be calculated at the front end based on the shot situation on the floor, before player ratings kick in. And on the flip side, it should make it more common to make those wide open easy shots at a more reliable rate that player make when they are free and clear and in reasonably close range.

It's all in the implementation, but that's how I understand it.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #261
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I watched a few descriptions of this. Here's how I understand

This year, the formula is reversed. The system first assesses how "easy" the shot is based on whether it's contested, the type of shot, etc. for the situation on the floor. Based on that, it will set how wide the timing is for the shot success window. So easy shots have a wider window, harder shots have a smaller one. Then the calculations about player attributes and the nature of shot difficulty kick in. The results should be more realistic

It's all in the implementation, but that's how I understand it.
this cant be 100 percent accurate. Beluba himself posted that ' shoot the same 3 with perkens and curry, currys windo would be much larger....meaning the attribues are apart of the equation for determing windo size. Dont get me wrong i think this system will be much better for the game. Just dont think it will be the perfect fix were hoping for. If i cant have perfection id be content with progress =)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #262
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Djm
Shot fatigue needs to be more evident on contested shots than wide open shots
This would be a great adjustment. And makes more sense then "I've been shooting open shots, but I am le tired."
Old 10-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #263
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm still not really understanding this shot meter. Online I've hit many shots on early and late releases. And also see my opponents hit some ridiculously shots with good defense on them.

To me I get the idea that this meter doesn't matter at all due to the types of shots that go on. Seems more random than SKILL to me.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #264
MVP

OVR: 3

its said to be more forgiving online....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »