Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #41
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: New Shot Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
You'd rather every shot be 100% dice roll?
The current system, ratings play a bigger role. In this system, it seems user input is the bigger factor.

How long before us hardcore 2Kers master the timing windows? I'm sure the timing windows will still be at the top of a player's jump. What role does the ratings of the player play in this current system? I'm sure this may be answered but I don't see it answered in Beluba's explanation.

Not to continue rambling and to give my answer to your question, yes, I would prefer the current system with a little more 50/50 balance. It seems like they went to go fix the 'why am I missing A+ Excellent shots' complaints. Valid complaint but trying to please the community sometimes opens up a different another level with a different devil - I enjoy knowing my devil, thats all.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #42
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
For me, it's more of a concern of the mechanic itself. If the mechanic results in mastery of an animation taking precedence over the players ability then it will suck either way. Roster editors including myself often correct many shooting forms in the game, so I don't have any specific shooting forms in mind. And as suggested, I am hoping the shooting animation doesn't matter that much as it sounds like it may.
Shooting animation = shot release , yes it should matter

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Shooting animation = shot release , yes it should matter
Read the full trail of messages. I am not saying it shouldn't matter. I am saying the same thing JerzeyReign said above.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Depending on all accounted for factors, yes.

I asked above but post guys you are concerned about on both the bad shooter easy release and good shooter difficult release.
Czar, can you try this? Choose a shooting animation you are comfortable with and apply it to both Steph Curry and Kendrick Perkins. What are the results when shooting with both of them? I am questioning the impact of ratings on this system.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #45
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Guy's, defensive and shot quality will affect the meter so you will not me able to master it as Beluba said. Add this with the new shot fatigue system and there will be no masteing. You get a nice clean look the user still has to make the shot within the meter window. So the chances of a user making a very late released shot will slim to none, meaning no more lucky stuff.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #46
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.
How does this tie into online lag? Would be extremely difficult to get good timings due to the lag online.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 0

Are fadeaways still stiff? On the ps4 in 2k14 alot of the time when you press down on the left stick and square, you would just get the standard jumpshot instead of pulling off a fade away
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #48
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
Hey Beluga... appreciate the post.....I really do... but I have 2 quick question

1. Is the meter present during FT?
2. Does fatigue affects timing on the meter?
We did not implement the meter for FTs. Technical difficulties. I would like to re-visit that next year.

Yes, fatigue impacts the meter.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »