Home

Madden NFL 15 Video - Simulated Season Stats

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Video - Simulated Season Stats within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #97
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 15 Video - Simulated Season Stats

I am now taking a "wait-and-see" approach with Madden'15.

I was ready to get the game early (next Friday) but these sim-stats are raising all kinds of red-flags about the inner-workings of this game.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #98
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

LOL @ two 4000 yard passers.

Oh dear, EA.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #99
Pro

T5063's Arena

OVR: 2

So out of two season (this video and the impressions thread) there was not a single qb with 30+ tds. What a joke.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
So out of two season (this video and the impressions thread) there was not a single qb with 30+ tds. What a joke.
Beyond disappointed. It looks like a lot of fun this year too but these stats are a disaster. May have to skip this year.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #101
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Passing numbers are obviously off. I was curious as to by how much.

The video scrolls through the top 19 QBs by yards. I wrote down their yards numbers, TD numbers, and INT numbers, and took the average. I then did the same for the 2013 NFL season. For the hell of it, I also looked at the 2004 NFL season, i.e. ten years ago.

2013 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 4065 yards, 27 TDs, 15 INTs
2004 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 3694 yards, 25 TDs, 14 INTs
this Madden sim (top 19 by yards): 3118 yards, 17 TDs, 13 INTs

So it's just low on everything it looks like, but yards and TDs are woefully off. There's 21% fewer yards, 35% fewer passing TDs, and 10% fewer INTs among league leaders compared to the average league leader in 2013, and 13% fewer yards, 31% fewer TDs, and 9% fewer INTs than 2004.

I went ahead and looked at rushing as well (this video scrolls through the top 12 RBs by yards):

2013 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 275 carries, 1236 yards, 9 TDs
2004 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 322 carries, 1412 yards, 10 TDs
this Madden sim (top 12 RBs by yards): 323 carries, 1335 yards, 8 TDs

Generally speaking, the rushing stats from this sim look in-line with the NFL, if the game was being played a decade ago. The CPU is running the ball with the top-rated backs about 20% more than real teams did in 2013. Also, there's a 400-carry back in this simulation; the NFL hasn't seen a RB with 400 carries since Larry Johnson in 2006, if I recall correctly.

While obviously we need more than one season's sim worth of data to draw any sort of conclusion, one might begin to assert that Madden's game simulation algorithm has not been updated to account for the de-emphasis on the running game and increase in proficiency of modern NFL passing offenses.

I would assume that this can be tuned to resemble the modern NFL to an extent. However, I do wonder by how much.
What were the pass attempts? Were they low? Or were the yards per pass play too low?

If the top 20 or so QBs are on average nearly 1,000 yards and 10 TDs below what they should be I would call that a major flaw in the sim engine. You'd think it would be an easy fix but it's been so bad for so long that either they can't fix it, don't know how to fix it, or simply don't care to bother fixing it.

Really does suck for us offline CFM guys. I like to run 60 plays and if I pass 55% of the time I will lead the league in passing yards and TDs by a mile every year.

The rushing is close but the feature backs are getting about 3 more carries a game than they should be.

Man I hope they fix this. Looks like I'll be playing a whole bunch of Play Now games until the NBA games drop. I know I won't be getting the digital download. I need to be able to trade this puppy in for a hoops game. No replay value for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 0

So the real life NFL passing numbers are the highest they've been in league history these last few years.....and the Madden sim passing numbers are the lowest they've ever been. Good job EA.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #103
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
30 is the new 50!

Seriously though I play both online and offline. Obviously it's not going to be that big of a deal online. Especially if you're in a full league but there will still be instances where games get simmed, so everyone should be unhappy with these numbers.

Has anyone from EA acknowledged this yet?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #104
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
30 is the new 50!

Seriously though I play both online and offline. Obviously it's not going to be that big of a deal online. Especially if you're in a full league but there will still be instances where games get simmed, so everyone should be unhappy with these numbers.

Has anyone from EA acknowledged this yet?
I'm not the hunt-a-developer-down type - they're plenty busy enough before fans start poking at them - but no one from EA Austin that I know of is responsive on Twitter at this point the way that, say, Clint Oldenberg at Tiburon is. Presumably they "read everything", however. Hopefully someone sees this and passes it along.

Simmed game stats matter to me because it's going to affect the balance of CPU quarterback progression in CFM, tilting it in favor of the user. If CPU QBs can't hit their season goals (depending on player scheme / type, a QB's season goal is either based on passing yardage or TDs), they're going to regress. To that end I hope EA can push up a hot fix relatively quickly; maybe this can be quickly adjusted via a tuning update / server-side correction for an one-player online CFM?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »