Home

Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #385
Banned

TFer832's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
The detailed player models are wonderful, and yes, they are much better than a game that was basically built form the original xbox (shouldn't they be?). However, great graphics mean nothing if it looks like dog poop when it moves, which Madden still suffers from. I can play APF today and still see the organic line play and the life that each player has. It looks and feels like football. Madden still looks weak in motion, even on the line. Better than past Maddens? Of course, but still not organic. I still see too much sliding around on the O line and what looks like robots scrambling to follow the sorting algorithm they built. I want to see a struggle at the line, which is what APF shows me. I don't feel that there is a simple win/loss outcome. Much of "winning" at the line of scrimmage does not equal beating your man and penetrating. That is one form of a "win", but ultimately winning depends on filling gaps, pushing/collapsing the pocket and setting edges. All three of those can be accomplished without a simple "disengage and sack QB" type of deal - which is EXACTLY what Madden 15 still does. It's much better than it was, but to be honest, it's not hard to improve on what was there before. With a bit more refinement, Madden's line play can really shine. The interactions between the O and D needs to become more organic.
I agree completely. In a weird way I sort of always preferred apf/nfl2k's graphics up until maybe now. Idk something about them just worked with their animations and player movement.

I don't want to get yelled at for talking too much about APF.. but in addition to organic line play in APF.. i sometimes just turn it on to see ball interactions. You can still get unreal tipped catches and tipped interceptions in that game. Madden still has almost none of those things. I think Ball physics is the next mountain to climb that would change the game (after animations & wr/db stuff). Removing the ball from being magnetized from players hands would make it 1000 times more organic and realistic.

The way this dev team is pushing the game.. I think if animations go through an overhaul... and if they continue to improve presentation and atmosphere aspects.. madden can really start becoming a sim title. I'm not convinced it is fully on that path yet tho.

Big F'n Deal was saying that other day about removing a lot of the visual feedback on higher difficulties... and I absolutely agree with this. The first thing I do when I play madden is remove the strategy pad display and player names. The emptier the screen.. the better to me.
We need like a hardcore COD mode for madden. Where if turned on, you don't see anything a player on the field wouldn't see. (obviously other than scoreboard, and user player ring)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #386
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Clint just confirmed the CPU will utilize the pass rush moves and even bluff blitz and QB contain using adaptive AI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #387
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I dont know how the player models looks relates to the animations. Im not even willing to give Madden 15 much credit until I see more. They continue to focus on individual post play animations when in real life most celebrations after a play are done in groups.

For example, whats more likely to happen after a tackle for a loss...one person celebrating by doing a dance while the rest of the team pumps their fists OR 3 or four of the tackler's teammates going over to congratulate him.

I say the second thing happens 70-80% of the time in the NFL when that play happens but I dont think I've seen any group celebrations in the videos I've seen of M15. Even if its in M15 it definitely doesnt happen enough to be realistic.
I would say based on the stream, which remember was trying to hide presentation, there were plenty of 2 man post play celebrations, group celebrations are usually only after TDs and I think there were only fgs in the stream. We'll know more after the presentation stream. What I did notice was how one player started to celebrate and another would come and interrupt the celebration to join them, I thought that was pretty cool. It looked fluid too, no awkward pauses or anything.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #388
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Clint just confirmed the CPU will utilize the pass rush moves and even bluff blitz and QB contain using adaptive AI

Sweet!

Link?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #389
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Sweet!

Link?
Here, appears the CPU won't use block steering but will use everything else:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ClintOldenberg
@tazdevil20 and yes, the CPU utilizes the same everything as the user except for block-steering. Your 4 studs will be studs.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #390
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFer832
I agree completely. In a weird way I sort of always preferred apf/nfl2k's graphics up until maybe now. Idk something about them just worked with their animations and player movement.

I don't want to get yelled at for talking too much about APF.. but in addition to organic line play in APF.. i sometimes just turn it on to see ball interactions. You can still get unreal tipped catches and tipped interceptions in that game. Madden still has almost none of those things. I think Ball physics is the next mountain to climb that would change the game (after animations & wr/db stuff). Removing the ball from being magnetized from players hands would make it 1000 times more organic and realistic.

The way this dev team is pushing the game.. I think if animations go through an overhaul... and if they continue to improve presentation and atmosphere aspects.. madden can really start becoming a sim title. I'm not convinced it is fully on that path yet tho.

Big F'n Deal was saying that other day about removing a lot of the visual feedback on higher difficulties... and I absolutely agree with this. The first thing I do when I play madden is remove the strategy pad display and player names. The emptier the screen.. the better to me.
We need like a hardcore COD mode for madden. Where if turned on, you don't see anything a player on the field wouldn't see. (obviously other than scoreboard, and user player ring)
Just look at EA's Fifa title to know that it can be done. From what I do see, there's certainly ball physics to the soccer ball. One can pass to a certain spot, and both the defender and offensive player can attack the ball. The ball in fifa is not exactly scripted so to speak. When the goalie kicks the ball to center field, the ball is "loose," and who gets the ball is dictated by who's in the proper position. During passes/crosses, it's really determined based on the players position on the field. You can overpass or underpass your intended target. No warping, no suction animation, no suction interactions, great footplanting, unadvertised true step, jostling between offensive and defensive player really fighting for the ball. Better pursuit angles. A lot of things done correctly in Fifa.

EA Madden needs to use the Ignite sharing feature and take these crucial gameplay element and put it in Madden. OS member Valdarez mentioned something about how EA Madden does things differently (something related to frame rates, etc. etc.), and Big FN Deal touched on it as well. But to take Madden to the next level, they really need to probably bring in a coder/programmer along with their tech from Fifa -- maybe they did this already, but they really need to be adamant about implementing some relevant Fifa technology even if it means rewriting the Madden code.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #391
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I would say based on the stream, which remember was trying to hide presentation, there were plenty of 2 man post play celebrations, group celebrations are usually only after TDs and I think there were only fgs in the stream. We'll know more after the presentation stream. What I did notice was how one player started to celebrate and another would come and interrupt the celebration to join them, I thought that was pretty cool. It looked fluid too, no awkward pauses or anything.

LOL, cmon man. You are so full of it. They werent trying to hide post play celebrations or replays. They showed damn near every one.

I just watched the video again and because I dont have **** to do at work today I decided to document how many 2 man celebrations there were. There were 7 two man post play animations out of over 50 plays. Thats less than 15% of plays.

There are opportunities for team celebrations that they missed. Go to 58:05. Allen gets a first down and runs out of bounds. Two of his teammates are less than a yard away from him. Now in real life, they go over to him and congratulate him on the catch. In Madden, they turn around and head for the huddle. Another missed opportunity is when Rivers throws a pick at 1:07:30 and not one Bronco teammate celebrates with the guy who got the pick.

I'm not acting like this part of the game is even that important. But lets not act act like they have done stuff here that is better than past games. From what I've seen theyve added three animations (helping a teammate up a high five and pushing a defensive teammate after a good play) and I swear I've seen two of those animations in other games. The high five is the only one that jumped out as new.

Last edited by aholbert32; 07-21-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #392
Banned

OVR: 0

As a harsh critic of Madden over the last several years I must say this video shows a lot of improvement and its even much improved over the E3 build, the pass defense is much better, tackling is way better than the E3 build, defenders no longer stand around while their teammate makes the tackle as much and offensive linemen no longer stand in place looking the opposite direction of the player they were blocking after they get beat.

The game still have a long way to go, the animations are still terrible (too many repeats and robotic looking) and lacking, and theirs still a lot of sliding going on. If they overhaul the animations, add a ton of new tackling, running, Qb dropback/throwing, pre-play Qb audible animations the game could be something special. Right now the current pre-play Qb audible animations are old, and look too fast and robotic, we need real life pre-play Qb animations, more blocking and wr/db interactions animations, and reduce foot sliding, oh and also add body catches, and catches where receivers fall to the ground after catching a inaccurate pass. Madden 15 is looking decent though, still don't think its good enough for me to buy a next-gen system yet though, Madden 16 looks to be the one for me if the address animations.

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 07-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »