Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #305
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's very clear to me that no one at EA Tiburon is looking at those older football games for example or inspiration anymore; those games are not relevant in the modern sports gaming landscape, and I did not enter the Madden forum with the intent of discussing games not named Madden.
So you're closed minded to other peoples opinions, even when they have visual evidence supporting their opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #306
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerros
Not sure if its been already said but, the simple truth of it is Madden will never ever be the game we want it to be. I thought it was amusing when Rex Dickson kept saying they are chasing simulation. Madden will NEVER EVER be a simulaition of football for one reason. It's core audience. There are way too many people who know nothing about football's true fundamentals and football logic. Let's keep something in mind. Madden is not only played by grown men but you have teenagers, pre-teens and kids that play it. It would be stupid business practice to alienate your core audience. Those very same people are the main reason Madden will not and can not change. They want the game to be somewhat arcadey. They want to be able to spam the same money plays over and over. They want the broken A.I. and broken penalty system. This is the sad truth of it. You will NEVER EVER get the Madden game you want. EA is not in the business of losing money. And as much as I hate to say it, we the gamers who are geared more towards simulation are not the majority. 2k was ahead or their time and they were bold to make a game geared more towards real football logic. I applaud them for that but I'm telling you, the core audience for Madden who supports the game as is does NOT want a sim. There are too many variables and risk for EA to suddenly make that leap. That isn't to say they won't add little things here and there that are sim-like. But overall, the game will remain mostly arcadey. Why do you think they gave us defense but added all the arcade button prompts. The Tiger Woods kicking arch? A real sim doesn't need that crap. But, they have to have something to counter balance things whenever they do add something too close to the real thing. It's sad but that is the bottomline, Unless some company is bold enough to make a generic game that can be customized and actually gives EA some competition, the game will NEVER change. We will only see bits and pieces. And whats even worse, the bits and pieces we're getting this year are from older games. Backbreaker camera angle on Defense. The power meter button that was originally used in 2k on offense, and the overall Defense theme that was the same EXACT them in 05 when the Ravens were the SB champs. Been there, done that.
As a gamer that played NES, SNES, and ultimately stopped until I stumbled onto MLB the Show 09 on my buddy's PS3, from what I have read, doesn't Madden on the PS2/xbox offer a more simulation experience compare to the 360/PS3 offerings? Didn't the PS2/xbox Madden "simulation" versions sell quite a boatload? Did they also sell more than the PS3/360 versions? Did pre Madden 05 sell more than post Madden 05?

If and only if the PS2/XBOX was more simulation, why do people keep saying that EA Madden will forever cater to the ****** arcaders? Doesn't the PS2/XBOX era say differently and that simulation can be marketed and sold to ****** gamers?

Unless of course I'm mistaken and Madden never truly offered a simulation experience ever. Just curious.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 06-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #307
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
As a gamer that played NES, SNES, and ultimately stopped until I stumbled onto MLB the Show 09 on my buddy's PS3, from what I have read, doesn't Madden on the PS2/xbox offer a more simulation experience compare to the 360/PS3 offerings? Didn't the PS2/xbox Madden "simulation" versions sell quite a boatload? Did they also sell more than the PS3/360 versions? Did pre Madden 05 sell more than post Madden 05?

If and only if the PS2/XBOX was more simulation, why do people keep saying that EA Madden will forever cater to the ****** arcaders? Doesn't the PS2/XBOX era say differently and that simulation can be marketed and sold to ****** gamers?

Unless of course I'm mistaken and Madden never truly offered a simulation experience ever. Just curious.
Madden has offered simulation experience. The PS2/Xbox generation made some real strides in simulation gaming. When Madden hit the first wave of next gen consoles, it started going downhill.

Don't get me wrong, we had a brief resurgence with Madden 10. It had a couple of kinks but it was a great overall product. Simulation started taking a back seat once Ultimate Team began to take off.

Notice Madden now. They put a ton of effort and work into Ultimate team. New collections are released constantly, New Legends cards keep getting churned out, they made draft cards of all the 1st rounders after the NFL draft etc. EA pours a lot of their resources into ultimate team. Why? Becuase it makes a ton of money. They will continue with this approach.

They don't make a simulation style game because they don't need too anymore. We are the minority now. The majority of the fan base cares about MUT Content and things of that nature. Not to mention the new generation of Madden players don't even know what a simulation game is like. They've grown up on what Madden is today. They don't know how amazing the games of years past were because they either A)Weren't born, or B) too young to play video games, when those games came out.

Madden 05 came out close to 10 years ago. No one but the older fans of the game know how awesome that game was.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #308
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Yes, absolutely. Constructive criticism I am absolutely okay with and I have plenty of my own to offer on the topic of Madden.

However, the continued resurrection of ghosts in this forum to the detriment of any and all otherwise-positive discussions about Madden - however few of them exist given how much vitriol there is in this community - is not productive to this discussion, in my opinion. It's very clear to me that no one at EA Tiburon is looking at those older football games for example or inspiration anymore; those games are not relevant in the modern sports gaming landscape, and I did not enter the Madden forum with the intent of discussing games not named Madden.
How is it not relevant when it's showing how to have smooth animations and better gameplay? I'm pretty sure that's gonna be relevant to football gaming for a while or at least I hope it is. And it's not really realistic to come into a thread about Madden's exclusivity with the license and not expect to hear about other football video games.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #309
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
Madden has offered simulation experience. The PS2/Xbox generation made some real strides in simulation gaming. When Madden hit the first wave of next gen consoles, it started going downhill.

Don't get me wrong, we had a brief resurgence with Madden 10. It had a couple of kinks but it was a great overall product. Simulation started taking a back seat once Ultimate Team began to take off.

Notice Madden now. They put a ton of effort and work into Ultimate team. New collections are released constantly, New Legends cards keep getting churned out, they made draft cards of all the 1st rounders after the NFL draft etc. EA pours a lot of their resources into ultimate team. Why? Becuase it makes a ton of money. They will continue with this approach.

They don't make a simulation style game because they don't need too anymore. We are the minority now. The majority of the fan base cares about MUT Content and things of that nature. Not to mention the new generation of Madden players don't even know what a simulation game is like. They've grown up on what Madden is today. They don't know how amazing the games of years past were because they either A)Weren't born, or B) too young to play video games, when those games came out.

Madden 05 came out close to 10 years ago. No one but the older fans of the game know how awesome that game was.
Excellent post. I was going to touch on the bold, but you nailed it good sir.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #310
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24

So the argument that EA Madden largely wants to cater to ******s is not absolute. If the development team actually puts in the time and effort to better replicate football creating a solid simulation experience, and appropriately market it using terms and phrases that'll bait and hook ******s, it wouldn't or shouldn't actually turn off ******s would it considering it will be the only NFL game in town, right?

Simulation Madden can still revolve around MUT if that's what team EA Madden wants to do. Young kids these days pretty much can adapt to most video games, can they not? A simulation product could even strenghthen the brand.

Great marketing teams should be able to sell ice to eskimos, right? Great marketing teams should be able to sell a simulation experience to the ******s, right? Run exactly like Adrian Peterson, throw exactly like Tom Brady or Drew Brees, use Johnny Manzel and take the Browns to consecutive Superbowls, use your stick skills to overcome real football penalties. Run a 2 minute offense just like Peyton Manning. Demolish the competition using the Seattle Seahawk's defense. Shut out the competition and serve up a goose egg. See what a top running back sees. See what a top level QB sees. You. Are. In. Control. Isn't it just finding creative ways and word combinations to serve up simulation gameplay to the ******s?
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #311
Rookie

mellamoaaron's Arena

People are overstating NFL 2K5's importance in football gaming. Yes it was a great game at the time it came out, I played it religiously for quite some time, but since Madden 12, EA has been creating a game that is, in my opinion, better than NFL 2K5. NFL 2K5 is great, but let's not act like the game is some sim masterpiece, because it isn't. It played a good game of football and I will always remember some of the crazy games I have played during my time with the game, but I have moved on. I, for one, cannot wait for Madden 15 and the experience I am about to have with it, Tiburon with all their faults have been trying to right this ship and they have done an admirable job since 2012.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #312
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellamoaaron
People are overstating NFL 2K5's importance in football gaming. Yes it was a great game at the time it came out, I played it religiously for quite some time, but since Madden 12, EA has been creating a game that is, in my opinion, better than NFL 2K5. NFL 2K5 is great, but let's not act like the game is some sim masterpiece, because it isn't. It played a good game of football and I will always remember some of the crazy games I have played during my time with the game, but I have moved on. I, for one, cannot wait for Madden 15 and the experience I am about to have with it, Tiburon with all their faults have been trying to right this ship and they have done an admirable job since 2012.

Madden games that don't have real tacklng, real physics and enable zig zag arcade cut on dime running and warping wrs is not a good game.

Better than 2k5? Who knows but 2k5 had many things maddendoesnt have or took years for them to add. Ea taking their sweet old time each year. It goes all the way to when Ian was heading things, 3-yr plans. If 2k5 was still out, those three year plans go away and became need to innovate right now.

Remember when live was the dominant bball game? 2k didn't take that long to take over that market.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »