Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #233
Pro

OVR: 6
Icon2 Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
First of all, that build is very old code. Second, there's no bad shot on Pro Default settings.

Really, I understand the concern... but I guarantee everything will be fine in the final product. But I also wouldn't advise any veteran 2K gamer to play on Pro Default. A lot of realism goes out the window on default settings.
This concerns me a little, as I tend to play modes that do not have sliders available to them UNFORTUNATELY (MyCareer and Team Up), and we found pro sim to be the only option for even somewhat realistic play. even then the CPU can shoot 60% with the Jazz. Anything Superstar or higher and forget about it, the CPU becomes unstoppable and your AI teammates do not raise its game to match them and the shooting % becomes ridiculous. So I stay on pro sim and limit my own play to balance it out.

I would love it if raising the difficulty only made things harder for the user. It should not affect our AI teammates or the offensive shooting skills of the opponent AI. players shoot what they shoot, why should this change? just make them better defensively, more aware, play harder, more intense team defense, harder for the user, etc. but having role players lighting you up over and over can get tiresome. I envy OSers that play modes with sliders, because they can fix all of this and make 2k play a beautiful game of basketball...but my tastes unfortunately do not have that luxury. I just hope better balance and realistic AI shooting percentages can be maintained with difficulty settings this year...or maybe sliders are added to ALL modes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #234
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

I like that the animation & window were separated as explained.

As long as the circle is turn-offable, I'm cool.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #235
Rookie

OVR: 1

i hope they address cpu animation shots. they almost always hit their floaters. whether off the backboard or down the lane.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #236
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I like that the animation & window were separated as explained.

As long as the circle is turn-offable, I'm cool.
I think the shot animation is dependent on the " window". The shot release will matter more than ever now.
I am just sad 2k trying to make learning to shoot easier therefore foresaking the need for practice mode shooting

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #237
MVP

OVR: 1
NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
This is one of the most frustrating things, it feels like all CPU players at the line are between 80-90 percent when i play, no matter who's getting fouled.
Of all things this one needs a slider. And it would be easy to implement. I'm fine with them just fixing it to reflect correct ratings/percentages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
for every person that liked the trigger pressure FT shooting, there were another 10 that hated it. We actually experimented with an angry bird type FT shooting system a few years back and it was pretty fun.
I liked the classic double trigger FT shooting-- it seemed brilliant at the time-- as well as every other novel mechanic, no matter how ridiculous. Even the Dualshock motion freethrows.

If you had kinect controls and had me mime FTs, I would probably love that too. The current system is extremely utilitarian, but gets the job done, though I sometimes pine for a little more to it.

Hmm speaking of kinect, if you allowed us to affect opposing team freethrows at home by yelling and waving at the TV like a lunatic, I would probably be down too.

Last edited by Sundown; 08-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #238
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
I think the shot animation is dependent on the " window". The shot release will matter more than ever now.
I am just sad 2k trying to make learning to shoot easier therefore foresaking the need for practice mode shooting
I won't be using the meter. But I also don't practice shooting and would hate to have to.

Getting a feel for releasing the button at the top of a jump never seemed difficult to me. I probably wouldn't play if it did.

I'd prefer shot ratings & shot quality play more of a factor than button timing. Did they mention how much each factors in? I'm trusting Da Czar helped them get a good balance.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #239
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I won't be using the meter. But I also don't practice shooting and would hate to have to.

Getting a feel for releasing the button at the top of a jump never seemed difficult to me. I probably wouldn't play if it did.

I'd prefer shot ratings & shot quality play more of a factor than button timing. Did they mention how much each factors in? I'm trusting Da Czar helped them get a good balance.
Beluba didn't mention how much a factor it would be as far as shot release but he said it is more than 2K14. How do you know the hot spots, cold spots, if you don't practice? The bottom line is if you are good at learning perfect shot timing you will have no problem keeping everything off. The only difference I see in 2k15:

• Guys who jump high will not necessarily have a wider release window. I can already see this for Westbrook and Wiggins having smaller windows for certain areas of the court and they jump high on jumpers.
  • Places on the court you shoot better from you are not going to be penalized that much if you don't time the release perfectly, on the flip side is places you don't shoot well you have less margin for error on the release. The release arc meter changes dynamically from wide to narrow as you move from in your range or out of your range.
  • Having the meter on essentially is like having hot and cold spots on just in case you forget.

Last edited by stillfeelme; 08-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #240
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

Mike Wang said that timing is crucial on higher difficulties so in a sense it means you will have to know releases to be successful as it should be. I mean atleast some skill needs to be involved when playing to separate good from bad players

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »