Home

NBA 2K15 MyCAREER Mentors Trailer

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 MyCAREER Mentors Trailer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #65
Banned

RogerBlack's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA 2K15 MyCAREER Mentors Trailer

This voice of this 2nd guy is painfully Awful. Smh.

As a (college educated) black male... it would be nice to have just ONE 'normal' sounding voice actor to choose from, who can speak properly (minus all the slang).

Just One.

Whether he sounds like a young Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan... doesn't matter to me.

As long as he sounds like he actually 'attended' a bit of college.

The real-life pro ballers sound better than the MyPlayer voice actors, imo.

Meanwhile this new guy 'struggle reads' all his lines and sounds like he grew up in the 'projects' & never passed high school-level English. Smh.

Dwayne Wade, Tim Duncan, Lebron James, or the majority of superstars in the NBA never sound like this in any interviews I've ever seen. Smh.

The whole concept is cool.. But the 'execution' needs ALOT of improvement.

Next year in 2k16, 2k could keep these stereotypes... But they should add some choices who sound like they have actually READ a few books and SMASHED their SATs.

Plus add 1 or 2 voice actors who have 'foreign' accents, like Tony Parker, or Manu Ginobli, or Detlev Shrempf, or Danilo Galinari, or whatever.

Give the gamers more & better 'options' to choose from.

Not everyone wants to sound like they just left 'the block' and jumped into the NBA. Some of us create players who finish 4 years of college before turning pro.

Just saying.

Last edited by RogerBlack; 09-24-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NBA 2K15 MyCAREER Mentors Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostf4cekhila1234
They want some technology can't even bring them yet or 2k has to spend a helluva allot more money to get to please 10 ppl on this board

" omg he doesnt sound or represent me like how i would"

what game does the main character sound like you. what game can you make the character sound and respond like you? lets be real now this is a basketball game all this other stuff is "extra" not mandatory

these guys here want mass effect 1-3 GTA 5 AND NBA2K15 wrapped into one game smh
Sad thing is, 2K will try to give all this to them, and they just will find something else to complain about lol "My lip movement isn't in sync, this takes away from my immersion" lol
Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #67
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

I like it. This'll be nice when I have to take someone's job as the #1 option. The voice acting director needs to get better performances out of these guys, but I'm guessing there isn't a whole lot of time after setting things up. I hope these interactions pay off in chemistry and player movement.

In these clips the new voice actor sounds like a southern/urban white kid to me.

Last edited by Bornindamecca; 09-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #68
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBlack
This voice of this 2nd guy is painfully Awful. Smh.

As a (college educated) black male... it would be nice to have just ONE 'normal' sounding voice actor to choose from, who can speak properly (minus all the slang).

Just One.

Whether he sounds like a young Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan... doesn't matter to me.

As long as he sounds like he actually 'attended' a bit of college.

Meanwhile this new guy 'struggle reads' all his lines and sounds like he grew up in the 'projects' & never passed high school-level English. Smh.

Dwayne Wade, Tim Duncan, Lebron James, or the majority of superstars in the NBA never sound like this in any interviews I've ever seen. Smh.

The whole concept is cool.. But the 'execution' needs ALOT of improvement.

Next year in 2k16, 2k could keep these stereotypes... But they should add some choices who sound like they have actually READ a few books and SMASHED their SATs.

Plus add 1 or 2 voice actors who have 'foreign' accents, like Tony Parker, or Manu Ginobli, or Detlev Shrempf, or Danilo Galinari, or whatever.

Give the gamers more 'options'.

Not everyone wants to sound like they just left 'the block' and got into the NBA. Some of us create players who finish 4 years of college before turning pro.

Just saying.
okay let's not go overboard lol. slang does not equal stupid. I'm college educated and use slang like this all the time. I agree more options is always better and they should put more voices in, but I gotta defend the default lingo (but definitely not the delivery or voice acting) as common among NBA players
Old 09-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
I like the concept, somewhat.

My main gripe is the voice for MyCareer.

Honestly, I may be alone on this, but it's a bit stereotypical for the voice to be of a certain background. I understand that the NBA is predominantly African-American. But why are no other races represented in this universal game?

I'd like to have the option to choose a voice as opposed to being given the voice of what 2K assumes all basketball players sound like. (Cause that's indirectly what's being said, more or less)
I think in the other video from Chris Smoove he said you will be able to choose a different voice. I hope there are other options but you are correct about the voice.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 4

Gotta laugh at people wanting the player to sound smarter.

Sure, Tim Duncan doesn't, but 90% of NBA players sound exactly like this guy.. especially the younger greener types.. just go to the tapes for proof.

That's the problem with these 'it's me in the game' modes.. people get way too butthurt about not thinking the person represents them personally. Nobody ever complains about that without any other game where you play a character.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #71
MVP

Imagine they did have choices for the voices. What would the options be?

"
1. White guy
2. Black guy
3. Asian guy
4. Indian guy
5. "Am I White or Black?" guy
"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
Gotta laugh at people wanting the player to sound smarter.

Sure, Tim Duncan doesn't, but 90% of NBA players sound exactly like this guy.. especially the younger greener types.. just go to the tapes for proof.

That's the problem with these 'it's me in the game' modes.. people get way too butthurt about not thinking the person represents them personally. Nobody ever complains about that without any other game where you play a character.
It's surely a tricky issue. If 2K were to introduce a more standard form of English, it'd probably hit another large portion of the masses but it clearly wouldn't cover everyone. Someone mentioned foreign accents, and that'd likely be another complaint down the line. Like I said, it's just kind of a tough spot.

That said, I think 2K could help by continuing to provide personality options and whatnot. The original 2K voice introduced for MyPlayer didn't sound like me, but having the choice to say things most closely associated to what I might say in real life, helped bridge that gap. There wasn't a ton my MyPlayer said that made me cringe.

However, as the years have gone on, particularly with the introduction of the linear storyline, the times where a player can make decisions and choose his personality to an extent have been drowned out by forced cutscenes where one must yell at his agent and he must run over to meet and greet with Pharrell before a game. I think it's that mix of a lack of personality choice with the fact that my likeness is forced to say, "Ey Pharrell, what up, mein? Eyy I really dig yo stuff. Much love n' respek", that sort of perpetuates the issue many have developed with this aspect of the mode.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-24-2014 at 04:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »