Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #321

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
What's his real name? What position did he hold? What was his exact involvement with the contract?
No idea, I'm not his PR rep nor am I friends with him on linkedin. I just know he's proven over the years to be correct with everything related to behind the scenes before it's been public knowledge.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other if you want to listen to what he's said, I was just pointing that out, take it for what it's worth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #322
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

I think everyone here can agree that we WANT to stop talking about how good the other games were. We WANT to forget about them, especially in this day and age where the technological advancements are FAR superior to what it was 10 years ago. We're sick and tired about reminiscing on the other games. But until we get a product that shows how far along we've come with the tech we have today, then can you really blame anyone for bringing up the past? Madden has never had off setting penalties..........That was done 10 years ago. That's acceptable today....how exactly? Madden has never had WR/DB interactions past 5 yards. That was done 10 years ago. Madden is JUST NOW getting a halftime show. That was done 10 years ago, and done better. Madden still does not have running styles. That was done 10 years ago. Madden has never had proper ball physics. That was done 10 years ago. It took Madden 10 years to get double team pass blocking......That was done 10 years ago.

None of that, is subject to my opinion, as anyone with the older game can verify it factitious.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #323
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
I don't get why you keep posting sales numbers? Everybody knows what those games sold.

About this DrJones cat. Okay, he worked for EA, so have thousands of other people. Doesn't mean he knows any more about the deal terms than anybody else. Gotta know his real name and the position he held before any weight can be put on that, man. Sorry, that's just nothing.

I mean, because a dude worked at Wal-Mart, that doesn't mean he had anything to do with their contract with AND1. EA is a big company, and only so many high rankers would have full knowledge of something like that, like their lawyers, CEO, Executive level dudes. I don't think any of them were hanging out on OS back then or even now, for real.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible. It could very well be true that it was a per unit deal. They're very common. However, I can't see how that would've benefited the NFL at the time, as many of these franchises that had an NFL license didn't sell well at all. I could however see a possibility where they base the terms on the companies size/market reach which is also very common, and it's a way to allow smaller companies an opportunity. I believe they currently do this with the mobile market.

What it all boils down to is proof. All I can go by is what has been proven. Before I can accept an internet post as fact, I have to know more about the background of the person posting. Even sometimes being close to something doesn't necessarily mean you know the ins and outs. I recall Donovan McNabb not being aware that games could end in a tie.

I recall an EA/Tiburon developer once arguing at another board about what constitutes an engine and he was a high-ranking dev inside the inner-workings of AAA game development. He was also very wrong.

I just need to see proof.

Last edited by FaceMask; 06-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #324

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible. It could very well be true that it was a per unit deal. They're very common. However, I can't see how that would've benefited the NFL at the time, as many of these franchises that had an NFL license didn't see well at all. I could however see a possibility where they base the terms on the companies size/market reach which is also very common, and it's a way to allow smaller companies an opportunity. I believe they currently do this with the mobile market.
I could be way off base but couldn't it have been that it was the same deal for any company that wanted it and that each deal wasn't specifically designed for a particular company?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #325
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
No idea, I'm not his PR rep nor am I friends with him on linkedin. I just know he's proven over the years to be correct with everything related to behind the scenes before it's been public knowledge.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other if you want to listen to what he's said, I was just pointing that out, take it for what it's worth.
A little snarky there.

Pete Dodd was correct a lot too at one time. Then DriveClub happened. But at least we knew his name and his position (or lack of it). This Jones cat we're talking about is just an anonymous guy on the net might've just been lucky enough to be considered credible. I'm just sayin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #326

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
A little snarky there.

Pete Dodd was correct a lot too at one time. Then DriveClub happened. But at least we knew his name and his position (or lack of it). This Jones cat we're talking about is just an anonymous guy on the net might've just been lucky enough to be considered credible. I'm just sayin.
Snarky? That certainly wasn't my intent but you're asking a question you know I don't know the answer to or it would have already been brought up.

I can appreciate being skeptical, again, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I can assure you he is far more credible than most here and certainly didn't get lucky on multiple occasions over the years but again, no biggie. Sorry it was brought up.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #327
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
I think everyone here can agree that we WANT to stop talking about how good the other games were. We WANT to forget about them, especially in this day and age where the technological advancements are FAR superior to what it was 10 years ago. We're sick and tired about reminiscing on the other games. But until we get a product that shows how far along we've come with the tech we have today, then can you really blame anyone for bringing up the past? Madden has never had off setting penalties..........That was done 10 years ago. That's acceptable today....how exactly? Madden has never had WR/DB interactions past 5 yards. That was done 10 years ago. Madden is JUST NOW getting a halftime show. That was done 10 years ago, and done better. Madden still does not have running styles. That was done 10 years ago. Madden has never had proper ball physics. That was done 10 years ago. It took Madden 10 years to get double team pass blocking......That was done 10 years ago.

None of that, is subject to my opinion, as anyone with the older game can verify it factitious.
This is exactly what I was saying in my previous post before it was attacked and misunderstood. Everyone wants to play the best, most comprehensive game. Everyone wants to go forward. I agree 100%.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #328
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
you know I don't know the answer to or it would have already been brought up.
Nah, I honestly thought you might've known. I didn't mean to sound all detective right there. My bad.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »