Home

Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #81
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by juduking
It looks like height and weight do not matter when tackling again this year. All of these tackles looked purely hit power ratings. Lynch gets trucked, Shonne Green gets dismantled, Matt Forte gets plowed. These are large very muscular human beings and are just getting thrown around like they are weightless. I asked Clint on twitter if he knew about editing height and weight but have yet to hear back from him. I hope they can clear it up and that this video was just showing "extreme" cases of big time hits.
That's my biggest issue. I get there's a hit power rating for fancy, powerful looking tackles. But it seems like the weight, size and strength of the ball carrier does not matter when it comes to the hit stick. Usually, the only thing that negates hit power, is trucking or elusiveness, and that should not be the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
The animations actually looked good there, except those tackles where it's like a WWE shoulder charge. Those have got to go Tiburon. If you gonna have those power hits the defender has to go down as well. This ain't wrestling. I'm trying to believe they're taking the sim route, but leaving stuff like this in, it's hard to tell.
Have to agree

Last edited by Demoncrom; 07-15-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I don't have a problem with the flying shoulder tackles. I see those all the time. I have a problem with the shoulder charges in Madden. Where the defender runs the player over and then stands over him with his chest out. I don't see those in the NFL. The only way I could even see it happening is if another player already knocked the ball carrier off balance and then someone else came in to finish the tackle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1hUdylmmQ
3:05, 3:25-3:26, 3:45, 3:58, 4:10, 5:08, 5:12, 5:28

I agree with the overall point though, the big boy tackles happen way too frequently and in situations that do not make sense. I only posted that vid because you said you don't see those plays in the NFL. Just stirring the pot a bit.

EDIT:

Just so people don't misunderstand me I thought I would say a few more things.

First I have another video for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQy8h1kxO6c
This is the famous 2k challenge/we are making a sim game vid. But direct your attention to the 3:40 mark. Not what I wanted to hear, but I also sympathize with Rex on this one. In the same interview we have a guy wanting "sim" gameplay and for EA to bring the "pop" back. Tough position.

EA needs to improve the physics on hits. In the Reed video and many other hits videos you will see guys, typically near the sideline, come in at roughly a 45 degree angle. Often times the result is that the ballcarrier's legs go flying. I rarely see this in Madden. Even if a defender comes at that angle the resulting hit is more of a forward type hit. The angles do not seem to matter enough in Madden. This should be corrected.

Finally, something that would alleviate the problem a great deal is to make the hard hit rating matter in a realistic way. As far as I know, and someone correct me if I am wrong, the rating primarily impacts fumble chance. If I try to hit stick with a CB who has a 55 hit power rating and 50 strength the result should be a comical failure most times. In Madden it is not. As it is now you can hit stick with corners all game, the only difference are the fumbles. Obviously we would prefer real physics to determine outcomes, but seeing as how that is not likely in the near future, instead restrict certain big hit animations. Flick the hit stick with your 185 lb corner all you want, but it should not trigger an actual big hit.

Physics and angles EA.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 07-16-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #84
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

OVR: 0

GG going to add on to ur comment here "If I try to hit stick with a CB who has a 55 hit power rating and 50 strength the result should be a comical failure most times. In Madden it is not. As it is now you can hit stick with corners all game, the only difference are the fumbles. Obviously we would prefer real physics to determine outcomes, but seeing as how that is not likely in the near future, instead restrict certain big hit animations. Flick the hit stick with your 185 lb corner all you want, but it should not trigger an actual big hit."

If they want to see how to implement hit stick failure ( animations)..see Eagles 2013 Patrick Chung and Cary Williams..just the game tape should provide alone what's should happen...as a die hard Eagles fan..it's a sin to highlight the negative.. But god..Eagles game tape of their defense over the past several years should be enough "material" for any dev to understand what it's like for bad tackles and bad attempted "big hits"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #85
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

game is looking great...cant wait
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #86
EA Game Changer

SmittyD81's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Et tu, Smitty?

I don't know you personally man but I did and have followed your Youtube videos, radio show, etc, kind of surprised maybe to see you take such a stance. I agree gamers expect to have a big impact occur when using a "big hit" button but that doesn't need to translate into an outcome out of context for the situation. I think any gamer would be just as satisfied to see the in-game player attempt a "big hit" and they receive the worst end of it if applicable, like in real life.
"Like I said, I agree that it should be nullified to an extent" is what I clearly stated. The type and style of big hit tackles need to be reduced and/or modified, and I agreed with Sage's point as I know where he's coming from.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #87
EA Game Changer

SmittyD81's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
90% of those hits involve the hitter going down as well. The majority of big hits in Madden look like it came out a fighting game. It's not big hits being in Madden that's in question, it's HOW they are done.
I understand what you're saying, but those types of big hits happen in the NFL. When trying to depict a DYNAMICALLY CHAOTIC sport like football, there is no manuscript to follow that says how a "big hit" can be depicted in video game form/real life, or who can make the big hit. As you seen in that video, the tackling can be VERY violent in appearance, but can also be very textbook too. ESPN, NFL Network or someones top 10 plays doesn't determine how an element can or should be played out. It just needs to be in the game as an available tool to be utilized. The caliber of the hit, depending on the player ratings, size, situation, etc. should determine how the hit can play out.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #88
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyD81
"Like I said, I agree that it should be nullified to an extent" is what I clearly stated. The type and style of big hit tackles need to be reduced and/or modified, and I agreed with Sage's point as I know where he's coming from.
I hear you man, it's just those caveats that get thrown out there to excuse or minimize Madden implementation issues, are besides the point, imo. Gamers expecting the big hit button to cause a violent collision doesn't justify or excuse the way those shoulder tackles can currently occur in Madden. Don't want to see you fall into that habit of feeling the need to try to spin a Madden gameplay issue into a positive, like I have seen so many others close to the creative process do.

That's what I was talking about in that post, anyway, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »