Home

Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #273
Rookie

William85's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here

I feel like these defensive mechanics really bring a new thought process in when selecting a team to play with across all modes. Now , finding a team with an elite pass rush may be just as or more important than finding a stacked secondary. The last couple Maddens I
felt like I always played bend but don't break defense because the robo qbs were impossible to stop. Now I think the mechanics allow for some dominant performances.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #274
Banned

Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream Starts at 4:30 PM EST, Watch it Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Guys i think we probably need to stop worrying about the older teams, that really isn't relevant any more.
They're 100% relevant because most of those "older" guys still work there. I'm certain I mentioned this to you before. New leadership does not equal a "new team", and judging from the videos, it doesn't equal a new game either as this baby is dragging legacy issues like a crypt keeper drags an old corpse. There are improvements, but they amount to nothing more than putting new paint on an old broken down house.

Football starts upfront. If that's off, it's all a deck of card. The pocket is still off; you can see in the vid that if they wanted to drop back 30 yards they could've because the pocket wasn't forming realistically to prevent it. At some points the stepping up was just cosmetic because the rush posed no realistic threat to ever reaching the quarterback despite having a fully imposing rush!

I also can't ignore the lack of tight shots on players post-play in numerous situations where players would get tights on TV, yet the coaches get tights constantly in this game. In lieu of tights, they're overusing panoramics to the point that it's just annoying. What they're thinking, I don't know, but I know it's not accurate to a TV broadcast. APF did a phenomenal job with this very thing in 2007, no excuse for it not to be right in Madden this many years later. Sorry, just can't excuse that. Everything about presentation should be on point now.

Improvements are there, a number of good ones, too. But this game is years away on things that should've been nailed ages ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #275
Banned

Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream Starts at 4:30 PM EST, Watch it Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
This has to be the most positive Madden thread I've read in 4-5 years.
It just goes to show that there are rarely any blind madden haters as some accuse. There are just people that are fed up with subpar football games year after year. But when they just cut the bull**** and make a straight forward and informative video like they did here people are gonna get behind it. Hopefully Rex and the rest of these guys can keep it going the way it appears to be so we can finally get the football gaming genre up to par with where every else is at.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #276
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Apologies in advanced. Hate to be a debbie downer when everyone seems so optimistic. Just some things that caught my eye that I would like to mention. Hopefully Rex and Cam is reading. Just would like to see some things cleaned up to take Madden to the next level, more organic.

(A) Pocket Formation. OL receptive (back pedaling) vs. aggressively engaging (stepping forward). Real NFL films shows the OL more receptive (back pedaling when the ball is hiked). Madden gameplay often shows the OL aggressively engaging (stepping forward).

(B) Scripted blocking (with respect to animation). Madden still seems to have a 'scripted' blocking animation interaction. Often, the blocker would warp into a certain position so a certain blocking animation would play out. Closely look at the OL/DL interaction. During double team blocking is most apparent. Don't get me wrong, the idea/concept looks good, but the execution/implementation still needs to be more organic. The DL 'mission' needs to organically pursue with a purpose in mind to get to the quarterback and with the OL's 'mission' to organically with a purpose in mind to physically block the DL pursuit angles. Sometimes Madden looks more aesthetic than with a purpose.

C) True Step. This needs to be one of the top priorities, one of the absolute focal points in Madden 16. *I have included (at the very bottom) in blue where a very nicely done organic looking block happens and an organic defender pursuing the ball carrier is executed. This is what I am expecting theoretically if True Step completely works as intended. No warping, no suction blocking, no sliding into position. The blocker was beat because he was completely out of position.

Pocket Formation - @0:10 mark, @1:12 mark, @1:42 mark
- Real NFL footage with 49ers vs Panthers. Notice the Offensive Lineman is usually back pedaling, and "reactive" and "receptive" to the purusing defensive lineman. This allows an organic "pocket" to form. In most of the Madden footage, we see the (Guard, Center) OL move forward to engage the DL. This aesthetically looks like a pocket formation, but it doesn't look as organic as what I see in NFL footage. Key: Offensive Lineman: "Receptive, Reactive" vs "Forward Engagement"

"Protect the sticks" - can someone please further elaborate on the concept of protecting the sticks? I'm a little confused based on how the animation sequence is playing out.

@29:30 mark - The Carolina Panther defender seemingly knows where the Saints offensive player is going to be. Offensive player looks to be behind the defender, however the defender "knew" that the offensive player was going to cut back to the outside. Strange looking, psychic play.

============================================

@6:30 mark - saints defensive lineman awkward. Instead of continuing to pursuit the quarterback, he decides to turn upfield and engage with the offensive lineman. Would have like to see the saint's defensive lineman continue to pursue the quarterback. Concern is that these offensive/defensive personnel still engages in a 'script' manner, as oppose to having true awareness.

@19:42 mark - Disappoint to see 'sliding' or 'suctioned' into place for a double block. If you watch the videos just for all double block sequences, the same animation usually plays out where the OL speeds up to engage the block.

@21:04 mark - Denver Broncos (#74) sort of makes an initial block (basically down his stomach), but then mysteriously levitates back up to make a second block. Would have liked to have seen the Broncos #74 stay down after the initial block (simply based on #74 position immediately throwing the first initial block .. physics.)

@22:16 mark - outside run. San Diego Chargers OL #76 speeds up to "slide" step to the left to pick up the block. A warp type animation that true step should have/could have prevent. The block would have still been made, but just disappointed to see a "slide" happen.

@22:42 mark - San Diego #61 Center. Immediately after the ball is hiked, #61 doesn't attempt to block, instead simply stands there. Even if he wasn't 'meant' to do a double block, I would like to see him at least use his arms to quickly engage and disengage from the DL man.

@23:19 mark
- Same sequence as above. San Diego Chargers #78 get completely dominated and is about to fall over, and if physics were accounted for, should have fallen over. But unfortunately, heartbreakingly, #78 stays upright and continues to battle. San Diego Chargers #61 described above, does not engage.

@33:12 mark - another ultra quick 'slide' step to the left to pick up the block. The logic to throw the block in this case is perfectly fine, but the way it's executed is the concern. Based on position, the blocker should have remained on the right side when throwing the block. Instead, he speeds up the left to throw the block.

@33:12 mark - Circled in Blue. This is a gorgeous, much more organic, non scripted interaction. This is the type of blocking-pursuing interaction that I would like to see. This is what I hope true step would bring to the table. This is why it needs to be priority. The blocker was out of position. He did not mysteriously slide or suction to throw a block. The defender continue to pursue the ball carrier. The defender did not get sucked into a 'scripted' getting blocked animation. This is beautiful. This is why true step needs to be fully implemented for all 22 players on the field.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-20-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #277
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I noticed the starting lineup overlay has improved since E3

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could definitely tell that EA has been working on the presntation since E3. Hopefully they have made noticeable progress on the half time show since E3

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gman 18; 07-19-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #278
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream, Watch it Here

[Clint said something about working on True Step for OL the other day but he also mentioned that they are trying to figure out how to have all 22 players use True Step at the same time without their being performance issues. He said towards the beginning of the cycle it was like that but they had too many frame rate issues and are trying to figure out how to make it work without the frame rate issues happening.

Last edited by jpdavis82; 07-19-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #279
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
[Clint said something about working on True Step for OL the other day but he also mentioned that they are trying to figure out how to have all 22 players use True Step at the same time without their being performance issues. He said towards the beginning of the cycle it was like that but they had too many frame rate issues and are trying to figure out how to make it work without the frame rate issues happening.

Honestly, I think the community (I know I would) would like to see true step fully implemented for all 22 players as an alpha/beta footage even with any performance issues. How much frame rate issues are there really? If may not even be really a hindrance to overall playability.

True step is crucial to gameplay based on the clip mark that I have noted in the previous post. It should be a complete game changer.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 07-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #280
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

Realistic player movement for all twenty-two players should have taken precedence over new features like the tackle cone. I was hoping that realistic player movement for all twenty-two players would be addressed for current-gen Madden 25 last year; unfortunately, "TrueStep" suffered from poor implementation, just like many other new features over the years. I'm not buying another Madden until realistic player movement is implemented for all twenty-two players on the field.

Tiburon has not only not prioritized the most important new features and improvements needed, but also, new features and improvements they do choose have suffered from poor implementation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »