Home

OS Roundtable: Is Madden's Focus Where it Should Be?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Is Madden's Focus Where it Should Be? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #65
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: OS Roundtable: Is Madden's Focus Where it Should Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
There are definitely physics in a game like All-Pro Football 2K8, it's just that they're not procedurally generated like they are in Backbreaker or in Madden.

Physics are what allow larger running backs like Christian Okoye to fall forward while being tackled, whereas a smaller runner like Dave Meggett gets stopped in his tracks or pushed backwards.

Physics also allow a huge nose tackle like William Perry to push the center back into the quarterback's face, before he even attempts a pass rush "special move" animation. Conversely, a smaller tackle like Mike Golic will get pushed off the line of scrimmage by a skilled center like Dermontti Dawson, without the need for a silly, decleating "pancake" animation.

Every tackle and blocking collision in the game is judging the weight, direction and momentum of the colliding players to determine the type of animation that plays out (pushed back, pushed forward, neutral held up).
I think we're saying the same thing.

When folks say physics, I'm thinking real time physics, like Backbreaker. We agree that's not in 2K.

I simply think 2K did a better job programming the context of their tackle animations, considering angles, mementun & ratings. And they're also breakable animations, allowing for reactions to additional defenders coming in. If you're calling that physics, cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #66
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Where focus goes: energy follows and where energy flows: work is surely going on there.

I can drive the streets yet not focus on the streets.

I perceive that their focus is always drifting: north, south, east, west and never arriving at the said destination on the much too promised land of Madden euphoria..

Spoiler

In my perspective: the focus is feigned, like an attention deficit disorder recognized in an individual: the company heads do not stay on task long enough to have grasped and mastered the concepts in full that they intend to design and implement..

Spoiler

EA, the Senate, has to decide the State of their empire and not us.

If EA is going to cater to the 8-13 YO gamer and allow that gamer's deficiencies and skill to dictate their designs: then I see no hope of the game maturing in the simulation sense of matching the NFL designs.

EA Tiburon, like a Mayor of new City developments, should first design the streets, design the laws of the streets, and then certify the vehichles and drivers for the streets.

Spoiler

Once a gamer plays on the standard difficulty for Online Play: they should be challenged to play in respect to a professional manner and this impetus shall be set in accordance by circumstances and by AI.

Is EA Tiburon merely going about the motions of designing a simulation NFL product - mearly pointing, hinting at the essense but never touching on the true things and hitting the mark?

In response to the above: I believe, from experience, that they are merely pointing to the stars and moon and have no plans to actually deliver and hit the mark on those aims.

On the ground level, and face of things, the game remains to look like Football but in motion and under the hood it is a mockery and merely a hint to the essense of the NFL and should be further ahead in processing football mechanics and AI.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 06-23-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Given how offense-oriented of a game Madden has been has historically been, I don't understand how the answer to this question can possibly be "no".
But it's focus isn't on defense. It's on flashy back of the box features while we still see insane motion shifting.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #68
Rookie

Branchurian's Arena

Handsomehanz! GONE NOW, PREACH!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #69
MVP

Toupal's Arena

CUSTOM DRAFT CLASSES

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »