Home

Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #97
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
My comparison is that people want the ability to create actual NCAA draft classes. Madden has a licensing deal with the NFLPA and until those created players are part of the NFLPA (i.e drafted, signed as UDFA's) they are not protected under the PA's player likeness deal. That's all it takes is one Sam Keller to see himself in Madden for them to be right back in court. If you were an executive at EA would you put your company in that situation? Don't think of it as a gamer, think of it as a business owner. If you have already been involved in a few lawsuits for the same thing and that thing was part of the reason that caused you to lose one product. Why would you even take a chance with doing it again?
Again words matter. They don't want to create NCAA draft classes. They want to create Madden draft classes. The input line can simply be state or city. There doesn't have to be any reference to the NCAA body. But more importantly EA isn't offering the use of any NCAA player for profit or advertising.

The problem was EA creating(using) NCAA player likeness in an NCAA game.

Not the user creating likeness.

If the issue was simply recreating any likeness than there would be no ability to enter your name and likeness as an owner or GM. What's to stop you or me from creating ourselves and then suing EA? Or better yet Ed O'Bannon from popping in Madden and entering his name.

That wasn't the basis for the lawsuit. It was about using player likeness to advertise, promote, sell and profit from. User editing is far removed from the actual developer using a players picture as cover art.

But I do agree with you that they're scared to tow the line even if its clear they're not walking over it. I don't blame them either as you said. However I do think they need to come to terms with the reality that this type of editing exists without issue in PC gaming and other sports titles. Player editing/creating has never been challenged.

I.E.

LeBron creating himself in The Show's RTTS. No lawsuit has ever gone near that kind of stuff.

The Golf Club Published Courses
The OsoV2
Big Leaf of South Texas
Mt. Turner - Island Links

Last edited by RumbleCard; 08-07-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #98
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
However a fully editable roster from stock to draft classes to even in season would eliminate the need for progression and regression to really matter. You could self regulate everything
Oh gosh please no, I pay $60 to change the ratings myself? no thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #99
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Oh gosh please no, I pay $60 to change the ratings myself? no thanks.

MLB The Show 14 allows the user to change ratings if they want and it doesn't take away from the game at all. Regular progression regression still occurs.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #100
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill
Love all of the feedback guys! I am glad that most of you realize what a dedicated person Josh is to Connected Franchise Mode. He's also answering questions for us directly so be sure to keep 'em coming.
Can you please ask if there is ANY plan, short or long term to put in a weekly highlight/FA/Draft show. If no other question ever gets answered I atleast want to know if they have "plans" for it.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #101
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Josh said something different in the video. He stated that now you need to carry three QBs and it won't even let you in the game if you are not.

Going to the topic of draft classes and legal issues, I'm not buying it. The deal with the NCAA case was that EA was basically putting in real players on their real teams but changing their names and then allowing users to correct the names and share them. It would be very different in Madden where the user would basically be creating a college prospect from scratch.
This is from Tradition sports online, I didnt see the whole looman video.

"Injury Glitch in CFM:
What it all means:
The dreaded Quarterback injury glitch is now gone from the game. If you have 2 QBs on your depth chart and he gets injured, then you are in deep trouble. This will create more strategy within your depth charts. This also applies to other positional injury situations. Quarterback was just more frequent last release. "
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #102
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel like after watching the video, they are more concerned about improving the online cfm, as opposed to the offline.
Online is great, but I feel that ever since Madden first came online, CFM has taken a back seat to the developers at EA.
Modes like MUT that bring in money after release are the way of the future for EA and Madden. Until their is some healthy competition in the football video game world, we are going to keep dealing with them remvoing and readding features that we have grown to love over the last few years.
The improvements are awesome, but are they really worth the $60 upgrade?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #103
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
I feel like after watching the video, they are more concerned about improving the online cfm, as opposed to the offline.
Online is great, but I feel that ever since Madden first came online, CFM has taken a back seat to the developers at EA.
Modes like MUT that bring in money after release are the way of the future for EA and Madden. Until their is some healthy competition in the football video game world, we are going to keep dealing with them remvoing and readding features that we have grown to love over the last few years.
The improvements are awesome, but are they really worth the $60 upgrade?
You keep bringing up the "Take away then add later"..
When CCM first came out there were a lot of features we were used to that were gone due to the new system/rebuilding.
Hopefully over time more and more features we all loved make a return but they simply weren't removed just to add back later as a feature that you keep implying.

I also hope more time is spent on offline AI stuff as well .. sooner rather than later.
With that said..the 60.00 is well worth the upgrade. I'll be buying day 1.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #104
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
they simply weren't removed just to add back later as a feature that you keep implying.
I'm going to have to wait and see until I say the above is actually true. If 7-10 years from now no features are removed and things are just added, I'd say you are right. If in 5 years we're starting over again for whatever reason (new leaders) or things are removed, then it's pretty much business as usual.

For me, I just can't stomach the progression system, having to reach statistical goals, etc. But this years looks a little better than M25 in that part of the progression can be due to film study. I too am leaning towards getting M15. I already know what I won't like, so it won't be a shock, and some good things were added to CFM and to game play. Hope we both enjoy it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »