Home

NBA Live 15 Twitter Chat with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, No Sliders Confirmed

This is a discussion on NBA Live 15 Twitter Chat with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, No Sliders Confirmed within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #113
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: NBA Live 15 Twitter Chat with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, No Sliders Confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Slides would never take away from a perfect out of the box experience.
I too wish I didn't have to adjust sliders but you should be able to if you wanted to.

I think this is the fundamental difference on my stance from others. I see sliders as a crutch that developers use to give me an incomplete game, and they get away with it under the disguise of customization. There's no reason to have such statistical anomalies out the box on a game that focuses on being a SIM and that's well tuned.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #114
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: NBA Live 15 Twitter Chat with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, No Sliders Confirm

This "You cant adjust sliders in the NBA" logic is...ugh.

Let's remove the ability to pause the game in real time while we're at it too, since you can't do that in the NBA either.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #115
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I think this is the fundamental difference on my stance from others. I see sliders as a crutch that developers use to give me an incomplete game, and they get away with it under the disguise of customization. There's no reason to have such statistical anomalies out the box on a game that focuses on being a SIM and that's well tuned.
What about unexpected changes in the real life league? Let's say we see a dramatic decrease in the number of fouls called per game once the season starts, for whatever reason. But the game has already shipped in its "NBA experience" settings, which were based on last year's fouls. Sliders can help to lower the number of fouls to be more in line with what we see in the real game, in spite of the developers getting it right initially, based on the previous year.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but I'm just trying to prove the point. Customization options is not meant to be a crutch for the devs, but rather to enhance the experience for the user.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #116
MVP

EAGLESFAN10's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Trying to fix graphics and gameplay which are the past fails of the series. Its all about sales and sliders aren't what the masses care about when they watch streams and YouTube videos
I thought sliders can help gameplay LMFAO or am I missing something

BRON IS THE GOAT!!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #117
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Again I am all for customization if it didn't feel like it comes at the expense of the best possible simulation game I could get. IMO it feels like a choice between SIM and sliders.

If I buy Madden I shouldn't have to adjust slider to prevent the CPU QB from completing 90% of his passes it just not realistic and shouldn't be that way out of the box. That IMO is an obvious game flaw that shouldn't be there if the goal is to be a simulation of NFL football. Same with basketball. Again if every year a develop team can have the core game play represent SIM basketball and can add slider for those that prefer things different cool. However adjusting sliders should not be the first thing I have to do right after I put the disc into/download the game just to get a decent SIM experience. For me the reason I'm not getting the most SIM experience possible every year and out of the box is that developers see sliders as a short cut packaged as giving players customization.
This isn't some stupid Mascots Game Mode we're talking about. This is something to cater the game to each user if they deem it necessary.

This dev crew/management team hasn't gotten the game right in the past 5 years so skip all the "sim" talk.

If MLB The Show is the benchmark for sports gaming and they have sliders...guess what? The certified worst next gen game released last year should have sliders.

End of story.

If they're going to mask not having sliders by saying how much data they pump into the game from Synergy...well Synergy has zero effect on the flow of a game. Synergy has zero effect on whether the game moves at light speed or crawls like molasses. Synergy has zero effect on teams crashing boards, how frequently a guy gets injured, who gets tired, if there's too many or not enough fouls, etc, etc, etc.

You don't care about sliders...fine. Go ahead and buy the game or plug in your Atari.

But sit this one out man. We get your point already.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #118
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This "You cant adjust sliders in the NBA" logic is...ugh.

Let's remove the ability to pause the game in real time while we're at it too, since you can't do that in the NBA either.
Good idea. I'll pass this along to the dev team.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #119
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Oh man...if this were to actually happen I'm betting some people here will "applaud EA's decision"...this place has gone loopy
Old 09-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #120
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
This isn't some stupid Mascots Game Mode we're talking about. This is something to cater the game to each user if they deem it necessary.

This dev crew/management team hasn't gotten the game right in the past 5 years so skip all the "sim" talk.

If MLB The Show is the benchmark for sports gaming and they have sliders...guess what? The certified worst next gen game released last year should have sliders.

End of story.

If they're going to mask not having sliders by saying how much data they pump into the game from Synergy...well Synergy has zero effect on the flow of a game. Synergy has zero effect on whether the game moves at light speed or crawls like molasses. Synergy has zero effect on teams crashing boards, how frequently a guy gets injured, who gets tired, if there's too many or not enough fouls, etc, etc, etc.

You don't care about sliders...fine. Go ahead and buy the game or plug in your Atari.

But sit this one out man. We get your point already.

Saying you get my point isn't a solid reason for me to stop addressing people who are quoting my comments. It's the same as me saying I get why people want sliders therefore stop complaining why they aren't in.

As far as the show I don't like baseball and don't play the game. My point has never been that you can't have a great SIM with sliders. It's that when it comes to the two sports videogames I do play I haven't experienced one where I thought the games were as polished and gear towards being as SIM as possible and I believe that sliders are the reason why it's that way.

Again I'm not saying Live 14 knocked it out the park with synergy. I'm not saying they'll knock it out of the park this year. What I am saying is in theory synergy over sliders makes much more sense as it relates to making a SIM product. Of course if they fail miserably with implementing synergy and the game is poorly tuned I rather have sliders to correct with is broken to the best of my(or maybe someone else) abilities. This is the gamble Live 15 is taking. If they succeed it's a better representation of SIM IMO, if the fail they'll have to deal with the obvious backlash and it will come from me as much as anybody here. This has been my premise all along. Sliders for a SIM player means the developers has failed at producing a SIM experience.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-09-2014 at 04:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »