Home

NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #345
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
And where did you read it? Link? Post?

There was obviously something off in the latest editions court wise. No one can deny that. Had to do with spacing, court size and the players.
It definitely feels like the players are too big for the court. But I don't necessarily think it's the size of either. I think it has to do more with how much ground a player can cover in a short amount of time, like BoilerBuzz said. The biggest issue is that a player can go from a standstill to max speed almost instantly, and change directions on a dime. They just need to work on the weight and momentum for every animation, and have true footplanting. Once they have that, we should see more realistic starting, stopping, and subtle changes in direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #346
Rookie

JBulls's Arena

OVR: 2

What I was talking about wasn't actually player to court size ratio but rather the court itself.

I took a 2K14 court file into blender and the 3D lines are not accurate. Of course, those models could be just a visual representation and the invisible boundaries may actually be exactly 94:50 but it seems like some things are approximated. For the most part though, it's inconsequential. For example part of the rim model, backboard and backstop are obviously guesswork, I'd just hoped it was accurate where it mattered (rim height, diameter, etc). There are also some lines on the court that are not regulation such as the restricted area and the 4 lines along the sideline (don't know what they're called).

These things are the reason why I said what I said. Since you said the devs confirmed it's all good, I'll take their word for it. I just never had an answer either way until now.

Last edited by JBulls; 09-16-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #347
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I really wish they would change how the difficulty levels work. A bad shot is a bad shot, and should be treated as such on any level. Going from Pro to Superstar shouldn't increase/decrease any attributes, only the CPU intelligence. That goes for all games, not just 2k.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #348
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
What I was talking about wasn't actually player to court size ratio but rather the court itself.

I took a 2K14 court file into blender and the 3D lines are not accurate. Of course, those models could be just a visual representation and the invisible boundaries may actually be exactly 94:50 but it seems like some things are approximated. For the most part though, it's inconsequential. For example part of the rim model, backboard and backstop are obviously guesswork, I'd just hoped it was accurate where it mattered (rim height, diameter, etc). There are also some lines on the court that are not regulation such as the restricted area and the 4 lines along the sideline (don't know what they're called).

These things are the reason why I said what I said. Since you said the devs confirmed it's all good, I'll take their word for it. I just never had an answer either way until now.
Interesting. Could you post some screens and numbers from Blender?

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #349
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
It definitely feels like the players are too big for the court. But I don't necessarily think it's the size of either. I think it has to do more with how much ground a player can cover in a short amount of time, like BoilerBuzz said. The biggest issue is that a player can go from a standstill to max speed almost instantly, and change directions on a dime. They just need to work on the weight and momentum for every animation, and have true footplanting. Once they have that, we should see more realistic starting, stopping, and subtle changes in direction.
EXACTLY. And the reason I think that just hasn't been shoehorned in is because there is a balance of REALLY realistic movement and feel for the user. I'm sure that's not an easy balancing act. It'll get there some day, I'm sure.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #350
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls

Hey man. I would love to see this data if you have the time and inclination to provide them. Just from a curiosity standpoint.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #351
Rookie

JBulls's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Hey man. I would love to see this data if you have the time and inclination to provide them. Just from a curiosity standpoint.
I don't have Blender, or 2K or any of the other software required installed anymore (this was like 8 months ago when I researched it) but you can probably see some of what I'm talking about in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIrIR1OoVM#t=555

There you can clearly see the restricted area not being extended up to the backboard like it should be and the other lines I mentioned being non-regulation. You can also see the actual 3D lines are a lot thicker than the NBA's regulation 2 inches, however this translates on to the court better because they use a raster image that combines with the 3D model to make up the boundaries. Very strange way of getting it done, imo.

Measuring the edges to get the ratio was a huge chore as I recall, I can't quite remember what the exact ratio was though :/, I will make sure to get back to you with numbers if courts can be edited in 2K15 'cause I wanna start fixing them again :P.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #352
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Nice find man. I wonder if anyone that has modded the stadiums wouldn't mind chiming in on the dimensions of the court. Note, this is tangent to the player to court ratios, but it's still interesting to get a peek inside on the building of the game. I'm just the curious type!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »