Home

NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #113
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Im interested in what people were expecting. It looks like a 2k game. It looks like an improved 2k14 which is what everyone shouldve been expecting.

What game offers SIGNIFICANT gameplay changes year to year? Madden looks like an improved Madden 25 with new presentation elements. Same with FIFA. Same with the Show. Same with Live.

Why do people expect to be blown away every year when no sports video game ever do that?
The short, simple, obvious answer would be bigger improvements to gameplay in the second year of a new generation. On the surface 2k has everything you can ask for a basketball game: great graphics, good animations, controls that allow you to perform nearly any move desire (specific cross overs, spin moves, eurosteps, hopsteps, up and unders, reverse layups/dunks, lefty/righty layups, fade away, fall away, floaters, ball fakes, pump fakes, post fakes, shimmy moves, hook shots, and so on), solid presentation/commentating, game modes that cover the essentials and some (quick games, online games, franchise mode, online league/franchise mode, playoff mode, my player mode, practice/tutorial mode), playbooks and team/player specific plays, AND customization options (sliders, roster edits, playbook edits, etc).

HOWEVER, with all that said, it doesn't mean things can't and shouldn't be improved or added. Animations can always improve, controls could be more responsive, AI intelligence and awareness could use some work, improvements to presentation and commentating is always welcome, stadium atmospheres, etc. I love 2K and believe they release a solid game every year but I don't want them to get to a point where they think "we have a great game already let's play it safe instead of really trying to take the series, basketball games, and sports games to the next level".

If you look at 2k6-2k9 for ps3/360 each one of those games was different. They were still 2k basketball but graphics changed each year, animations changed, gameplay was a bit different each year. It might not be reasonable to expect the same amount of change this generation but change should be expected to some extent. To me 2k is the Spurs of basketball games. Consistent every year with some truly great, championship worthy seasons here and there but at some point the formula is going to have to change and they won't be able to get away with modifying the same team or game engine.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #114
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder

I think it looks great ! It's 2k basketball. I love the gameplay, I'll love it again.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #115
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
If you look at 2k6-2k9 for ps3/360 each one of those games was different. They were still 2k basketball but graphics changed each year, animations changed, gameplay was a bit different each year. It might not be reasonable to expect the same amount of change this generation but change should be expected to some extent. To me 2k is the Spurs of basketball games. Consistent every year with some truly great, championship worthy seasons here and there but at some point the formula is going to have to change and they won't be able to get away with modifying the same team or game engine.
Graphically there's not much more they can do. They said they've added animations, if you look close at these gameplay vids you can see a bunch.

I think the game's engine is solid, they just need to reach the same level of refinement they had in 2K14 for 360/PS3. I feel like next gen was a little slow on the responsiveness and it only got worse when you went online.

If they focus on refining the gameplay, adding modes/adding to the modes we already have, and having stable servers 2K never has to worry about competition.

I think we're all so spoiled by 2K that we expect too much when we have a very good game in front of us.

...And no I'm no fanboy, I can point out a ton of issues but I also understand the work that's put into these games year in year out lol.

-Allen Iverson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #116
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

still doesn't seem like there's much of a penalty for dribbling into your own teammates (can't completely confirm that from this video, but there was a moment where it looked like Kyrie backed the ball right into a teammate at 1:10, but he didn't lose the ball...and another time at 1:42 Kyrie dribbled right into Varejao but didn't lose the ball)....i don't really expect 2k to ever truly fix this, as it would make it too hard for casuals to move around the court without constantly losing the ball off of other players' feet, legs and arms...unfortunately the average gamer doesn't have the awareness to actually pay attention to where they're dribbling, so people are allowed to just recklessly dribble into teammates with no consequences

Last edited by blues rocker; 09-11-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #117
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween
I'm honestly not too excited about that.

Game 'feels' and basically looks the same since forever. They never work on their weaknesses they only build up on the strong parts. I'm beginning to think they should completely rework the game from ground up gameplay wise, starting with actual footplanting.

To see those players constantly hovering all over the place just doesn't quite do it for me anymore. Live 15 has better footplanting imo and I think it really adds to both gameplay and realism. Unfortunately 2k doesn't seem to share my view on priorities.
The problem with working the game from the ground up is that in the process they will be hurting the overall product for a few years. This is exactly what Live attempted and they still haven't recovered. 2k basketball is far from broken but with the game engine they are using they may never be able to take the game and genre to new heights. Their options are to either continue improving the formula, or start from scratch so that in a few years the game will reach a level that was previously not possibld due to the game engine.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #118
Rookie

Seanzie's Arena

OVR: 2

Game looks better than last year, which is saying something. The offensive animations look smoother to me.

I love how people see a 4 and a half minute video and say there are no new gameplay improvements. Really people?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #119
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesko
J
guessing cause they expecting those $60.
seriously though with the "power" of the new systems, I'd expect more gameplay changes rather than just graphical ones as there should be. Just saying cause player movement now should not be like older versions of 2k. Why would a player do a two handed over head pass to his teammate right in front of his face. The way they move is like they don't know that they're in a game. Those extra animations could be used to really bring the players to life and make use of this whole "living worlds" thing. If you can mimic the crowd leaving early due to the score then I'm sure they can give the players some sort of awareness on the court.

you do realize that both the x1 and ps4 are no more powerful than a mid-range gaming pc. If you expect the graphical leaps from the 7th to 8th gen to match the leap we got from the ps1 to the ps2, then you're gonna be highly disappointed.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #120
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, or start a Live vs 2k war...but, after watching videos of Live, this 2k short clip is a breathe of fresh air!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »